Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Weekends eL Action

• 07-10-2005 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

FRIDAY OCTOBER 7
    EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
    Drogheda Utd -v- Shamrock Rvs 7.45
    United Park

Finn Harps -v- Derry City 8.00
    Finn Park

Shelbourne -v- St Pat's Ath 8.00
    Tolka Park

EIRCOM LEAGUE FIRST DIVISION
    Galway United -v- Kilkenny City 7.30
    Terryland Park

Limerick FC -v- Athlone Town 7.45
    Hogan Park

SUNDAY OCTOBER 9
    EIRCOM LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION
    Longford Town -v- Bray Wndrs 4.00
    Flancare Park

DROGHEDA UNITED v SHAMROCK ROVERS
    Drogheda captain Simon Webb will not be
    out for the rest of the season, as a
    shoulder injury suffered at Bray last
    week is not as serious as first feared.

Left-back Webb may even be back for the
    FAI Carlsberg Cup semi-final with Bray
    Wanderers in a fortnight.

Jermaine Sandvliet or Steven Gray is
    likely to deputise with Jason Gavin
    expected to come into central defence.

Keith Doyle is banned for Rovers with
    Mark Rutherford again set to slot in at
    left-back.

FINN HARPS v DERRY CITY
    Derry have the luxury of bringing a
    full-strength squad to Finn Park for
    the last northwest derby of the season.

With leaders Cork City not playing due
    to international commitments, Derry can
    regain top spot if they manage to
    extend their unbeaten run to a
    remarkable 25 games.

There is no little incentive for Harps
    either as they can leapfrog Waterford
    United at the bottom with victory.

Stephen Capper returns from a ban and
    may slot in at left-back for the now
    suspended Jonathan Minnock.

SHELBOURNE v ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC
    Injuries and suspensions greatly hamper
    St Pat's' hopes of ending a nine-match
    run without a win.

Robbie Doyle and Sean O'Connor are
    banned. Gerard Rowe - on loan from
    Shels - is ineligible, while Alan
    Reilly (calf) joins Chris Armstrong
    (knee) on the injured list.

Under-21s Peter Darcy and Robbie Smith
    come into the squad.

Shels have Stuart Byrne back from his
    prolonged ban but are without the
    suspended Jim Crawford. Midfielder Wes
    Hoolahan (calf) won't be risked.

Dissapointed Wes won't be playing, he's the exact type of player people love to watch. Ndo and Stewie apparently going to paired in central midfield, after Reynolds got a hiding in a nightclub recently.

Shels guesstimated team:

Delaney
    Heary - Hawkins - Rogers - Cahill
    Ryan - S Byrne - Ndo - Baker
    J Byrne - O’Neill/Crowe.

Really looking forward to this, first home game in three weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Beyond the northern derby there's not alot to shout about this week. It's a huge game though, Finn Harps need the points and would love nothing more than putting a dent in Derrys title chances in the process of getting them.

It'll be the worst Shels Pats game in years and years. Absolutley nothing to play for either way will lead to a crap crowd and crap atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

SPA have nothing to play for??? They have to play for their survival, and Shels have a slim chance at catching 2nd place. If Derry should lose tonight, and I pray to God they do, and Shels win, then it could be all to play for.

As for me, Im heading down to Hogan Park for this weekends glamour tie, between Limerick and the all conquering Athlone Town! Ought to be a cracker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Slash/ED wrote:
    It'll be the worst Shels Pats game in years and years. Absolutley nothing to play for either way will lead to a crap crowd and crap atmosphere.

Can't agree with you there. I'm really looking forward to this one. Getting a few mates to come as well. A Dublin derby is a Dublin derby regardless of circumstances, and we both do have something to play for. Plus, Pats are missing plenty of players which should make it even easier to beat them! (Please please please don't make me eat my words Shels!)

Pats aren't safe yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

gimmick wrote:
    As for me, Im heading down to Hogan Park for this weekends glamour tie, between Limerick and the all conquering Athlone Town! Ought to be a cracker!

let me know how that match went will you please :)

i was going to go to united park to watch the drogs against rovers but paying €20 in to that match is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Shels pats will be a let down me tinks , pats are going to have to play out of their skin to beat shell and with the injurys cant seen anyting other than a one way affair.

