Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop and BF2 - Opinions needed

Options
  • 07-10-2005 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm considering selling my IBM T41 and desktop, and buying one of these:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20051013.p.Laptop

I'd be planning to increase the RAM to 1GB and probably also the HD capacity, but would the video be up to it? (I currently have a 9800 Pro in the desktop).

If anyone has one of these, any opinions on what they're like would be good too.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Dell have an Inspiron for 800 *ex vat with an X300 in it.
    Similiar spec to Lidl, get your job to buy it for you to get it Vat free.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Don't have one of these but my (desktop) rig has pretty much the same specs (AMD64 3k, 9700 Pro), 'cept 1 GB instead of 512 MB as you plan to do.

With the 1Gb, you should be able to play in 1024, everything medium and no AA with no bother.

[guess]Only difference will be if you're playing on battery (instead of plugged in AC), some battery management stuff under the hood may cause some chugging compared to a desktop.[/guess]

EDIT - just had another look at the spec and it's a 9700, not a 9700 Pro, so take the above with a pinch of salt (I'd say it should still run it, but maybe in 800 instead of 1024 :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Hey guys,

I'm considering selling my IBM T41 and desktop, and buying one of these:

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/index.nsf/pages/c.o.oow.20051013.p.Laptop

I'd be planning to increase the RAM to 1GB and probably also the HD capacity, but would the video be up to it? (I currently have a 9800 Pro in the desktop).

If anyone has one of these, any opinions on what they're like would be good too.

Thanks!

Friend has laptop with similar specs bought from lidl. Runs fine.

Mobility 9700 runs similar in speed to a desktop 9600 Pro. Which will run bf2 fine.

Make sure you get the omega drives to get the most out of the mobilty 9700. Friends had issues with some games not running properly until they used the omegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i got a dell inspirion 9100 with that graphics card and I play bf2 on it at 1024x768 medium detail settings and its fine.

I tired the omega drivers recently and was well impressed with them, was getting up to 10fps extra but i connected it up to my tv one day to watch an episode of lost. had a few problems getting it to recognise the tv. sorted that. problem was when i turned my laptop on after that, every game i tried to play came up in a 1024*768 window surrounded by black.
    Unistalled the omega drivers and reinstalled them again but same thing happened. Think the omega uninstall mustnt erase everything properly. Had to revert to dell drivers but luckily they released an update to the latest Catalyst drivers.

So yeah, Omega drivers are great for games. but thats it.

Advertisement