Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost in the shell 2: innocence

Options
  • 07-10-2005 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭

For anyone thats interested ghost in the shell 2 is playing in ugc/cineworld cinema (dub) at the end of this month, i hear its not even half as good as the first one but probably worth cheaking out anyway :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

It'll put you to sleep. Dunno how it got a cinema release here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

It is getting a limited cinema release in the UK/Ireland at the end of this month. I was told this by a marketing chap in an email from manga.co.uk who subsequently put this very information up on their website .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

Personally I really enjoyed Ghost in the Shell 2. Granted it may not be as good as the first one but it's a really good and interesting movie in its own right. I think it's great that it's getting some kind of cinema release.

What will be interesting to see is what language they screen it in. The Region 1 DVD release did not feature an English language option. An English dub is planned for the Region 2 release but I've no idea when that is, or if the dub is even complete. I know most Anime "purists" prefer to watch it in the original Japanese but lets face it - Ireland being what it is, there's more chance of people going to see if if they don't have to read it!

Bottom line: if you liked the first one and Stand Alone Complex and enjoy something a little different you'll probably like it. It's pretty heavy but worth it if you stick it out.

*barRy*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'd say they'll screen it in Japanese with English subs.
    Ireland being what it is most people wont want to go see a "cartoon" in the first place regardless of language.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 elfpoo

I couldn't agree with you more!

I went to see Team America on the first or second night it was on release and about half the cinema walked out during the first half! I realise it's not an anime and that there's no language issue but my point is that most people will just refuse to watch something a little different, regardless of how good it is!

I guess that's why they call it "cult" then...

Does anyone know if there's ever any anime shown in the Kino cinema (or anywhere else) in Cork?

*barRy*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GreyArea

Just watched the 24th episode of Stand Alone Complex 2. It really rocks!

Anyone who hasn't seen both TV series should. They are fantastic.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

elfpoo wrote:
    I guess that's why they call it "cult" then...

You beckoned? o_O

On another note I found GITS2 awfully boring.

What is the fixation with that damn dog; I know the director loves his dog, but seriously, what the hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Released here on the 28th Oct, apparantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Raziel wrote:
    Released here on the 28th Oct, apparantly.

Yea but anime films in ugc are usually delayed back at least another week. Ive heard alot of bad reviews but fcuk it im goin to cheak it out anyway, specially when you have an unlimited card you cant go wrong ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

It's a beautiful movie, albeit rather slow and confusing in places. And there's not enough of the Major :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

well i thought it was ****,
    first one was great
    stand alone complex was and is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I wasn't as impressed with the second movie (although I did like the updated animation style). TBH, both series are superior to both movies, especially the 2nd Gig.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sico wrote:
    TBH, both series are superior to both movies, especially the 2nd Gig.

Agreed.

I love the series mostly for the music, some of Yoko Kannos best work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 GumDropButtons

Out today, out today, la la la... So happy! :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Finally saw this on Friday night, nearly a year and a half after it was released in Japan :rolleyes:

I found the first movie a little dense plot wise, requiring repeated viewings before it sunk in entirely, but this movie was more or less impenetrable. Perhaps it was the fact that it was subtitled and I have a preference for dubbed animation, and at times I was struggling to keep up with the wordy dialogue. I also think they went overboard on the philosophical side of things. All too often, I felt like I was being lectured to. I’ll admit to being ignorant of the source material, but with every second line out of the characters mouths being a quote from one place or another, a lot of the dialogue felt stilted.

There were pros and cons to the kind of animation they used this time around. On one hand, the CGI in this movie was astonishing. At times, some of the scenes felt more like moving art. The beautiful lighting effects and the intricate textures of the backgrounds were sometimes overwhelming. What I felt a little jarring was the blending of the traditionally animated characters with these CG backgrounds. Over the years, the melding of the two has improved significantly, but I still find it a little distracting. In some ways, I preferred the hand drawn backgrounds and vehicles of the first movie. It’s a lot easier to accept them as being part of the same overall visual universe. One aspect of the movie that I thought surpassed the first was the musical score. The ethereal ambiance of the first movie remained, but was also accompanied by powerful outbursts of driving rhythms, propelling the action in some key scenes.

I can appreciate the movie from an artistic point of view, but I don’t think I could bring myself to sit through its 100 minutes ever again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Finally got to see it but forgot to post up about it after. Im not sure what to think of it, i wont be in a hurry to see it again and im a big fan of the first film and the stand alone complex.

I found this film was really pretentious and up its own hole but not delivering anything. And the bit where the same scene was repeating its self was putting me to sleep. One person who made GITS1 was the major so the only good bit in this film was when the major came back at the end for the sex doll massacre.

Was weird seen the manga symbol on the cinema screen and was thinking itd be cool if likes of ifi did a once a month anime screening, im sure it would pull in the crowd :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

I really liked it, and 2nd gig is awesome, totally,
    Come on Laughing Man, were all waiting for 26/
    XD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

nadir wrote:
    Come on Laughing Man, were all waiting for 26

Jesus, it's the anime equivalent of blue balls :(

Advertisement