Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prevent users accessing network

Options
  • 07-10-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know how to Prevent users from accessing the network but still be able to share broadband and email etc? And also have working mapped drives?

Its a mix of 2k and XP clients running off server 2k.

In other words i dont want them to be able to browse the network, only access mapped drives (not map their own) and be able to share broadband.

In other words i cant disable all network access.
    I can hide "my network places" from 2k but XP has it in all kinds of places and its very time consuming doing registry hacks on each PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Connect them up in a domain and use a restrictive group policy to prevent all sorts of mucking about.

Should save you the hassle of reg hacking each machine. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

really you want to set permissions on drives so that even if they find then they can's access them, hidden shares will help a little

windows 2K has lots of fiddly stuff in active directory to restrict what the little darlings can do.

if not using ADS
    you could always export the reg settings to a .reg file and push that remotely using psexec or even AT, AT 23:00 reg.exe settings.reg (or use CMD to call a batch file)

Setup firewalls on each of the PC's so they can't browse each other too.

Advertisement