Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom caps

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

neverhappen if your in dublin, i fully advise going to ntl, great service

I am. I will...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

quote:
    Originally posted by neverhappen

If those co's can do it over there, why can't eircom here ?

(This isn't a smart alec answer)

The answer to that question is obvious. Because they think they can.

Which is fair enough (if possibly immoral) when you have shareholders to answer to (as if), but it is then up to the government and the regulator to keep them straight, so why arent then doing it ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

Originally posted by neverhappen

I am. I will...
    i post a topic in a secound i hope you will find interesting about ntls service

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I was just wondering. If eircon are only offering solo to home users what do people with two machines at home do?? In my case i have a laptop which i use for business and connecting to my office (I feel surfing on this machine is inapropriate and it's not as powerfull as the desktop) the desktop i use for surfing and downloading.
    Is eircon excluding me from using ADSL because i need two connections at home?? Surely eircon would try to focus this service at home business users off all types?? I'm aware of the various methods of internet sharing but now I'm told I can't do that?? so what the hell am i to do!!
    This cap limit eircon want to impose is the biggest joke i've ever heard. I have relatives in the UK and the US that are already enjoying ADSL at a significantly lower price without a cap. I wish someone from eircon could tell us why exactly the caps are there and why we have to pay through the nose for a service which is simpler to install then ISDN.
    PLEASE NO MORE BULLSH!T AND RUBBISH MARKETING!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whoeverthehell

It's most likely there to prevent more than one person using the same connection at the same time. If it's just you using two computers one at a time there should be no violation. And if there is, well it doesn't make much sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fergus2

All this rubbish about how many computers you can connect to your DSL connection and download limits is a total farce. Eircom provide a network connection with a specified peak bandwidth. Nothing else. They should have no right to dictate what combination of data generated from what combination of equipment that you can stuff down it. This is purely a marketing con to get people to pay more for exactly the same thing.

Remember what ADSL really is. You are sharing a fixed-rate fixed-fee 1Mb internet connection with 23 (or more) other users and the performance at any time is a lottery. Number of machines you can connect and 'download allowances' are purely inventions of the eircom marketing department's limited minds.

Worse still, the biggest ongoing cost for providing this service is probably the mechanism for measuring the 'megabytes' and billing for same. Farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Whoeverthehell

Well then, we are getting royally screwed.

Is there any way to estimate what it costs Eircom to provide ADSL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

yes the whole idea that you can only connect one pc is! complete mis-information just showing you that eircom havent a clue what! there offering or how to market it successfully, and as far as any calculations for the charges they implement, i would say the only concern to them is gettting as much as they can as quickly as they can and f*&^ everyone else.

as someone just mentioned, what do they do when people put pressure? they hike the price up!?? it was 77 now its up to 99??? and thats before anyone gets it!?

This has to stop!

unfortunatly NO ONE in this country seems to have any Teeth!!
    including the ODTR(now theres a f*&^ing laugh!)
    it can not! get involved unless the people who are the sole cause of the broadbandless Ireland ASK!? the ODTR to intervein!?
    OH Yeah!! i can see that happening soon!???
    So Who can we the users turn too?? that HAS! any teeth?

We ourselves have to mobilize and put presure! and i mean REAL! presure and if need be get the EU involved.
    or is this the case that our Bark! is worse than our Bite!
    (cause we only use dentures and they keep falling out!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭qwertyup

I am just beggining to wonder at what in hell these prices are competitive in relation to!

I mean, pretty much the only other broadband option available at the moment is Chorus' Powernet. So surely Eircom shoud be undercutting said product.

However, it doesnt seem to be so. They have the same cap, double the monthly fee, a mandatory installation fee (Unlike Chorus), etc etc.

I mean, what the hell is wrong with these people.

The company boasts that it is investing 98 million in this.

If it gets 100,000 customers, which I figure is its lowest aim possible, it would have that investment recouped in little over 3 years.

Thats the sum of their 5 year budget from what I gather.

Sounds fairly greedy to me at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

the petition should also have a commitment by everyone on it that they will!! move from eircom to easat as phone users if they to dont comply

And we should be serious about this by giving them 14-30days to repsond favourably
    how about someone stand outside the GPO on sat with forms for everyone to sign with the following text amended to the patitiion.....

We the undersigned
    authorise to transfare all eircom accounts to esat if a compentative and fair price structure is not introduced 14 days from this date

if there are 1000+ members and eircom users this should be a good enough threat to make them sit up and listen.
    Im sure many people here would do a few mins outside the gpo.

MAKE SURE WE HAVE A GREAT! BIG BANNER! :D
    (I will do it from 11:30 =12:30) anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

hmm I actually had the mistaken impression from eircom's site that there would be no capping (I guess information on a package like solo is best kept to a minimum, wouldn't want too much information in the public domain ehh?) but, if it is confirmed that there will be a 3gb cap then there is no way I can avail of this .

Why? I could & probably would use 3gb in about 2 weeks with downloads of solaris or BSD or Linux or mp3's or just posting to boards.ie or linuxnewbie.org.

I don't actually believe eircom have the slighest interest in providing access to regular users because of users like us (or users who don't conform to the 'spirit of the service' - iolnolimits termination 2000), and have only introduced the solo package so that goverment watchdog types don't come down hard on eircom &/or the media don't give eircom bad press IMHO yeah?

I think I will hold off judgement on broadband for people in the greater dublin area until ntl & esat get their claws into this package?

Remember with some competition , there is a possibility of some reasonable pricing and :rolleyes: quality of service :rolleyes: .

Eircom right now have no-one to compete with them (like Micro$oft) so what impetus do they have to come up with a package that will be attractive to users like me?

For my part I will mail the Taoiseach, Eircom & the ODTR voicing not just my outrage and frustration but my firm belief that anti-competitive and user-hostile packages like this will in the long run turn people off using the internet due to pricing, all will add to bad feeling/perception about IT, which is probably the last thing we need.

I find it shocking that the government can call for broadband for the people of Ireland and when eircom delivers such a two-fingers in your face package like this has the audacity to claim that 'the government is doing it's part quack quack quack '

But then again most of our politicians enjoy isdn lines in their government offices (did you know that?). So my tax punts( or euros rather) are going into among other things, isdn lines for TD's who might use them what 3 times a day to check email (assuming that the TD has to lower himself (or herself heh) to actually checking their mails)?

Heh does this feel like a total crock or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Maybe someone should post SPECIFIC email addresses for everyone to mail to complain

ODTR
    Eircom people responsible
    Govt Depts
    etc etc

Maybe we can all send emails, and let them know.

Advertisement