Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discuss the movie "Serenity" here *spoilers*

Options
  • 07-10-2005 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hello all, I am going to be off line for the weekend due to a move of apartments. But I'd like anyone and everyone thats seen the movie to Discuss it in here. PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS!!!

Remember everyone has a different point of view. So not everyone will have liked the movie. So try not let a flame war start while I'm away ;)

Let the discussion begin and I hope everyone enjoys the movie!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I suppose I'll make a start with my thoughts. Before I begin I want to say that I am a huge fan of the series. The plots, the scripts, the acting, the relationships were fantastic and it broke my heart when it got cancelled.

I know many will disagree, but I was very disappointed with the movie. I actually left the cinema in shock. Being a film and having time constraints they were always going to have trouble introducing newcomers to the storyline, but I still found it too rushed, and didn't really keep with what we knew of Simon.

The series alwas had great scripting, full of wit and delivered with a naturalness unseen in any TV series to date. I wish I could say the same for the movie, every line seemed laboured and while it had it's moments, there weren't many.

I was really looking foward to finding out more about the shepard's history, but unfortunately he told us he didn't have to tell us. They also made a mess of the atmosphere aboard the ship. There was always a tension, but never to the extend that they would come to blows if someone looked at them wrong. The sexual tension was far more noticeable, and this was completely absent from the movie. Kaylee was always an awkward engine geek, but she had a very attractive sensuality to her. This was something we never saw in the movie, where she was just awkward.

The film did answer one question for me though. I had wondered what purpose Wash served as a member of the cast. Other than being the pilot, the only reason for his being was to provide depth to Zoe's character through their marraige difficulties, and some comic relief. Apparently after the movie that was his only purpose. Some people seem impressed with the special effects of the movie, but personally I found those of the series to be far better.

Overall I don't think it did the series any justice. The one funny bit was Kaylees desire to live when she found out she would get a shag, but seeing those 2 get together had no-where near the impact I would have expected considering the buildup ... maybe they will do a beter job with Mal and Inara with a later installment ... assuming there will be one. This show will probably be a cult hit among fans, but I really don't think it did the series any justice. There have been rumours of this being the first of a trilogy if it is successful, but I now fear it won't be enough for the film companies to justify it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

I think you got it all wrong. I am surprised you took this view after been a fan of the series, i'd expect that view from a new commer who has just seen Serenity for the first time. I think you fail to see the bigger picture. To me Serenity the movie is just an extended episode of the series. Sure it doesn't answer all the questions, but did you really want it too? The actors are signed up to another 2 movies, and hopefully there will be another series or two! So it would have been wrong for Joss to answer everything in this movie, sure he answers feck all but he just makes it more exciting.
    I think Joss did a wonderful job of inviting newcommers into Serenity while keeping the faithful happy. My only problem is how long do i have to wait for the next movie? or next series? Hopely not long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Guys, spoiler tags, please. sutty asked you to, and its only fair

In other news, SWEET MONKEY-FUCKING JESUS that was shiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Raphael wrote:
    Guys, spoiler tags, please. sutty asked you to, and its only fair

Considering sutty tells you the thread contains spoilers in the title I hardly see it being necessary. And Zappa no I didn't get it wrong, my aove post cotains my impressions from the movie and my opinions of it. I really hope people enjoy it, but personally it did not feel the elation I expected after waiting for so long to see the continuation fot he story.

*shrug* someone could be linked here without knowing what the thread is, or click on it by accident and read something they don't want to. THe spoiler tags are there, so use 'em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

An absolutely farking fantastic movie!!!

I brought my girlfriend along (in exchange I had to go see Oliver Twist - Utter Tripe) who had never even heard of Firefly. She just saw the trailer and said "eeh... Maybe", I persisted, she relented and she came out the clear winner Serenity was class and Oliver Twist was ****.

She thought the movie was quite good, she's not a big sci-fi fan, so for her that was high praise indeed.

I quizzed her a little on the way home from the movie, to see if comments like Osiris's above actually hold any water, and from her responses I would say not. She found the story to be quite complete, not too rushed, not too few details - just enough to know whats going on.

She didn't feel confused at any point about the characters inter-relations and I would have to put it down to Whedon's skill as a master craftsman of story telling.

The fight scenes were fantastic, and the one at the end (yeh you know which one) was worth the entrance fee to the cinema alone.

This movie would get a 5 out of 5 from me. It really was that good, and I couldn't find a single fault in the movie.

On a slightly off topic note, I do share osiris's heartbreak in terms of the cancellation of the show, and his fears that the movie could spell the end for the whole franchise (or should I say the franchise that never was). If it is the end of the whole kit'n'kaboodle though, I, for one, am more than happy that it went out on such a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Baz_ wrote:
    I quizzed her a little on the way home from the movie, to see if comments like Osiris's above actually hold any water, and from her responses I would say not. She found the story to be quite complete, not too rushed, not too few details - just enough to know whats going on.

