Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP is cr@p

• 07-10-2005 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Bought a portable for €250 a 1 gig flash card for €110 and 1 game for €49, half the game is locked and you have to pay to unlock it, the psp doesnt come with any games and PS2 games dont work if you put them on the flash. None of the videos I have on my pc will play on it and half the jpg's I put on it wont display. I borrowed some psp movies from a friend but they wont play because they are region 1. It's a fairly reasonable MP3 player but the volume is limited.
    My advice is dont waste your money, Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

haha u suck.

but seriously though, do yourself a favour and get yourself the 1.5 firmware. then you can do all the things you've been harping on about. lol did you seriously think sony would let you play games and videos just by putting them on flash? :double take:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I don't know what you mean that you have to pay to unlock half the game...

But videos will play if you use a converter, and jpegs should always display although there might be a size limit. Obviously PS2 games don't work, it's a different console. The movies are meant to be region locked, games aren't, but I believe there may be around the region locking anyway by downloading the version changer(I may be wrong). The volume of the mp3 player is poor, but it's improved if you use your own headphones not the ones that came with it.

Try www.pspupdates.com for helpful information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

WTF

-Ps2 is not a handheld, Ps2 is a completley different system, architecture maybe a bit similar but you have to be crazy to try play a ps2 iso.

-Movies are region locked, everyone knows.

-Videos dont work because they need to be converted to mp4 and put into a certain folder [google]

-Pics probably dont work [maybe] because they are too large, i tried an 11mb one.

It is a waste of money in a way and i could provide several VALID reasons, youre ones are a bit crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

haha u suck.

but seriously though, do yourself a favour and get yourself the 1.5 firmware. then you can do all the things you've been harping on about. lol did you seriously think sony would let you play games and videos just by putting them on flash? :double take:
    just out of suriousity how are you supposed to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You're not supposed to be able to play games from the mem stick and videos need to be converted first.

And to the OP, do some research before buying €410 worth of stuff :rolleyes:

What game are you talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

The PSP rocks!
    It will even rock more with the Datel x2 battery and 4gb hard drive..

Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭kirving

The PSP rocks!
    It will even rock more with the Datel x2 battery and 4gb hard drive..

Hakko
    4Gb HD? Whens that out?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭techguy

its out, check my thread about it for the link...

Hakko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

sickener mate you should of researched it better though especially when paying that ammount anyway I dont mean to sound like a fanboy but if you were looking for games I would of gone with the DS (cant wait for online service) and appearently the add on for the DS that makes it play movies it out in europe soon but i suppose the quality wouldnt be as good as the psp when it comes to movies
    i see it like this
    if you want to listen to music on the go get a mp3 player or a psp
    movies on the go get a really good mobile, a psp or possibly a DS
    if you want handhelf games i recommend the ds
    I know opinions will differ with mine
    feel free to comment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

Someone should close this, either the OP is a troll or is so absolutely balls to the wall dumb that the thread no longer warrants discussion. He may have had a valid title but none of his points made sense.

OP, please use google to answer ALL of your questions. And tell us what game requires you to pay for content. The only one even close I can think of is the extras for WipEout Pure you download for free...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Sunkist wrote:
    Bought a portable for €250 a 1 gig flash card for €110 and 1 game for €49, half the game is locked and you have to pay to unlock it, the psp doesnt come with any games and PS2 games dont work if you put them on the flash. None of the videos I have on my pc will play on it and half the jpg's I put on it wont display. I borrowed some psp movies from a friend but they wont play because they are region 1. It's a fairly reasonable MP3 player but the volume is limited.

i bet this guy burns toast every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Sunkist wrote:

Ok.....not to be a condesending **** or anything but you need to look into it more and see it's capabilities, you probably don't know an awful lot about it.Go get 1.5 firmware and read into it's endless possibilities and then make a judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

we are possibly dealing with the kind of guy who wonders why his cd's don't fit into his mp3 player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

we are possibly dealing with the kind of guy who wonders why his cd's don't fit into his mp3 player
    or why minidiscs wont fit into the PSP either :)

**but i thought it said the psp plays music**

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I kinda agree with the OP to a point, it was seriously over hyped IMO and I guess now the real capabilties are on show... over 400 yoyos down the drain...nasty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 FatBob

Its terrible to think that somebody would go out and pay near €400 for this and expect it to work like a fridge magnet,ie turn it on and wu hu never gona have to do anything again and it will do everything for me.I mean did you not read the instructions???the psp is possibly one of the greatest hand consels ever made and it kicks a$$ over the ds,the possibilitys wit the psp are endless,with the gig stick you could easily sqeeze 4 games onto it,but they have to be PSP GAMES.not PS2 GAMES?Thats just impossible it wud b like trying to squeeze a toaster into a vcr to make a cheese sandwich,theres wifi and all on this baby,theres web brousers,its got everything,one of the reasons y it probubly wont play your games and view your jpegs is cause u havent bothered to upgrade the firmware when y got it,the only problem with that though is you cant copy games,but if you have upgraded you can take it of,so my advice to you is read the bloody manual..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

That guy is either a complete idiot or a kid, psp is probably the best handheld console you can get at the moment. Ive a ds but compared to a psp it just looks so pointless although if command and conquer comes out on it ill start liking it again but by that time im sure some home brew person will have converted the pc version for the psp. Converting movies for it is a pain and the region locking on the umd movies is annoying but there are ways around it if your that bothered. Its hardly a practical mp3 player but the fact that it can do it is a nice little bonus.

As for unlocking games you seriously need to get a grip all games have some sort of unlocking involved otherwise there would be little point in playing them thats not a psp problem its yours. If you really thought it would play ps2 games you need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I got mine for fun.But I just use it now for learning new things and finding how to use a console to it's full potential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

Well I've owned my DS since last December, and my PSP since about two weeks ago... have to say that I am definitely impressed with the PSP. I got a fantastic price - 320 euro for a v1.50 Jap PSP with Ridge Racer, Wipeout Pure, Lumines, Mercury, 512MB Sandisk Memory Stick Duo Pro, Slip Case, Headphones & USB/Power Charger/Data Cable thing - and if it hadn't have been for that deal I would've waited a while.

The one thing I always objected to with the PSP was the need to get a decent sized memory stick to get full use out of it...but in some ways I see it's a great thing with all the homebrew around :)

Call me a geek but I do also enjoy fiddling around with it like that, setting up emu's and app's etc... it's all round a great gadget, and I don't even listen to mp3s or watch films on it yet. It's fun finding out what you can do... I think the OP needs to research a bit more...

(Still love my DS though, but the puzzler scene is tiring me out..)

Advertisement