Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom caps

Options
  • 12-09-2001 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I don't know if this has allreday been posted, but I rang eircoms ADSL number and I was given the "final" caps:

I-Stream solo - 3Gigs
    I-Stream multi - 4Gigs
    I-Stream plus - 6Gigs
    Whatever the last package is - Unlimited

I was also told that I-Stream solo was originally going to be 1Gig as said here, but was increased due to the "outrage". The prices are still ridiculus IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

So instead of mercilessly gauging us, they are just gauging us!
    I hate this crap, why the hell can’t we just be treated fairly for once..

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

What's the unit cost once you exceed the cap? or did they supply that information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whoeverthehell

He didn't say and I didn't ask, After hearing how small the caps were I just said thanks and put the phone down. I imagine it'll be something far too expensive, as is everything else eircom related.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

How can we voice our complaints so that Eircom actually pay attention ?

They really need to hear that we want NO cap, and a lower price for the Solo service.

Sorry ... we don't want ... we DEMAND.

I wish there was a further way to voice our disgust !! :mad:

You are also charged normal phone rental.
    You are also charged 2.26P (exc VAT) for every MB excess to CAP.

Addition ...
    Forgot the 12 month contract

• Advertisement

Not having a cap isn't an option for eircom, they do have to make some profit from this and not having a cap would cost them a fortune. A 3Gig cap is fair for the basic package, but the price isn't. A 3Gig service should cost £30 - £35 maximum IMO, with a 6Gig service at £50.

And if you'll notice the I-Stream multi has a cap of four gigs, yet the solo has a cap of three. Now if the multi is for 4 computers shouldn't it's cap have been increased to 12Gigs when the solo was increased to 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

And...if you notice, the only option for the Home user is the Solo pack. No chane of paying more, apart for the 3 cents per MB over the 3GB limit. They say they'll have more options in the New Year for the domestic user - I dread to think how crappy they are going to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Not having a cap isn't an option for eircom, they do have to make some profit from this and not having a cap would cost them a fortune. [/B]

How on earth is it going to cost eircom a fortune? This is broadband after all.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why must Eircom have a cap ?? Other providers don't, especially in the US !!

It's a disgrace to have a cap, especially with such a high price.

Eircom shouldn't be allowed get away with this.

As for a new package in the new year ... if anyone else offers a cheaper service (Esat or Colt), then I can see people subscribing to their services.

I presume that Eircom, and indeed every ADSL provider, would not have any caps if it didn't cost them for use of all that bandwidth, and if it's there it will most likely be used. If I'm wrong feel free to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

this is a deliberate! over pricing and band width capping so they can say "there is no demand!"

there is no way in hell! can you enjoy any kind of streaming with a 3gig cap!
    min should be 10g (AND THIS IS ABSOLUTE! MIN!)
    montly should be no more than £50.
    Instalation charge!! is EXTORTION!!! (WHAT IS IT THAT COST 125 TO INSTALL!??) THIS IS JUST MILKING THE PUBLIC.
    we needs to get another campaign going to email and call eircom and lett them now that this is an absolute! insult!
    and should be no more than 1p per extra mb
    how can this price structure be aimed at the masses!???
    it completely OUTRAGOUS!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

aNYONE INTERESTED IN THIS CAMPAIGN OR IS OFFLINE GOING TO LOOK IN TO THIS COMPLETE! INSULT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

Originally posted by Whoeverthehell
    Not having a cap isn't an option for eircom, they do have to make some profit from this and not having a cap would cost them a fortune.

A cap is another money making scheme akin to the minimum call charge. Don't forget that Eircom will be making a lot of profit on people who barely use the service.

If you are offering ADSL at a fixed price you assume that some will be light users, others heavier users and the rest somewhere in between. If the sum total of all the usage is equal to about 3gb per customer and Eircom have budgeted for that then they have not lost out because everyone has already paid for 3gb. However, by explicity capping it and setting a per mb charge (rather than being more ambigous with a "fair use" AUP and warning letters about really heavy usage etc.) Eircom are effectly reselling the bandwidth/capacity that the light users have already paid for to the heavy users!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

are ireland-offline recommending that people buy this product at this price or hold off ?

I'm currently on the trial, but I'd gladly ring them up and tell them to take it back and stick it...

