Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discuss the movie "Serenity" here *spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lealonie

Firefly Class! Serenity Brill! And they're signed up to do 2 more movies?!
    you've made me a happy little girl!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

shay_562 wrote:
    (You may wonder why this complaint centres around Wash and Book doesn't even get a mention. The simple reason is that I don't give a flying rat's ass about Book)[/spoiler]

In the movie Book was a minor character. In the series he wasn't a big character either but there was potential. If there was a season 2 or 3 we might have found out what his history was with the military. There were a few hints but it could have led to something bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

HavoK wrote:

The special effects in the movie are infinitely better then those of the show, as are the gunplay action scenes, but overall it still thankfully feels like "Firefly", something I was afraid would be lost in the attempt to "hollywoodise" the movie for a bigger market. The humour was something I'd heard people complaining about in the movie, but if there was a difference between movie and series here, I didn't notice it and found the humour in the movie spot on, most notablely:

"Do you want to run this ship?"
    "YES!"
    "Well......you can't!"

By the way - I don't know if this was just my imagination but were the entire cast on a diet in betweeen Firefly and Serenity? :confused:

Pretty much everyone looked way thinner, especially Mal and Kayleigh!

Overall, a fantastic movie that I enjoyed immensely. Few niggling things about the movie I wasn't satisfied with, again, most notably the Simon/River transformation, alongside the lack of character development for those who hadn't seen the series prior to the movie, but that wouldn't stop me from awarding it 9/10.

The only thing I could say is - watch the series first. This movie will be only an empty shell without it.

I loved the movie and yes you are right the special effects are amazing better than the series especially River's fight scene. In regard to the humour i wish they were more in the film if you watch the tv series Mal and Jayne particularly were always hilarious and also wish they resolved Inara and Mal situation hopefully it will happen in the sequel.

Jewel Staite who played Kaylee had to put weight on for the series and when the series cancelled she lost that weight and didn't need to gain it again for the series. In regard to Mal being thinner it may have to do with him being tighpants and bursting his trousers during the series remember Captain Tightpants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭dan_y

Spideyman wrote:
    Thought the film was excellent but I do take issue with some small details;
    At the start we're shown that Simon very clearly knows what they were doing to River because he sees it and has it explained to him but in the series he barely managed to piece some details together and it was a gradually unfolding mystery. Also he breaks River out himself where previously he says how others got her out for him, I always got the impression in the first episode that when she came out of the stasis thingy it was the first time he'd seen her in years.

First I just wanna say - in regard to all the people who think there was a massive change in Simon's character - I don't think they changed his character at all. Mal makes the point during the series that the Doc "doesn't lack courage, and that's something". He planned the epic heist on Ariel - and walked right through an Alliance hospital, even stopping to save a man's life and chide a junior doctor. I think it was just down to Maher, trying to depict an uptight man, clearly brought up to be anal retentive ("I get you a dedicated source box - you become a brilliant doctor, that's the deal"), slowly loosening up around this band of misfits. And maybe he decided to speed that up just in case this movie was it.

Also, he never said others got River out - he says he was contacted by an organisation who could help him find and free her, and would take her - in stasis - to somewhere safe. And he couldn't have known what they were doing to her from
    5 minutes in the room with her strapped to the chair. I think he had literally just been taken to the installation that day and told where his sister was and how to escape.
    I think the time she comes out of the stasis box is the first time he's seen her lucid in years. Then he spends the series trying to figure out how to help her.

Also, I think Shepard Book used to be like the monster with a mission from god that played the bad guy in the movie. So if there is another series or movie, maybe he'll be back. Didn't anyone else think that he was sorta like Early from the final episode, except more eloquent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I saw serenity, and am just watching Firefly now (streaming - for shame:( -, but I intend to get the DVD for Christmas). I have seen all the eps except Bushwacked and Our Mrs Reynolds (links kaput). Does anyone think that they could fit a series between Firefly and Serenity? There seems to have been a gap there (they could make Kaylee bulemic to explain her weight-loss:D ). They could use the gap to flesh out the reaver story, or clear up some of the story lines, make Shepard Book matter more etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The comic books act as an excellent way of filling in the gap between Firefly and Serenity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched it again last night. I stumbled across it on Sky Movies at about 11 as I flicked aimlessly through the channels, ended up watching it despite fully intending to go to bed...what a movie. Truly is a shame it had to end. The series, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ok before i start i want to say that huh?
    Em ok
    This is what i DID know as of 2005

There was a shight show called firefly that was so bad it got canceled after 1/2 a season and then they got to make a movie called serenity and that this movie was apparently amazing, so curies i wondered to the cinema saw it and thought ye that was ok/good but it had been over hyped i had heard it was groundbreaking on the level of the 1st star wars, and before you ask where i heard that it was either in this forum or if it was not around the TV or Films forum.

