Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House

Options
  • 07-10-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi guys bought myself a new house of the plans and the electrician is heading in to do his thing next week. What if any changes do you reckon i should do. theres no spots etc. Its my first tim eso any help would be brill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

blahblah06 wrote:
    Hi guys bought myself a new house of the plans and the electrician is heading in to do his thing next week. What if any changes do you reckon i should do. theres no spots etc. Its my first tim eso any help would be brill
    if you can afford it, double sockets with switches in the kitchen, especially above counter....you cannot have enough of them.

Get him to drop cable each side of the fireplace in the alcoves for wall lights if not included.

Also, get cable dropped for under the wall units in the kitchen and above if not supplied for effect lighting.

Make sure there is a socket in the landing at the top of the stairs.

ALso, include for wall lights in the bathroom above mirrors if not included.

If I think of anything else, I'll add.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

sockets EVERYWHERE, would be no harm to include appropriate cabling to the garden should you wish to add a shed at a later stage, if you are interested in networking CAT5 cabling, if you are interested in music, cabling for multi-room music distribution, ensure you have at least 2 lights in the attic - not somewhere you want to have shadows as you balance on beams - and a powerpoint, if you are interested in satellite tv, appropriate setup for splitting signal

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Just a side note on this.Just incase you dont know the electrican,extra sockets can cost you so watch your budget.No matter how much extra I put into my last house it still sold for same price as the next house without the extras.

Just something to think about in future.Goodluck with your new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Outside lights (front side & back)
    Power out to your future garden shed (covered above already)
    If you want to have lights on a future deck,
    Outdoor sockets for gardening equipment,
    Light in the attic (& socket too if you think you'll use it) (covered above already)
    Co-ax cabling to allow you the choice between installing satellite, internal aerials or cable tv (saves you running cable around the outside of the house)
    Socket on the landing for a vacuum cleaner (covered above already)
    Two-way light switch circuit to allow you turn on the downstairs hall light from upstairs (if applicable)
    Facility for strip lighting around units in kitchen

Personally I'd stay away from eyeball spotlights - can look great but bulb consumption can be heartbreaking. Also can't be removed without leaving holes in your ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Cheers for them guys. went out to see the house on saturday and it seems to have all the sockets in the right place. all the rooms have 2 double sockets. I will add some to the bathroom i reckon and the ones for outside i think i can get my dad to do as he did the ones in the family home. 2 months to move in WOOHOO hope it flys by

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote:
    . I will add some to the bathroom i reckon and the ones for outside i think i can get my dad to do as he did the ones in the family home. 2 months to move in WOOHOO hope it flys by
    sockets not ALLOWED in bathrooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'd put spots in the kitchen anyway and feeds for counter lights. outside socket sounds like a good idea too and then you can just get outside lights feeding off the socket done as a nixer in future. Extras can be quite pricey though. One of the DJ's from 2fm has bought a house in Swords recently. €10,000 extra for smart lighting alone.

Not sure what your plan for TV is, but what I did in my place 9 yrs ago was the following....

The cable from the provider ran from the front path to a juction box at the side of the house....from there I was told it was going to the living room and I could pay extra for extra TV points.

I asked them instead to run the cable from outside to the room under the stairs.

Then one weekend before all the plasterboard was put up, I got access to the house and ran coax from the room under the stairs to all the rooms I wanted to have TV in....basically all of the bedrooms/kitchen & living room.

This way I can direct the incoming signal to wherever I want in the house...

The quality of the signal tends to degrade with more than 3 connections, but its as good as you're gonna get and this is without the need for a booster.

Ok guys paid and all so here is what i got done..

Sitting Room:

6 Spots, extra Phone point & Extra Double Socket.

Kitchen:

6 Spots, Extra Double Socket, TV point & 2 underpress lights.

Downstairs Toilet:

1 Spot

Hall:

2 Spots with Double Socket.

Small bedroom:

Phone line and double socket.

Larg Bedroom:

TV point and double socket.

Attic:

Wired for phone, lights and double socket.

all for 970 euro what do use think ?

Oh and i forgot about the outside light.. thats included too

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

A shaver socket in the bathroom. One that will double for an electrical tooth brush

• Advertisement

2 l8 for changes now he went in today although i did cancel 2 phone lines due to the rental fee from eircom LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Shavers are usually standard in bathrooms these days Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Also in the process of getting a nes house.
    These points are very interesting. Our house has noyt yet come to the step when the electrician will start working at it.
    1. I was wondering, do you have to pay one for the extra sockets or do they do it for free!?
    2. I want to use the CAT5e cable so wondering would they allow a friend who is an alarm fitter to do the work or will the electricain do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I know it's done now, but anyway. For your spots, if you get a 24v transformer, there is an initial extra cost, but it does save on your bulbs. I'm in my house 18 months and with 6 spots in the kitchen and 6 in the sitting room, I still haven't a bulb blown, touch wood. Of course now I'll go home this evening and they'll all start blowing.

For your entertainment corner in your sitting room, you'll never have too many sockets (tv, dvd, stereo, video, sat. etc.)

Also, our small bedroom, we wired as an office; plenty of sockets tv & phone point.

Hi Noby. Cheers for the idea on the sockets ive already gotten extra there so no worrys.Only problem is i got a corner couch and the tv is going to be were the sun shines in but nothing i can do about that

Reg you need to pay extra for the sockets. mine were 45 but i hear there 80 plus with some people

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

blahblah06 wrote:
    Reg you need to pay extra for the sockets. mine were 45 but i hear there 80 plus with some people

Correct me if I am wrong but do you mean 45 Euros for a single socket? Jesus, what do they think, moeny grows on trees for us!
    I dunno but we were told that the electrician wanted to know if we wanted extra sockets (therefore we assumed - assumption being the mother of all **uck ups) that they were so nice that would do it for free!
    Thanks for letting me know anyway (that is why houses these days have soo few sockets).

Well its 45 euro for a double socket but that was very cheap mate only because its a new estate and everyone is getting things done

off the electrical track, but if they do not put in the isolation valves on the piepwork for each tap, etc, I would seriously think about getting them put in. Could save you a lot of bother in a few years to come when you will have to fix a tap, etc and you can just isolate at the tap instead of having to empty the system...

Advertisement