Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FEAR and Black & White 2 reviews

Options
  • 07-10-2005 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

PC Gamer magazine this month has lenghty reviews of both BW2 and FEAR.

BW2 got 70-something. This seems pretty much in line with the majority of online reviews. Seems the game is a bit of a let-down. Pity. Looks like I'll wait until its in the bargain bin to pick it up.

FEAR got 89% - a very respectable score. They said it was excellent, brilliant etc - but just a tad short of HL2. To be honest I've got the game so hyped in my mind at this stage I was expecting to see at least a 90% Ah well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Branoic wrote:
    PC Gamer magazine this month has lenghty reviews of both BW2 and FEAR.

BW2 got 70-something. This seems pretty much in line with the majority of online reviews. Seems the game is a bit of a let-down. Pity. Looks like I'll wait until its in the bargain bin to pick it up.

FEAR got 89% - a very respectable score. They said it was excellent, brilliant etc - but just a tad short of HL2. To be honest I've got the game so hyped in my mind at this stage I was expecting to see at least a 90% Ah well.

surprised F.E.A.R didnt get higher. I was expecting mid 90s for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Eurogamer gave B&W2 6/10 IIRC
    Don't think I'll be buying that one (and the first one got a bit repetitive anyway)

Really looking forward to F.E.A.R. though

koneko wrote:
    Eurogamer gave B&W2 6/10 IIRC
    Don't think I'll be buying that one (and the first one got a bit repetitive anyway)

Really looking forward to F.E.A.R. though

I'll fear YOU. I dont know what I mean by that.

Tusky wrote:
    I'll fear YOU. I dont know what I mean by that.

naughty.gif

koneko wrote:
    naughty.gif

I think that shall be my new chat up line. Well I never had an old one asuch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

surprised F.E.A.R didnt get higher. I was expecting mid 90s for it.

The reviewer made the point that the games first 5 hours are never improved upon...its just the same enemies, same challenge all the way through. Thats why he didnt give it 90+ which seems fair. Even in the demo, I was kinda less than impressed by the style of play the slo-mo encourages:

1)come round corner
    2)slo-mo
    3)kill 2-3 guys
    4)step back around corner and wait for slo-mo bar to regenerate

And repeat steps 1-4 as many times as appropriate.

Dont get me wrong, Ill still buy it but its not a HL2 beater from what Ive seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I was curious to see what kind of review B&W2 would get... looking at the screenshots I was like "oh dear, looks like more of the same..."
    Don't think I'll bother with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Thrasher

Sand wrote:
    Dont get me wrong, Ill still buy it but its not a HL2 beater from what Ive seen.

But the 20 hours of HL2 too short, apparently. (Whine, whine, whine).

I'm with you 100% of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Downloaded the F.E.A.R demo last and just played it there. My God it's SOOOO demanding! Even with everything at the minimum my PC struggled. I guess P4 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM and 128Mb 9500 PRO just isn't enough... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

F.E.A.R is ****in awesome , go out and buy it and keep me in a job please lol :D

CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

really looking forward to fear, looks to have a pretty cool story as well as great gfx and action. can't wait to see the backstory clips on the Directors Edition, saw a few of the clips already and one 5 minute clip was better than the entire american remake of 'the ring' (not that thats too hard)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

been playing b&w2 i really enjoy it (i also loved the first one) i love the way the towns can be built so easily, and they look sooo good

there are a few slightly awkward controls & framerate can change sometimes for no reason but i like it alot plus i have a fluffy tiger called stripey fluff (my gf named him) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Downloaded the F.E.A.R demo last and just played it there. My God it's SOOOO demanding! Even with everything at the minimum my PC struggled. I guess P4 2.2GHz, 1GB RAM and 128Mb 9500 PRO just isn't enough... :(

Try a ATI 850! Still is demanding ... which I don't really get considering it looks sh*t compared to Doom 3 or HL2 .. the bit in the demo where you are in the hallway, the textures on the walls look worse than Max Payne 1 (which had a similar style level) and the rooms are empty and box looking, none of the dirt and little touches that made the HL2 levels come alive.

TBH not surprise it got 89% rather than a high 90s score, it seems very over hyped for what it actually was based on the demo. I am sure it is a good game, but not the next best FPS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Gamespot have their review up now - 91%

Regarding the textures - yes it has been mentioned in numerous reviews/previous and the textures and level design are not particularly impressive - textures bland and rooms and objects looking quite clunky.

BUT, every source says that the amazing particle effects more than makes up for this. I guess that at this point in time no one game can excel in everything. Doom 3 had fantastic lighting - but crap levels and boring gameplay. HL2 didn't do anything special in the lighting department, but had great gameplay, fantastic facial models and the most robust physics engine to date. FEAR seems to be shaping up to be nothing too special in the textures / environment department - but its got the most advanced opponent AI behaviour seen yet and stunning particle effects.

Now if only we could merge all three games into some sort of uber-monster.

Im running the demo on a 9600 pro 256 mb amd athlon 3200 with a gig of ram and I have it running on high everything. Really high resolution too, no slowdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

black and white 2 is one of the worse games ever made honestly Peter Molyneux should be done for fraud fu*king pathological lieing as*hole.Of all the things he promised so much was left out from huge game making things like epic battles (300 v 300 is epic? what happened to the 5000 v 5000 battles peter?) and award wining ai (its a total joke the enemy is retarded and the animal is a fool) to small things like walls that could be made taller and thicker.

On top of that lots of things have been reduced from the first game like only being around 6 miracles and 3 creatures to pick from 4 if your unlucky enough to have payed extra for the special edition also there’s no skirmish mode so no real replayablity etc etc etc plus its very buggy overall the game is a MASSIVE disappointment.