Derry at home to Harps cant see it any other way considering Derrys form.

Rovers Drogheda tie of the night. Should be a good tie want rovers to win. Wish I could be up there but being an odd 1000km away hampers that a bit. But will go for a tie on that one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Can't agree with you there. I'm really looking forward to this one. Getting a few mates to come as well. A Dublin derby is a Dublin derby regardless of circumstances, and we both do have something to play for. Plus, Pats are missing plenty of players which should make it even easier to beat them! (Please please please don't make me eat my words Shels!)

Pats aren't safe yet...

Pats are far from safe. Hopefully Shels will stuff them tonight. Waterford have 2 away games (UCD and Bray) before we play Pats at home.

Shels and Derry to win tonight pls.

gimmick wrote:
    SPA have nothing to play for??? They have to play for their survival, and Shels have a slim chance at catching 2nd place. If Derry should lose tonight, and I pray to God they do, and Shels win, then it could be all to play for.

Looking at the league table, I didn't realise Pats we're only 4 points off a play off spot. I still can't see them going down though.

And win lose or draw for Derry tonight, Shels have no chance whatsoever of getting second.

air_vent wrote:
    Shels pats will be a let down me tinks... cant seen anyting other than a one way affair.

Thats not a let-down for me!!

Slash/ED wrote:
    And win lose or draw for Derry tonight, Shels have no chance whatsoever of getting second.

A good proportion of the Shels squad are playing for their places here next season, I expect everyone to be on their toes tonight.

I reckon if Gary O'Neil gets a start he will do significant damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah it should be a good 'un, one way traffice will suit me fine! ;) Provided we win and I can stay on my feet it will have been a good night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Provided we win and I can stay on my feet it will have been a good night!

If you fall again tonight I will buy you a pint! :D

I'm expecting either a goal fest for Shels tonight or a dull frustrating night due to Shels' unpredictability this season but we should win tonight and I think we will.

I wonder what team Nutsy will go for, full strength or give some of the underused players like Fitzpatrick a go tonight?

In that case I plan on it! :) Had to get treatment the other day, knocked most of the vertibrae in my back out of place so they were rubbing and grinding and getting stuck, which wrecked tendons and then put force on my ribs and meant when I lay down it moved wierd and I could seemingly only breathe properly out of my left hand side! Quite odd! On the road to recovery though, but still takes me abotu 20 minutes to get out of bed in the morning! Haha.

We have to go full strength till the end of the season, if for nothing else but to gurantee third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ What the bloody hell did you do?

gimmick wrote:
    ^ What the bloody hell did you do?

Fell. Twice. The second time down around four rows of chairs :D

Hopping down seats at start of second half in the Brandywell. Baggy trousers catch about 5 rows back, I flip over and land on my back/head right down at the front (solid concrete!). Apparently had I not been intoxicated and actually braced myself for the impact, I would have at the very least fractured my spine, cuz it was borderline as it was without any extra muscle force/restraint! Oh the joys of it all! ;):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

0-0 tonight will do me, we wont score unless Lausen does it all on his own. Playing a 3-6-1 ,Pats asked could Rowe play as Doyle suspended , Armstrong out and umm thats it for our 1st team strikers. Hope Shels say no and Robbie Smith an actual good player gets to play a full game.

Oh Kevin Keegan moment "i would love it etc:" Would end Shels season if we beat them and then we only need 1 more point to stay up.

Drogheda Utd -v- Shamrock Rvs 3-1 Home

Finn Harps -v- Derry City 1-0 Home
    Finn Park

Shelbourne -v- St Pat's Ath 0-0
    Tolka Park

kdjac

Our season ended last friday.

Slash/ED wrote:
    Our season ended last friday.
    Its true. But we have to maintain some form of hope, if we can't in the stands hwo can we expect the lads on the pitch to play well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fancy Rovers to push further away from the danger zone tonight, leaving the bottom three (yes that includes Pat's :) ) to fight it out. The fact that I'll miss the game because of work is another good omen for the Hoops.