So i came out of the cinema and thought "eh it was alright"
    then about a year and a bit passed a good friend of mine said one night i the pub says did you ever see a show called firefly and i said isent that the crap show that got canned and he no No NOO its ****ing brilliant. I was not convinced but said meh **** it nothing else to do so next day he came down to mine we got binned and watched the pilot.

I Enjoyed it allot cought me completely off guard.

With BSG there is such a high expectation then again the quality of it is also amazingly high!

With Star trek i don't expect the quality of BSG but i do expect something

same with EVERY single show i watch so when i saw "pilot" i not only had no expectations like when any new show starts up, i had very bad expectations for firefly so i relay enjoyed the first episode.

Then came "Train Job" and i loved it so much absolutely brilliant my favurate bit was at the end when captain is giving the money back to niscas 2nd man and then he dosent accept it kicks him into the engine and then moves on.

What makes this show great is how real it is no petty morals or ideal views of the future like in ST.

I watched every single episode 2 times now and im doing everything i can to resist the urge to watch them a 3rd time before i can afford my new TV after this months paycheck
    I have them bought on DVD of coarse
    - anything i can do to help the signal
    Its hard tho when im bored and cant sleep my mind keeps telling me to watch the episodes but i relay want to wait it will be better on the big TV instead of PC monitor.

As for Serenity i watched it a 2nd time after i had seen the whole series and i loved it completely, it was sooo much better after seeing the show!

In fact in the ive seen it 5 times in the last 2 weeks

1st myself and 2 mates decided to watch it while we knock a few jds/vodkas into us 2 saturdays ago, we only got half way though then got the bus into town, then at bout 5am me and 1 mate who was still awake finished the movie then watched it again with the guy that missed it on satuday then twice on sunday with 2 other mates who had never seen it, then again 2 days ago and last nite was about to watch it with another mate of mine who hadent seen it but his girlfriend wanted to watch the departed (good movie seen it before)

There is only one TINY TINY little thing that bothers me in this movie. Remember the crashed ship on Miranda? they board it and then river goes over to the data recorder and plugs it in/inserts it into the slot - this is what gets me because in the recording its clear that she is killed and a rever would not unplug a data recording so it should still have been plugged in

Oh and of coarse the fact that in the series there is no sound in space and there is in the movie, must have been a hard decision to stick with the original show or add bangs and such for the mindless masses.

Serenity is a savage movie
    ZappaFrank wrote:
    I think Joss did a wonderful job of inviting newcommers into Serenity while keeping the faithful happy. My only problem is how long do i have to wait for the next movie? or next series? Hopely not long!

Im sorry but i do not understand i may have only got into firefly/serenity in the last 9-12 months but i do not understand what you are saying
    Why would any firefly or serenity fan want another movie made after serenity?
    Some of the best story arcs are gone, Shepperd i relay wanted to know what that mans story was, with him dead i would still watch more episodes
    but would find less enjoyable. Zoes husband is gone as well allot of there contacts it was a amazing movie but i just think that if they make more they should stand up and say "The movie serenity is not cannon, it was simply to show what we could do" whatever just continue on with the series because i don't mind wash dying as much but the crew was a family also imagie how bad Alen (Wash) and Won (Shepperd) are going to feel when there family (which is basically what the crew is to oneanother) goes on to make more episodes or movies without them?

The character interaction will not be the same, more firefly needed with all the characters.
    Baz_ wrote:
    An absolutely farking fantastic movie!!!
    I quizzed her a little on the way home from the movie, to see if comments like Osiris's above actually hold any water, and from her responses I would say not. She found the story to be quite complete, not too rushed, not too few details - just enough to know whats going on.