Yup. I brought a Firefly newbie to see the Advance Screening last month. She said she had no problem figuring out what was going on. And since it has opened I've heard reports from more people who had never seen the series, all say that they loved the show and although they were sure there were things they missed they still more than enjoyed the story and characters. And a few have been off to buy the dvd of the series.

After the film was released in the states Amazon's sales chart had it listed at number 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I'm a big Buffy and Angel fan,but never caught Firefly at all when it was on,but this movie was brilliant. This is what Star Wars Ep III should have been...good! I was surprised they
    killed off 2 characters which I think were main characters in the show,especially your one's husband

I would hope there is a sequel,and when I get payed next week I'll have to get the Firefly dvd. :D

Great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Finally i can talk about this movie!!!!!

OMG this movie is fantastic, especially the second time :)
    dont really have time to go into it now as i am in holiday but, basically
    script = great, funny, witty, shocking,
    special effects = great looking & serenity looks soo pretty especially the opening scene
    long continous shot at the start, great
    death of shepard, shocking but can still go into his backstory so not that dissapointed by it
    death of wash, apart form the original SHOCK (especially keeping it secret between the advance screening and the second time i watched it from my gf :) ) i am still missing him as he had some of the best lines in the series and the movie
    origin of the reavers, good & well explained, but maybe how they can transfer the sickness/ or shock people into becoming reavers being explained would have been good as well
    slight change in how river was rescued annoyed me a bit but im putting it down to wizards :-)

all in all shiney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

madrab wrote:
    origin of the reavers, good & well explained, but maybe how they can transfer the sickness/ or shock people into becoming reavers being explained would have been good as well

I was under the impression that
    Mal was right, in the series, when he said that the guy saw into the darkness, was made to watch. The only way he could deal with something as horrific as that, was to become it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

Daelus wrote:
    I was under the impression that
    Mal was right, in the series, when he said that the guy saw into the darkness, was made to watch. The only way he could deal with something as horrific as that, was to become it.

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Obviously, as the film explains
    the reavers were created by the Pax, however since then their actions have created more reavers. The ones they left "alive"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There's currently three or four threads on boards about this but I figured this was the official place to give my opinion.

I must admit as an ardent fan of the series I felt a little let down by the movie. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but there were a few things holding it back being great as opposed to just good.

WARNING - SPOILERS AHEAD

The movie starts about the right pace and understandably, for those unfamiliar with the show, recaps the back story. So it's a little slow to start but that's forgivable.

Once the back story's done with the movie starts to pick up pace. The middle of the film was the most enjoyable I felt, with plenty of fresh humour, decent character interaction and some healthy plot development.

Where I felt left down though was on the lack of finale and the lack of impact of certain key events.
    Shephard and Wash's deaths meant nothing and felt like nothing even though they were too of my most loved characters. Shephard's death is in particular a disappointment given the rich back story his character more than likely has.

I also felt the story with the Reavers was somewhat lame. They were mentioned three or four times in the pilot, came into it briefly in an early episode and then were left behind. Good, is what I thought. The character interaction and development that sprung up in place of the Reaver storyline was far more entertaining and interesting. Yet here they are in the film and I can't help but feel their presence is somewhat flimsy.

What I would have like, even if he pursued the same plotline, was for Whedon to have made a longer film. The story needed more time to develop and each of the characters deserved more screentime. I realise the constraints he was under and think he's done a fairly good job but I can't help walking away from this feeling like I wanted something more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Hey all, glad to see so many people are enjoying the movie. but could people please use spoiler tags? Yes, even though I have put *spoilers* in the topic, I would still like for people to use the tags :)

Anyway, I went to see the movie on Satuday. Met the_syco after it. (walking out of the cinema) Anyway, It was in UGC and screen one. Which I was happy about. They had filled it out as well. Which was what I was really happy about. Infact I dont think I have ever been so happy to be in a packed out cinema.

Right from the opening moments of the film, the people in the cinema seemed to know what was going on. Laughing at things non fans would get. But then not laughing at things fan's would get.
    like when Inara contacts Mal asking for help. Then Mal going up and asking did they all see it. But Kaylee not getting that it was a trap. Mals reasoning for it being a trap was that they didn't argue.
    Which is something I and the people sitting about me found funny. But you could see that it didn't get a laugh from the whole cinema.

