Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bladed boots (bloody Liverpool players)

• 07-10-2005 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

IRELAND'S World Cup dream is being threatened by a revolutionary football boot which has been branded as a dangerous fad.

The boots, which have bladed studs, have already been blamed for the injury which has ruled Roy Keane out of next Wednesday's tie with Switzerland and possibly out of the play-offs if Ireland reach them.

Now, it has emerged that Damien Duff had to have seven stitches inserted in a foot injury he sustained last Sunday while scoring for Chelsea against Liverpool.

Keane also sustained his injury against Liverpool, whose players are known to wear boots with bladed studs, and, as well as breaking the third toe on his left foot, he also sustained a gash as nasty as that inflicted on Duff last Sunday.

Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson is among the leading figures in the game calling for boots with bladed studs to be banned.

"The shot of Roy's injury shows the shape of a blade stud on his foot. The bladed studs are a danger.

"We have strong views about this, we don't allow our players to wear them as they can cause serious injuries.

"It's up to the clubs but I know a lot of them are refusing to allow players to wear them.

"We have photos

in the dressing room of some of the injuries caused by blades. Some of our academy boys had bad injuries, including some terrible facial injuries. Hopefully the fad will evaporate and they will think of something else," said Fergie.

Worryingly, Duff's injury is to the instep of his left foot and although he trained yesterday, he was forced to pull out of the shooting practice towards the end.

Clearly in pain, he hobbled to an empty dug-out where Brian Kerr came over and offered a few consoling words before making way for team surgeon John O'Byrne to remove the heavy bandaging on Duff's foot and examine the nasty looking injury.

After seeing Roy Keane, Clinton Morrison, Andy Reid and Gary Breen ruled out of the game because of suspension and injury, Ireland cannot afford to lose Duff for either of the next two games.

http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1483838

FFS, Duff better be OK.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Fergie should know about the dangers of boot injuries all to well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

we need hover boots!

Seriously though, I dont think its just blades causing the problem.
    Studs always caused injuries in the past anyway.
    If anything, the material boots are made of are lighter than ever before and I think they give less protection to the foot.
    I remember an old pair I had yonks ago that were like wearing tanks on my feet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

whiskeyman wrote:
    we need hover boots!

Seriously though, I dont think its just blades causing the problem.
    Studs always caused injuries in the past anyway.
    If anything, the material boots are made of are lighter than ever before and I think they give less protection to the foot.

I have to agree with whiskeyman on this one I dont see much of a problem with blades and in the league I play in pretty much every player wears blades and there is never really a problem. Boots are very light these days and that would be more of a cause for injury rather than bladed studs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Am I right in saying that bladed boots have been out for years and this is just another load of crap coming out of Ferguson's mouth. I have a pair myself and personally I would prefer to get hit by them than studs. The Irish media is just making a fuss over them cos of Duffer and Keane. If it had been Beckham and Lampard you wouldn't here half of this from them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

yom 1 wrote:
    Am I right in saying that bladed boots have been out for years and this is just another load of crap coming out of Ferguson's mouth. I have a pair myself and personally I would prefer to get hit by them than studs. The Irish media is just making a fuss over them cos of Duffer and Keane. If it had been Beckham and Lampard you wouldn't here half of this from them :rolleyes:
    Beckham invented the word metatarsal ffs. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Exactly! And the campaign from the papers to get him back to play was ridiculous.

whiskeyman wrote:
    Very good point whiskeyman.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

eirebhoy wrote:

Yeah but that wasn't from the fact that he got stood on/collided with a blade boot afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

yom 1 wrote:
    Yeah but that wasn't from the fact that he got stood on/collided with a blade boot afaik

I think you're missing the point there.

The English press are a million times worst than the Irish press at blowing things out of proportion!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On the subject of boots. Has anyone been into the sportshops looking at them lately. Nike have had a very lightweight pair knocking around for the last year or so. They ar every flimsy. I was thinking of getting a pair myself but the €175 price and the fact that they feel like they offer little or no protection turned me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Does the fact that the blades are thinner and therefore produce more pressure per sq inch then studs not matter?
    I'm sure it's a combination of both, but I don't remeber many players requiring 7 stiches in their foot from studs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

God I wish Kerr would lift this media shunning so we have to listen to anymore of these 'stories'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Those bladed boots are designed so that football players now suffer far less ankle injuries (when they're turning) then players with regular studs. Id say the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    God I wish Kerr would lift this media shunning so we have to listen to anymore of these 'stories'.
    He gave them a long interview this morning (or last night). All they wanted to talk about was his contract.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/story.asp?j=83905030&p=839x54x4&n=83905501&x=

Aye but wasn't that just a 1-off interview held at the media hotel? He's still not letting the press in to talk to him or his players afaik. Or should that be he's not letting them talk to anyone who's likely to play on saturday I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

And on the subject of lighter materials in football gear, these new footballs! Like kicking a baloon. When I were a lad the joys of being hungover on a sunday morn on yer local pub team praying to god you wouldnt have to head the two tonne leather mass heading for you!

Yeah it's a puffs game these days tbh. Sure didn't even Jeff Astle die from a header related brain injury because the ball was so hard in the 60's/70's?

Even In my school I remember we'd had to play soccer with GAA balls and they fúcking hurt when you headed em thats for sure! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ah yes the GAA balls, not designed with heading them in mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ah yes the GAA balls, not designed with heading them in mind!

They sure aren't , blades are more likely to cause a gash in a reckless tackle , but I don't think thats a big enough reason to outlaw them .

Players have been wearing them at least a good 6 or 7 years now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:

Manchester United boss Alex Ferguson is <b>among </b>the leading figures in the game calling for boots with bladed studs to be banned.

Indicates to me that Fergie is not alone in voicing concern.

If you are raked with any stud/blade it will damage you but I get the impression that these are injuries are not the result of raking .

Someone said the blades were designed to cut down on injuries , If Liverpool players were wearing them last season I don't think that aspect of the design is working very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I have to admit the first time i heard this story i thought it was a load of bollocks, and still do. "If everyone wore regular studs we would of won the world cup in 2006"...I can see it now.
    "The shot of Roy's injury shows the shape of a blade stud on his foot. The bladed studs are a danger.

Studs are dangerous fergie, get over it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement