Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Owned Music

Options
  • 12-09-2001 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering would community owned mp3s / cds be legal ?
    If say a married couple owns a cd it belngs to both of them doesn't it ? They are both allowed to listen to it are they not ? What about some sort of community or coop ? A group of people buy cds as a community and these are shared through their community. Would this be allowed ?

RIAA or copyright experts please contribute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

im not a lawyer,but if no more money was being paid for the cd's then there is nothing they can do about it,read the little copyright j!ve on the inlay card...
    but the idea is ludicrous...it's only a n ideal....i cant stand my brother going near my cd's why would i let an entire town at them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The cds would be digitally stored on a computer. The hardcopy would be the backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Seems perfectly within your legal rights, although there would be several large loop-holes for people like metalica to jump through.
    Firstly a married couple are considered a joined unit under law, and so are considered the one person, afaik.

Second is they would have you dragged through court for so long, and at the cost of so much that you would wish you had just kept your ideas to yourself.

However if you were to setup such a scheme and then waited until someone such as metalica or sony got wind of it, and then just lay down and said, you know your right, what we're doing is wrong, we'll stop. I doubt they could press any charges against you once you ceased operations. Remember napster had a few million members before it was forced to close its doors.

Then again, the reason napster got in sh1te was cos they didnt charge ANY money and so the companies got nothing from it. So long as ye are paying some cash to them, I doubt they could really say a whole lot. I dont really know, I'd say discuss it with a proper commercial copyright lawyer and see what they think.

Ivan
    "...I dunno man, that seems like a lot of work."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

What about syndicates for the lotto ? They're all entitled to a share of the wealth. They are not a legally joined unit. Companies are the same. If they buy a cd its belong to the company which can be owned by several people.

Also if its a non-profit community, what are they going to sue for ? No money mate. I think boards.ie is the same. A Ltd company with the website being the only asset. DeVore could fill us in.

The reason Napster got in trouble was the whole piracy thing. Anyone could download any songs without paying the record company royalties.

However I don't think my idea is piracy. When you join the community you donate your cds to the community. We all own the cds. We are not sharing them with anyone outside the community.

I would speak to a copyright lawyer if I knew one and if I had the money to do so.

Advertisement