Over all, seeing the film the second time, I didn't pick up on anything new. But the fist time around I was watching it like a wide eyed kid looking a very large cake.. so I would be suprised that I missed anything. :)

sutty: SAw it in waterford, I was the ONLY person who laughed at your spoilered bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

sutty wrote:
    Anyway, I went to see the movie on Satuday. Met the_syco after it. (walking out of the cinema) Anyway, It was in UGC and screen one. Which I was happy about. They had filled it out as well. Which was what I was really happy about. Infact I dont think I have ever been so happy to be in a packed out cinema.
    Screen 1, again? When I went to it on Saturday it was on in 17. Oh yeah!
    You know that shot
    at the funeral where the group are just standing at the graves and then Zoe lays some flowers and then it cuts to a very far back shot with the group in the bottom middle of the screen? Well, in Screen 17, that shot looks freakin' huge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

movie of the ****ing year!

amazing.

Only got into the series since I came to college and one of the guys has the boxset so we've watched all 15 in the last 2 weeks before seeing the movie last night.

very impressed. Didn't know what to expect but imo, it was the series++ and that is never a bad thing.

Everything about it screamed brilliant.

10/10.

Screen 1, again? When I went to it on Saturday it was on in 17. Oh yeah!
    You know that shot
    at the funeral where the group are just standing at the graves and then Zoe lays some flowers and then it cuts to a very far back shot with the group in the bottom middle of the screen? Well, in Screen 17, that shot looks freakin' huge!

damnit, I'm just not with it, yeah screen 17 the large one. I keep getting confused with liffy Vally where screen 1 is the big one :(

Anyway, yep, on the big screen it is amazing. I really loved the far off shots of Serenity in the space battle. You get a real feel for just how small she is. esp compared to the larger war ships :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Manchegan

Originally posted by Earthhorse
    Shephard and Wash's deaths meant nothing and felt like nothing even though they were too of my most loved characters. Shephard's death is in particular a disappointment given the rich back story his character more than likely has.

This is true until you consider the possibility (as I did, and should know better after imagining a gripping dénouement for the Matrix finale :rolleyes:)
    of The Operative returning as a Shepherd. Shepherd Book intimates his shady past and there's also his certainty about how the Alliance would pursue them to get their hands on River. The Operative's background would be identical to Book's

I also felt the story with the Reavers was somewhat lame.

Agreed. This was the weakest point of the film. It's not as if they haven't had enough indications of how to portray in film what are effectively zombies over the past couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

the reavers arent zombies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Brought my girlfriend who isnt a scifi fan when i went to see this, she thought it was 2 hours of unadulterated rubbish. I thought it was good, but some of my potential enjoyment of it was ruined by her obvious displeasure of having to sit through it beside me. wont be bringing her to any more scifi flicks.:rolleyes:
    Will have to get the series of firefly off my cousins and watch the film again after to see if i enjoy it more because there were some plot holes and character interactions that seemed a little too under developed when watched as a stand alone film. I dont think i'll be raving about how brilliant some of you here think it was but i might enjoy it a bit more when its all put in context.

my 2 cents.

/edit
    oh and why is this forum not under ->Arts->Sci-Fi / Fantasy ?? public seems a bit of a no-mans land for such a forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Spideyman

Thought the film was excellent but I do take issue with some small details;
    At the start we're shown that Simon very clearly knows what they were doing to River because he sees it and has it explained to him but in the series he barely managed to piece some details together and it was a gradually unfolding mystery. Also he breaks River out himself where previously he says how others got her out for him, I always got the impression in the first episode that when she came out of the stasis thingy it was the first time he'd seen her in years.

Really wish Wash hadn't died but I think (after some initial outrage) that it was done well, it's just bang and he's gone. That's what Firefly and Serenity, I thought, always dealt with well. The unexpected happens and sometimes we have no control over it, he wasn't immortal just because he was a main, very well liked, character. Still wish they'd bring him back somehow, cause I'll miss him in any future stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Spideyman wrote:
    At the start we're shown that Simon very clearly knows what they were doing to River because he sees it and has it explained to him but in the series he barely managed to piece some details together and it was a gradually unfolding mystery. Also he breaks River out himself where previously he says how others got her out for him, I always got the impression in the first episode that when she came out of the stasis thingy it was the first time he'd seen her in years.
    Aye, the original way was better. But what are ya gonna do? That's a sacrifice for the T.V. - Silver Screen transition.

Scruff wrote:
    oh and why is this forum not under ->Arts->Sci-Fi / Fantasy ?? public seems a bit of a no-mans land for such a forum
    They didn't think it would be very active I guess. At the time Firefly/Serenity wasn't well known. We'll get that forum move someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

thought the film was legend, bought firefly on the strength of it, loved it all and am cursing fox every few minutes. can't wait to see the film again, in context

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

This is my first post in the Serenity/Firefly forum so forgive me if I am stating the obvious.

First thing is to state that this is an excellent movie. I have seen this and maybe six or seven eps of Firefly and IMHO the charactors are better developed and more interesting than the charactors in 7 years of Voyager and 4 years of Enterprise (I foolishly watched every ep). If Trek ever makes a comeback they could do worse than to have Wheldon at the controls.

