Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Update of Ariels

• 07-10-2005 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭

I saw someone said IBB were upgrading thier ariels to 74mb ones with a greater range. Does anyone know when? I need it about 100metres further to reach my house!

Thanks

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

74 what now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

ye according to a post i read recently

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Allow me to rephrase: what's a 74mb aerial?

Sorry. an ariel that can provide bb at up to 74mbps
    The post is at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=283969&page=2&pp=20
    About the middle of the page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

mathew wrote:
    I saw someone said IBB were upgrading thier ariels to 74mb ones with a greater range. Does anyone know when? I need it about 100metres further to reach my house!

Thanks

Move your house further away, Trust me you do not want to get IBB. They are a bunch of misguided fools. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

agreed macker1.woeful service..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

WiMAX was only installed on 3rock and one of the Cork masts about 2 weeks ago thus the service has been **** since on the VL equipment. I was told for the customers in the valid areas the upgrades are taking place and there is a 2 month backlog of upgrade installs at the moment but if you are a new customer you will prob be on a different 2 month waiting list :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

WiMAX was only installed on 3rock and one of the Cork masts about 2 weeks ago thus the service has been **** since on the VL equipment. I was told for the customers in the valid areas the upgrades are taking place and there is a 2 month backlog of upgrade installs at the moment but if you are a new customer you will prob be on a different 2 month waiting list :p

So are you saying that they are upgrade'n every single customer's ariel
    in the coming months?

interesting.

PS i get quite a good service from IBB. :p

So i was told but i dont know that a HUGE investment as each one will cost them €1000-2000 for no imediate gain for them. Whereas for new customers its different.

but i'm easily within 31miles of 3rock. and its visible from the roof perfectly. the engineer said he tries killiney and the signal wasnt strong enough and he could't see stillorgan. He didn't mention 3rock at all???!!!

• Advertisement

WiMax aint anywhere near 31MILES ??? Was that a typo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Ok just looked at the Alavrion website to see if there is a 72Mbit WiMAX equipment. there is but it's 72Mbits per sector on the Base station it works at 3.5Ghz so it between multiple users that can get a maximum bandwidth of 10Mbits.

http://www.alvarion.com/RunTime/Products_2030.asp?tNodeParam=62

Data Sheet:
    http://www.alvarion.com/RunTime/Materials/PDFFiles/alv_BreezeMAX%203500%20c.pdf

There Breeze VL is at 5.8Ghz and can do upto 54Mbits but it's not classed as WiMAX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think i read it on the ibb web site that the next upgrade will involve two plastic cups and a peice of string. Its going to work much better.

WiMax aint anywhere near 31MILES ??? Was that a typo?

sorry its 30km and im within 30km of 3rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Sounds like a good idea, using IBB over 30km's. They can't even get their service to work within 1km of the masts. But never mind my low opinion of them, I would think it's highly unlikely that they will offer any services beyond 10km's of a mast in Dublin.

Considering you're clearly near Stillorgan and Killiney, I'd say you're probably within 10km's of 3 Rock. I could be wrong, but I think Digiweb Metro has 10km reach. You never know, but their service might even work.

Advertisement