Why can't the government just CPO their network (or the bandwidth) like they are doing to allow similar infrastructure development (roads), or penalise them for hogging their network (like they did with development land)...Is it just not an important enough issue ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

it is important.. in fact its a national concern,
    the the goverment is too shortsighted to know this, the think it for busness only!!?? or just nerds.
    how the hell is E buisness going to thrive if there is no one!
    to access the sevices they are tying to povide!?

Ebusness needs users and

users need broadband access! for the masses

this is not going to happen aslong as one monoply is monopolising the whole system!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by neverhappen
    are ireland-offline recommending that people buy this product at this price or hold off ?

I am not speaking for IrelandOffline but I would suggest that you decide for yourself.

If you are happy with the service and the price then you might consider remaining with Eircom but don't forget the 12 month lock-in.

I am not at all hopeful that we will get substantially better deals from Esat or anyone else.

Thank you Neil, however I very much doubt Eircom will remove it's caps regaurdless of public demand. They will however, as they allready have, increase them due to public pressure, and that, along with pricing, is where we should focus. They could introduce an unlimited package for the home user, but I imagine it would be around £90 at least. We'll just have to wait and see what the ODTR says about all this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fergus2

Well, there is no way in hell I'm signing up to a year of minimum two-monthly phone bills of IRP 218 (incl. VAT). The basic minimum charge is too high. You would want to be virtually living on the internet day and night, not doing anything else and not going on holidays to be able to justify that.

Originally posted by Fergus2
    Well, there is no way in hell I'm signing up to a year of minimum two-monthly phone bills of IRP 218 (incl. VAT). The basic minimum charge is too high. You would want to be virtually living on the internet day and night, not doing anything else and not going on holidays to be able to justify that.

Of course then you would be hit by the per Mb charge :(

You would want to be virtually living on the internet day and night, not doing anything else and not going on holidays to be able to justify that.

then you'll be paying extra for anything over 3G.

My question is will a concerted effort to boycott the service be of any use, or will they just withdraw it ?

Has anyone asked the "compulsory purchase order" question before ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Has anyone asked the "compulsory purchase order" question before ?

There would have to be special legislation drafted, and enacted for this to work. Remember what happened when ODTR tried to throw its weight around? They were taken to Court. Eircom would fight any such proposed legislation all the way to the highest Courts in the EU, and that's no maybe!

• Advertisement

I think the boycott would work, if it is made crystal clear to Eircom and the media that the reason noone is taking up ADSL is because of Eircom. Don't give them the oppertunity to say there is no demand.

Eircom would fight any such proposed legislation all the way to the highest Courts in the EU, and that's no maybe!

So what ? Take them on. It is the countries infrastructure that is being held to ransom by these bandits. Why let them get away ?

I think the boycott would work, if it is made crystal clear to Eircom and the media that the reason noone is taking up ADSL is because of Eircom. Don't give them the oppertunity to say there is no demand.

And while we're at it, start using esat phones... starve the b****ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

Perhaps a petition, consisting of actual eircom account holders names*, of people who want to get ADSL but are refusing to do so until it is reasonably priced?

I just did a bit of surfing, I checked the offerings from the 3 UK DSL providers I could think of, BTopenworld, Freeserve and Blueyonder.
    None of them have caps that I could see, plenty of talk about unlimited surfing and stuff though. They all had prices significantly lower then Eircon’s. Now how is that in any way fair?

:mad:

I just did a bit of surfing, I checked the offerings from the 3 UK DSL providers I could think of, BTopenworld, Freeserve and Blueyonder.

Is this the sort of information that the ODTR should be using to decide at what level to fix the price ?

If those co's can do it over there, why can't eircom here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by BoneCollector

Instalation charge!! is EXTORTION!!! (WHAT IS IT THAT COST 125 TO INSTALL!??) THIS IS JUST MILKING THE PUBLIC.

As with the 99 quid just to get a phone line at a new location (ie, no phone line there previously).

So if you are at home, with no phone line (let's just suppose), you'll be paying 99 quid, then the 125 quid (same thing if you're on isdn to get it knocked back to a regular line)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

If those co's can do it over there, why can't eircom here ?

(This isn't a smart alec answer)

The answer to that question is obvious. Because they think they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

neverhappen if your in dublin, i fully advise going to ntl, great service

• Advertisement

Well it did take them a good 3 hours to install the cabling for the dsl trial for me, so if they have to charge once off for that, I don't mind paying, but the monthly charge and the cap.... no thanks.

Advertisement