Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Textin' USA

Options
  • 07-10-2005 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Howryiz. I used to be registered here many moons ago but I forget what my user name was so this one'll have to do.

I have a problem. 95% of my text messages go to either the US or Australia. Now, I can use the O2.ie free 250 text thingy in work, but the 25c per text charge for the rest of the time has me feckin' destitute.

Does anyone know of a cheaper way of sending texts abroad? I'm prepared to join any network and switch to bill payment if necessary, just as long as I'm paying less than 25c a text.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Meteor charge 15¢ to text the USA anyway, (on pre-pay) it's cheaper than o2 and Vodafone charges a whopping 30¢ to text the usa. As for Australia etc. i don't know but check out there site. I am sure you can join an online free text thing where you can text from the internet, however i you don't have broadband and you need to text during the day, daytime dial-up will rob you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

netwhizkid wrote:
    Meteor charge 15¢ to text the USA anyway, (on pre-pay) it's cheaper than o2 and Vodafone charges a whopping 30¢ to text the usa. As for Australia etc. i don't know but check out there site. I am sure you can join an online free text thing where you can text from the internet, however i you don't have broadband and you need to text during the day, daytime dial-up will rob you.

Vodafone charge 25cent

Vodafone charge 25cent
    They were charging me 30¢ this summer any how, i got sick of their anti-customer attitude. I left them and switched to Meteor this summer after a disagreement between myself and them over roaming. I wanted to temporarily switch to bill-pay for a month so i could roam state side, They said no and i gave them the proverbial two fingers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

daveirl wrote:
    Theoretically speaking i am with the industry leader, Eircom now own Meteor, They started Eircell in 1986 and sold it to Vodafone to balance the books in 2000 and now that they have acquired Meteor i feel that Meteor will benefit from Eircom's Telecommunication's expertise. Besides Vodafone are a rip, and they may be leading in 3G etc. But they are only interested in their shareholders, (i should know i am one) Meteor are beginning to lead and show considerable leadership and will grow to dominate Ireland's Mobile Market especially when the combined Eircom Home Phone packages are launched. "Eircom Mobile" won't happen and Meteor will retain its name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

daveirl wrote:
    Nice logic there. If you moved to Meteor during the Summer you in all likelyhood moved before they were purchased by Eircom. What exactly is your definition of leading?

I'm facinated that you won't use Firefox but will move to Meteor. Since Firefox is built on Netcape's code the logic of going with the first mobile company in this country should still apply, going with Firefox is going with the people behind the 'first' browser.

I joined Meteor on Aug 1st, Which is technically Autumn. My definition of Leading is for instance how Eircom and The ESB have a network into nearly every house in this country and how they offer advanced and sophistaced services and have Trade-unionised workers, unlike the likes of Smart Telecom and the other operators who have no network and put nothing into Ireland's network, They take the cream and run like all other Capitalists and sack workers for joining a trade union as in the case of Smart Telecom. I am Using Firefox right now, i don't like using it but to view boards in a satisfactorily way i have to use it as every time i post in IE it bloody well freezes.

What is your own definition of Leading, and of quality of service and of workers rights ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

netwhizkid wrote:
    I joined Meteor on Aug 1st, Which is technically Autumn. My definition of Leading is for instance how Eircom and The ESB have a network into nearly every house in this country and how they offer advanced and sophistaced services and have Trade-unionised workers, unlike the likes of Smart Telecom and the other operators who have no network and put nothing into Ireland's network, They take the cream and run like all other Capitalists and sack workers for joining a trade union as in the case of Smart Telecom. I am Using Firefox right now, i don't like using it but to view boards in a satisfactorily way i have to use it as every time i post in IE it bloody well freezes.

What is your own definition of Leading, and of quality of service and of workers rights ?

Did meteor let you go on bill pay for a month? If not, what was the point of moving if you were otherwise happy with vodafone? case of nose cutting/face etc?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

nice way to drag the thread off topic lads.

i am in the same position as the original poster,i went with o2 simply because vodafone and meteor wouldnt sent txts to the states on a prepaid basis.

i have recently noticed however sometimes the message doesnt send,you know where you get the txt on your fone "message not sent please try again later"
    i never really worried about that before but recently its happening more and more.yesterday i noticed it took 8 attempts to send one message,i was just after putting credit on the fone and i just rang and checked my balance and they charged me for all 8 attempts to send the txt.needless to say i lost it.
    i called customer care to find out why they billed me for not sending txts and the only answer i could get is they bill you as soon as you press send,if it gets delivered or not they dont give a damn as long as they get their 25 cent.

so please let the thread get back on topic as i would also like to know the alternitaves to having a o2 prepay that can txt the states as i will be leaving the o2 network asap

ps. txting for the fone companys here are a complete rip off,25 cent to send a txt is extortion.when i was in the states you could buy txtin in bulk of 1,000 for $9.95 and they go worldwide (just another part of rip off ireland i guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

fli wrote:

so please let the thread get back on topic as i would also like to know the alternitaves to having a o2 prepay that can txt the states as i will be leaving the o2 network asap
    Can we do this please? I'm sure there are others with the same problem.

For starters, is this correct? 10c per text would be a big saving.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Meteor charge 15¢ to text the USA anyway, (on pre-pay)

• Advertisement

i tried a meteor pre pay fone about 6 months ago and none of the txts got through to the usa,unless this has changed lately.

These are the Meteor International Call rates, you will notice that all international texts at the top of the table are 15¢ I text the USA regularly and all my texts get through. NB. Some networks in america do not support SMS and they don't even use GSM, T-mobile are GSM friendly and use SMS, Cingular also do too, I'm not sure as for Nextel though. I Moved to Meteor for three reason's, a) so i could roam in the USA on pre-pay, b) They are the emerging force in Ireland's Mobile market. c) They have Eircom's experience now behind them and plus they are more cost affective for my usage.

the phone network doesnt have to be gsm to avail of txting.when i was there i bought a prepaid alltell fone.it wasnt gsm it was cdma and there was no problem txting from it.like i said earlier i bought txts in bunches of 1,000

i know for a fact o2 can txt alltell but meteor and vodafone will only send them with a contract phone,crazy if you ask me

netwhizkid wrote:
    These are the Meteor International Call rates, you will notice that all international texts at the top of the table are 15¢ I text the USA regularly and all my texts get through. NB. Some networks in america do not support SMS and they don't even use GSM, T-mobile are GSM friendly and use SMS, Cingular also do too, I'm not sure as for Nextel though. I Moved to Meteor for three reason's, a) so i could roam in the USA on pre-pay, b) They are the emerging force in Ireland's Mobile market. c) They have Eircom's experience now behind them and plus they are more cost affective for my usage.
    Thanks. I'll get a Meteor SIM card and see how it goes.

Meteor offer 300 free web texts, but only to Irish mobile numbers. Bah.

http://www.meteor.ie/services/freetext.html

I suppose I can still use the O2.ie web text service if the recipient replies to the Meteor number.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

netwhizkid wrote:

Great - having eircon's experience can only make customer service even worse....

.. oh.. and they've gone from being the "Industry Leader" to an "emerging force" in 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

netwhizkid wrote:

1) you can roam in the us using an pre-pay phone on Vodafone. The service is just not guaranteed for coverage or price by the network. I know cos i was there for three months using a pre-pay (vodafone) phone.
    2)Emerging network???? how long can they be classed as emerging having been launched what 5/6 years ago
    3)Eircoms experience behind them now of badly managing a mobile network for a while before selling it off at a loss and now badly managing the home-phone company

Advertisement