She didn't feel confused at any point about the characters inter-relations and I would have to put it down to Whedon's skill as a master craftsman of story telling.

That is exeatly how i felt when i saw the movie first without the series
    Raphael wrote:
    *shrug* someone could be linked here without knowing what the thread is, or click on it by accident and read something they don't want to. THe spoiler tags are there, so use 'em

Actually if a topic says [SPOILERS] then you should not need to put them in your txt.
    Spoiler tags are there if there is a discussion about this movie here and someone goes
    RandomUser wrote:
    I wonder what will happen next? will X charactor do X?
    No what actually happens is X charactor does X

And if i am linked to a thread i tend to read the topic before the thread itself
    Earthhorse wrote:
    Where I felt left down though was on the lack of finale and the lack of impact of certain key events.
    Shephard and Wash's deaths meant nothing and felt like nothing even though they were too of my most loved characters. Shephard's death is in particular a disappointment given the rich back story his character more than likely has.

Second.
    I completely agree i mean wash i want him back just because he was a part of the family you know? but Shepherd he reminds me too much of "Gareck" from ds9. I love mystery in a character
    Earthhorse wrote:
    I also felt the story with the Reavers was somewhat lame. They were mentioned three or four times in the pilot, came into it briefly in an early episode and then were left behind. Good, is what I thought. The character interaction and development that sprung up in place of the Reaver storyline was far more entertaining and interesting. Yet here they are in the film and I can't help but feel their presence is somewhat flimsy.

No i think it is a good theory on how it happened. It makes sense i just don't like the time frame its too recent, if the Miranda event was so recent there would not have been enough time for the mythology of revers being men who saw the edge and lost the plot.
    sutty wrote:
    Anyway, I went to see the movie on Satuday. Met the_syco after it. (walking out of the cinema) Anyway, It was in UGC and screen one. Which I was happy about. They had filled it out as well. Which was what I was really happy about. Infact I dont think I have ever been so happy to be in a packed out cinema.

Is screan 17 not the biggest in UGC?
    Scruff wrote:
    Will have to get the series of firefly off my cousins

Emm this is a bit of a problem because the show in question has been canceled.
    You should go buy the DVD box set of a canceled show instead of
    downloading/cousins whatever

You should go buy the DVD box set of any good show canceled or not for that matter.
    Also the bad guys (forget name ....doh!:( ) were way too one-dimentional.

Completely disagree there. Great charactor and whats wrong with being one-dimentional there are people like that you know? his motives make perfect sense.
    HavoK wrote:
    Now, on a basic level, it's a fantastic movie, but you'd really have to have seen the series first to truly appreciate it - some of the plot lines seemed grand to me, but its easy to forget that people who haven't seen the show are confused to say the least as the movie doesn't do a great job at filling in details us devoted show watchers already know.

I found it quite easy to watch and know what was going on having not seen the series at the time
    HavoK wrote:
    The special effects in the movie are infinitely better then those of the show, as are the gunplay action scenes, but overall it still thankfully feels like "Firefly", something I was afraid would be lost in the attempt to "hollywoodise" the movie for a bigger market. The humour was something I'd heard people complaining about in the movie, but if there was a difference between movie and series here, I didn't notice it and found the humour in the movie spot on, most notablely:

"Do you want to run this ship?"
    "YES!"
    "Well......you can't!"

Special effects mean **** all i still play the first CnC game and every now and again myself and my friends will sit down and play mario cart on the snes also i will watch a old movie with no complaints so Special effects are not anywhere near as important as dialog
    shay_562 wrote:
    Book doesn't even get a mention. The simple reason is that I don't give a flying rat's ass about Book)

I suppose each person has there own character for me one of the worst things about the cancellation of firefly was no more book info
    dan_y wrote:
    Also, I think Shepard Book used to be like the monster with a mission from god that played the bad guy in the movie. So if there is another series or movie, maybe he'll be back. Didn't anyone else think that he was sorta like Early from the final episode, except more eloquent?