A few minor issues with the movie.
    It was a bit
    jarring that the whole of Firely/ Serenity takes place in ONE single solar system with "dozens" of inhabitable or terraformable planets. Many of the planets shown are so remote / backwoodsey that it's hard to swallow that they are in the same solar system as the technologically advanced central planets.

Was it just me or did all the cast look thinner in the movie than on TV. Inara and Kaylee (sp?) looked cuter on TV IMHO.

I thought
    the death of the pilot was a bit too abrupt and random.

Also the bad guys (forget name ....doh!:( ) were way too one-dimentional.

Despite these very minor niggles a very enjoyable film. Any word on a sequel?

They're not all planets, some of them are moons. Say, like, someone were to terraform all of Saturn and Jupiters moons. It's preeeety possible that some of them would be majorly ignored. And, even still, it;s more believeable than faster than light travel and aliens!

Weightwise, Kaylee for one was thinner. But that's because when firefly was canceled she went back to her own figure, and they didn;t make her put it back on. Sad, but meh.
    You COULD always say she was trying to improve her figure so Simon would bone her...

Yeah...just...yeah =(

And the reavers are crrrrazy mindless flesh eating madmen. Don't think there's much flexibility with that. (I assume you meant the reavers)

Glad you like the film!

Raphael wrote:
    And the reavers are crrrrazy mindless flesh eating madmen. Don't think there's much flexibility with that. (I assume you meant the reavers)

Glad you like the film!

Ah but you got to remember, the Reavers aren't mindless. Crazy and homecidel yes, but not mindless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Saw this for the first time last night, the reason being I was waiting to see the TV show first before I attempted to watch the movie. That said however, I had originally had no interest in seeing the movie until after I saw the show :D

Now, on a basic level, it's a fantastic movie, but you'd really have to have seen the series first to truly appreciate it - some of the plot lines seemed grand to me, but its easy to forget that people who haven't seen the show are confused to say the least as the movie doesn't do a great job at filling in details us devoted show watchers already know.

The most noticable contrast for me between the movie and show was the character of Simon. His character in the movie is vastly different from that of the original series, as is the entire Simon/River Tam storyline which seems to have completely changed for the movie. Newbies to Firefly won't even notice of course, but as a dedicated fan I was both puzzled and disappointed by this.

The special effects in the movie are infinitely better then those of the show, as are the gunplay action scenes, but overall it still thankfully feels like "Firefly", something I was afraid would be lost in the attempt to "hollywoodise" the movie for a bigger market. The humour was something I'd heard people complaining about in the movie, but if there was a difference between movie and series here, I didn't notice it and found the humour in the movie spot on, most notablely:

"Do you want to run this ship?"
    "YES!"
    "Well......you can't!"

By the way - I don't know if this was just my imagination but were the entire cast on a diet in betweeen Firefly and Serenity? :confused:

Pretty much everyone looked way thinner, especially Mal and Kayleigh!

Overall, a fantastic movie that I enjoyed immensely. Few niggling things about the movie I wasn't satisfied with, again, most notably the Simon/River transformation, alongside the lack of character development for those who hadn't seen the series prior to the movie, but that wouldn't stop me from awarding it 9/10.

The only thing I could say is - watch the series first. This movie will be only an empty shell without it.

Well Kaylee had put on weight for Firefly, and they didn't make her put it back on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

TBH I was disappointed that Jewel hadn't put the weight back on.. There was something fantastically earthy and womanly and voluptuous about her having something to hold on to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

First off, I loved the movie, and I think (for the most part) it remained true to the TV series. It was kinda annoying to see them re-writing history so much, even if I can fanwank most of it into some kind of sense, but it was a cool scene and launched the movie well, so I can let it go. Some of the characters were a little marginalized, but again, you expect that with a TV-movie transition, since there isn't enough time to deal properly with everyone. The one thing I really wasn't happy with was
    the death of Wash - while it was wrenching to me as a fan of the TV show, I just can't see an audience of newcomers really getting the big deal over it, since he had barely been in the movie until then. And Zoe's reaction, if you don't know her character (embittered, pragmatic war general, second only to Mal in terms of hard-assedness), seems incredibly cold. Seeing the normally-controlled Zoe losing it and breaking the line for revenge means something to me, but to someone who only saw the movie I don't know if that comes across at all. Hell, I know people who did see the show and thought her reaction was too underdone. I guess my point is, it really seemed to be Joss going for bloodshed for the sake of it, and I kinda feel that if he couldn't kill Wash properly, he shouldn't have killed him at all. (You may wonder why this complaint centres around Wash and Book doesn't even get a mention. The simple reason is that I don't give a flying rat's ass about Book)

Advertisement