• Advertisement

Hopping down seats at start of second half in the Brandywell. Baggy trousers catch about 5 rows back, I flip over and land on my back/head right down at the front (solid concrete!). Apparently had I not been intoxicated and actually braced myself for the impact, I would have at the very least fractured my spine, cuz it was borderline as it was without any extra muscle force/restraint! Oh the joys of it all! ;):)

Fricking hell! I was laughing until the spine bit... You were lucky man!

Moral of the story dont wear your da`s trousers.

:D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Results

Drogs 0 Rovers 0

Harps 0 Derry 1 :D:D:D
    Shels 1 Pats 0 :D:D:D

Good night for the Blues! :D

Hutton missed two penaltys id say he was shiting himself up until the 88th min when they got the winner , mr old relaible :rolleyes:

Just in from Tolka, sh1te game but a deserved win for Shels. Great goal from Gary O'Neil to settle it.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I reckon if Gary O'Neil gets a start he will do significant damage.

Don't like to blow my own trumpet or anything but a match-winning goal and man-of-the-match... ;)

Only kidding, he was really the best of an average lot. I thought Ndo did well, most Shels players were 6/7 out of 10. Pats were fairly poor all night.

Shels hit the post twice (or was it three times) and Barry Ryan made a great save from Bobby Ryan.

Atmosphere was strange, and I was ashamed by the Mbabazi chants, they were totally uncalled for. It felt like most of the Shels "fans" at the front were more interested in confrontation than actually watching the game and supporting the team. Ah well.

3 points, can't complain.

[edit] - Heres the goal - Gary O'Neil

Beautiful goal, I think I'll watch it again!!

Just downloading now getting ready to watch better be worth it ;)

right maybe im stupid but the download only opens a commentry file .avi no scenes not worth it :mad:

Crappy game both teams were fairly **** Pats just shaded it in the who could be ****ter, didnt think Shels deserved a goal. Most of the play was up in the air as Pats didnt intend on scoring at any time.

Least Rovers didnt win and harps lost, playing Rovers an Waterford in next 3 games so see who the ****test is by the end of it.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Crappy game both teams were fairly **** Pats just shaded it in the who could be ****ter, didnt think Shels deserved a goal. Most of the play was up in the air as Pats didnt intend on scoring at any time.

Least Rovers didnt win and harps lost, playing Rovers an Waterford in next 3 games so see who the ****test is by the end of it.

kdjac

see you in division 1 next season mate :)

• Advertisement

Sarge wrote:
    Just downloading now getting ready to watch better be worth it ;)

right maybe im stupid but the download only opens a commentry file .avi no scenes not worth it :mad:
    You mightn't have the required codecs. I have video with it, tbh 4 megs for about 10 secs of audio should hint at something being up! ;):)

It needs DivX.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1009/longford.html?rss

Apparently Shay Kelly picked up a serious injury today in the Longford-Bray game, RTE says it was a broken vertebrae. I'm sure I speak for all eL fans when I say get well soon and I hope it isn't as serious at it may immediately seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

The Examiner says there was 3,500 at the St. Pats vs Shels match.

Is that a good estimate?

It would seem about right, I would have guesstimated about 2,700 or so, but thats just me guessing :)

The Examiner says there was 3,500 at the St. Pats vs Shels match.

Is that a good estimate?

To quote Dougal Maguire, "I'm no good at judging the size of crowds..." but I reckon it was only 2,500 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    To quote Dougal Maguire, "I'm no good at judging the size of crowds..." but I reckon it was only 2,500 or so.

I'm with Joe on this, but I'm a touch Dougal meself... :D

Why are there no accurate crowd figures provided for EL games? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I'm with Joe on this, but I'm a touch Dougal meself... :D

Why are there no accurate crowd figures provided for EL games? :confused:

Yeah, its not exactly massive numbers they have to count. :D

The less they put down on the official paper they less they give the FAi , hence more income for the club :D its the reason why you never see a accurate count.

Advertisement