Well i thought early was a very very funny charactor and his line
    "Thats not a sheaperd"

Book had a past and one of the reasons i watched ds9 for 7 years was to find out about gareck's past. Those types of characters are brilliant so much mystery.
    I saw serenity, and am just watching Firefly now (streaming - for shame:( -, but I intend to get the DVD for Christmas). I have seen all the eps except Bushwacked and Our Mrs Reynolds (links kaput). Does anyone think that they could fit a series between Firefly and Serenity? There seems to have been a gap there (they could make Kaylee bulemic to explain her weight-loss:D ). They could use the gap to flesh out the reaver story, or clear up some of the story lines, make Shepard Book matter more etc.

Ye i suppose that would work and you would have wash back as well get to find out about book. ye i can see it working but if they do that then there will only be one more series thats it. I still say openly declare the film non--cannon its the only way

On another note what are you thinking? how can you enjoy watching a show you have not seen if you are watching the episodes in the wrong order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

Became a Firefly fan between missing Serenity in the cinema and it coming out on DVD. So watched the entire series of Firefly over consecutive nights and loved it, and as soon as Serenity came out on DVD I snapped it up post-haste.
    I was very disappointed! Just lacked everything that made the TV show so good. Saying that perhaps I need to watch it again but after one viewing I'd give Serenity the thumbs down. :(
    And found River very annoying. She annoyed me a bit in the TV show with her acting weird but she took over the whole movie

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

I missed the movie when it came out, and then wanted to go see it because it sounded really cool- but then my friend banned me before I saw the series, so I'd to wait a year to borrow them off someone (and I was SO PISSED OFF!) But then I *finally* saw them, watched the movie, and haven't been able to watch the movie since. It was way too sad!!! I couldn't cope with that again!!!

I have to say, I didn't actually notice any of that stuff, but I'm not a very observant person, and I watched the movie at 2 am.

I really want to watch again now though...

• Advertisement

Its true it is quite sad watching firefly

A few nights ago Tuesday it was one of my sleepless nights so i got out of bed around 1.30 and had 2 glasses of 75% absinthe and 2 nice doobees while watching "Out Of Gas"

like you said it is sad to watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Gah, i really wish Universal would approach Whedon (or vice versa) about making a sequel/series.

I mean if universal had a Serenity series (cant be called Firefly, fox own rights etc.), alongside Battlestar they'd have a stranglehold on the sci-fi market, not to mention Serenity is along the lines of Battlestar in that in isnt your average story and isnt afraid to go out there and try new things (*cough* final firelfy episode, *cough* "you ever been raped")

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

nah i feel theres no hope for any sort of small or big screen comeback for firefly/serenity in the next 10 or 15 years.................best we can hope for imo is lots of comics,books and maybe a remake somewhere down the line

nah i feel theres no hope for any sort of small or big screen comeback for firefly/serenity in the next 10 or 15 years.................best we can hope for imo is lots of comics,books and maybe a remake somewhere down the line

Dont say the word re-make about firefly
    its a interesting verce and would be great so see more but not a re-make a spin off would be better than a re-make

But the one thing everyone wants its more firefly episodes with the full crew Even wash and book

User45701 wrote:
    Dont say the word re-make about firefly
    its a interesting verce and would be great so see more but not a re-make a spin off would be better than a re-make

But the one thing everyone wants its more firefly episodes with the full crew Even wash and book

of course my first wish is a new series,but im just being relistic..........

and with wash and book?i would say joss would ratherkill himself than change his wishes.thier human.thier dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Maybe some prequel things?? Yeah, I know I'm just kidding myself, they'd probably be really crappy. But I miss Wash!!!

I tried watching Serenity again (don't have the freaking Firefly dvd's...yet...) but I had to skip sooooo many scenes it wasn't worth it. Watched the special features instead :D.
    Mal wrote:
    I've seen so much death... *dances*

EDIT= Not posted, said in the outtakes, but I don't know how to get that up.

the serneity sf are crap............the firefly ones are better

twinkle star-you should buy the firefly boxset...........you can get it for as little as 15 in the jan sales

Heres a question if enough funds where raised do you think they would make more, i know that the browncoats have a devotation to charity as does Josh.