Avoid it till it’s patched heavily or until Peter Molyneux pays you to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

bizmark wrote:
    black and white 2 is one of the worse games ever made honestly Peter Molyneux should be done for fraud fu*king pathological lieing as*hole.Of all the things he promised so much was left out from huge game making things like epic battles (300 v 300 is epic? what happened to the 5000 v 5000 battles peter?) and award wining ai (its a total joke the enemy is retarded and the animal is a fool) to small things like walls that could be made taller and thicker.

On top of that lots of things have been reduced from the first game like only being around 6 miracles and 3 creatures to pick from 4 if your unlucky enough to have payed extra for the special edition also there’s no skirmish mode so no real replayablity etc etc etc plus its very buggy overall the game is a MASSIVE disappointment.

Avoid it till it’s patched heavily or until Peter Molyneux pays you to play it.
    wow didnt think it wud b that bad....
    u have played it right? im only going by reviws and was going to wait for atleast a demo or a reduced price to change my mind. just seems like a repeat of the first one, brillant idea but too many problems and annoying bugs, shame really.
    still really really really hoping that the movies will actaully work :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Tusky wrote:
    Im running the demo on a 9600 pro 256 mb amd athlon 3200 with a gig of ram and I have it running on high everything. Really high resolution too, no slowdown.

By right that should mean I wont have probs - preordered it from play a week ago and its on its way now, should have it on wednesday or thursday..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    wow didnt think it wud b that bad....
    u have played it right?

Course i never make a comment like above unless i have first hand experience but you know though what really pisses me off? the game screams potential you can just see how good and enjoyable the game could be if it wasn’t so buggy and broken which is very annoying no doubt i will have to shell out for an expansion pack after months of patching to get what i was duped into believing the game would be out of the box’s seems to be the current trend with pc games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Was playing B&W2 with the 1.1 patch ( 100MB btw :eek: ) there for a few hours earlier, and i have to say it is mediocre at best tbh. The tutorial is soooo long and boring as fcuk! ... i know yah can skip it but then you fee like your missing out on learning the "apparant" new cool things you can do in it.

gfx are dam nice... but only get a fps of 17-20 :confused: @ 16x12

CC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm really enjoying B&W2. Graphics are running quite nicely on mine at 1024x768, everything on full on an AMD 64 3000+ and a 6600GT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

FEAR demo ran fine on my duel 7800 SLI cards, 3.6ghz duel core

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Yeah, I prefer B&W2 to the first one. It was way too hard in the first one to play as the good side, but now with the impressiveness stat, you can concentrate on building your city, because everything you do helps you win. A huge improvement over the first game imo. (And I really liked the first one)

F.E.A.R. rocks, tbh

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

B&W2 has its good and bad much like the name.

it is buggy, the framerate will randomly crash into single figures making the game unplayable so that you have to quit back to the menu screen and reload your game.

but apart from that, the game is very good. if a little easy.

the only pet peeves i have is the clipping on the monsters models, as your creature develops he will be unique but several areas are modeled badly and dont scale well (check the jaw on the wolf)

There may only be 6 miracles but there is 4 Epic miracles (that i know of) and they look fantastic. i crapped myself when i lost a 250 strong unit of swordsmen to the siren, luckily i had my creature there casting fire and he was able to raze the enemy town :D

i dont want to patch the game till ive beaten it as the patch is incompatible with savegames and it says on the B&W2 website that the patch is unsupported....... and most of it is balancing issues with the RTS side.

I have yet to play or even take any kind of look at FEAR, so ill reserve any statement on it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Gizzard wrote:
    FEAR demo ran fine on my duel 7800 SLI cards, 3.6ghz duel core

I'm shocked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've only played a small portion of FEAR tonight so all i can really say about is that it is ****ing brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Yes - its goddamn amazing. I've played about 3 hours so far. The reviews and previews were not bullsh1tting about the scariness of the AI!

Some cool things I've noticed soldiers doing:

> Enemy soldier running on an elevated walkway. Easy pickings, methinks, I train my crosshair just in front of his path and open up. Instead of continueing to run into my bullets, he grabs the railing and leaps over it, falling to the ground below - where he then runs and hides and starts screaming "Sh1t!!"

> I have a soldier pinned down in an alcove in a narrow corridor. I reload my clip, and as I do so he breaks his cover and makes a run for it - dives to his belly and crawls out of the corridor through a broken grill.

> Last remaining soldier of a squad, have him pinned down behind some boxes and he's wounded. He's yelling that I've wiped out his whole squad and he's staying hidden - just lifting his arm up and firing around the room erratically. I toss a grenade behind his boxes. "Oh shi---" BOOM :D

> Then there's also been numerous instances of the behaviour talked about in reviews - soldiers diving through windows, pulling down shelves for cover, clearing computers off desks, trying to flank me and often succeeding.

Its stunning. In previous games things like all this would be scripted, but if I loaded up my quicksave after each of the events above, it would play out differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Now thats a game i'd pay to play haha!!
    Branoic wrote:
    Gamespot have their review up now - 91%

Regarding the textures - yes it has been mentioned in numerous reviews/previous and the textures and level design are not particularly impressive - textures bland and rooms and objects looking quite clunky.

BUT, every source says that the amazing particle effects more than makes up for this. I guess that at this point in time no one game can excel in everything. Doom 3 had fantastic lighting - but crap levels and boring gameplay. HL2 didn't do anything special in the lighting department, but had great gameplay, fantastic facial models and the most robust physics engine to date. FEAR seems to be shaping up to be nothing too special in the textures / environment department - but its got the most advanced opponent AI behaviour seen yet and stunning particle effects.

Now if only we could merge all three games into some sort of uber-monster.

Advertisement