If the money from donations and donetheimpossible went into a fund i wonder how quickly with donations from all the browncoats, how quickly would that number become sizable?, sizable enough to encourage either another movie or more firefly.

smeh not likely

does anyone know how much the dvd made worldwide?
    i remember the days it was number 1 on all amazon sales,and firefly was second.......

ye i know and i just wish it had of been enough, it would have been nice if there was a target set, you know 800,000,000 million copies and they do another movie/extend the series

If the browncoats had a target they would have reached it there are people who bought 100 copies of firefly and if there was a target allot of pole would have bought a good deal more than 1

• Advertisement

maybe[very small] new hope for new firefly/serenity[and buffy] on screen............Whedons off Wonder Women[ see film forum for more info] so maybe he will prusure finance for new firefly/serenity and spike movie now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

Well there is a rumour going about that universal would liek to make a made for tv film to air on the SciFi channel (which they own)...this could possibly lead to a string of tv films... ( like what sg1 will soon be doing )

It wouldnt be unheard of, i mean they own scifi who foster new independant scifi series and films all the time, and a pre-built franchise like Firefly/Serenity would find a very welcome outlet in the SciFi channel.

I'd say Joss would definately hop on board for a chance to make a sequel to serenity.

We can only hope, that would be amazing but it would be so sad watching it without book and wash, and id feel so bad for the 2 actors as well not being part of the family any more. Id want a prequill or else to have serenity declared non cannon

and another reason why it aint gonna happen anytime soon-
    NAthon Fillion has a 1 season contract for the new tv series,''Drive''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sad is right!!

Got a new TV recently and hadto break out the box set to watch it on (the picture quality is amazing, even on a relatively ond show).

Tonight will be "Objects in Space" and I will feel really empty again.
    Serenity will be tomorrow, somehow I never feel as sad at the end of the movie as I do the series.
    Might be that the characters show marked differences in places in the movie ie
    - Simon getting pissed enough to actually hit Mal.
    - Book not even on the ship
    - Jayne starting on about getting Simon and River off the ship, even after the slap of a wrench in Ariel
    - Kaylee being nothing but a horn-dog

I know that these had to happen to allow a full story arc to happen within the time constraints of the movie but it makes you feel that the "family" sense gets a bit lost.

I am actually glad that I saw the movie before the series, as it allowed me to enjoy the movie fully and without all the above nitpicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

and another reason why it aint gonna happen anytime soon-
    NAthon Fillion has a 1 season contract for the new tv series,''Drive''

Drive was canceled. Didn't get past episode 6 I think. But if this drags out like the X files Sequel I know I wont be interested in it. don't get me wrong I'd kill to see Serenity in the black again but not ten years down the line!

Hes on Desperate Housewives atm I hear.......think its only a recurring guest role though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

Nathan is on Desperate Housewives. Adam is on Chuck, Summer is on Sarah Conners Chronicles, Ron is on Shark, Jewel is on Stargate Atlantis, Alan is working steadily on various movies, Gina has a few movies due out, Morena is in Heartland and the Stargate TV movie (one of them).

So they are all quite busy at the minute.

Sean seems to be the only one with nothing in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I remember seeing it in the cinema before I'd seen Firefly (and only really heard the name at the time) and I kind of liked it... But after watching the series, forgetting the film and watching it again, I'm not quite convinced... I remember watching it and just thinking, "Get on with it".

I think one of the problems with making a film of a series is that in a series you can have a lot more characters because you can have different episodes dedicated to different ones... But in a movie they seemed to struggle to include everyone, so there was no sense of developing characters and stuff. It didn't really seem to be "about" something rather just, The Continuing Adventures of the crew.
    It really left me not caring whether or not Simon and River got caught...
    At one point I was just pressing the "INFO" button my DVD remote to see how long was left

Would have been better if they continued the series... though I suppose the makers had no choice in the matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Mrs Roy Keane

Almarsáre wrote: »
    Nathan is on Desperate Housewives. Adam is on Chuck, Summer is on Sarah Conners Chronicles, Ron is on Shark, Jewel is on Stargate Atlantis, Alan is working steadily on various movies, Gina has a few movies due out, Morena is in Heartland and the Stargate TV movie (one of them).

So they are all quite busy at the minute.

Sean seems to be the only one with nothing in the works.

I know all the cast are busy at present but all seemed really passionate and enjoyed working on the show/movie and with Joss not doing Wonder Woman could a sequel either a movie or tv movie be done

Advertisement