Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GHD hair straightner ?

• 07-10-2005 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

for men ? which would be decent?
    nothing too expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I'm a little bit confused by what you're asking for in your post but I'll make a guess. You want an inexpensive GHD? Not gonna happen I'm afraid. The prices really don't tend to vary much from shop to shop. Mine is the standard black one that most people seem to have and it cost about £100(sterling) I think.

I don't think they specifically make straighteners for men. I doubt there would be any difference between "male" and "female" straighteners anyway.

How much are you looking to pay? Do you have long or short hair? Curly, wavy or straight? Thick or thin? These will help assess what you need. Like a GHD is very strong and will calm even wilder hair. Straighteners that don't heat up as high will not be as effective in taming frizz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hey,
    im aware that i will be paying over 100 euros, but i dont want it reaching 190 etc, my hair is pretty thin and its longish, if i dont straighten it, it looks like a mess.
    I robbed a cheap one of my sis and its pretty cheap but recently ive noticed that its ripping my hair out and i have to wash my hair first for it to work decently.

so im really looking for company names ? any makes that do reliable ones?
    should i go to argos ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

Look for ones with ceramic plates these won't stick to/damage your hair as much.
    Babyliss/Remington are good brands available in argos.
    BTW more expensive does not always mean better quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Boots and Argos both do a good selection. GHDs may cost €150 but they won't damage your hair. I've never tried another straightener that had results as good as the GHD. It's possible to get cheap knock offs that appear to do the same job but for a lot less. These look very similar to GHDs and according to some of the reviews are almost as good for a fraction of the price. Have a look at the reviews on Amazon. They're usually quite helpful. Then you can either buy online or go to Boots/Argos and get it there. You should probably get something to protect your hair if it's being damaged by straightenin. GHD do some products but I've never used them myself. I find L'Oreal do me fine and are a fraction of the GHD priduct prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All straighteners give the best results on clean, freshly washed dry hair. If your hair is dirty and then you straighten it, the dirt literally get burned onto the shaft of your hair.

I use the Remington ceramic straighteners, and i really can't recommend them enough. They only cost E35 in Roches, and I think that they're even cheaper now. They actually knock the pants off my friend's GHDs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP: Have you considered getting your hair chemically straightened?
    It would be expensive if you got it done in Peter Marks, Toni&Guy etc but I got mine done(when I grew my hair out) in Grafton Barbers for around €85 I think.
    Or you could get the stuff online and do it yourself for example http://www.adiscountbeauty.com/page254.html .
    I used a straightener once or twice but found it just made my hair kind of light and puffy :D and then if I got any water on it it just went wavy and looked odd .
    I also heard there are(or will be soon) straighteners specifically for men but have't looked into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i tried lots and ghd is by far the best! oh u could get that hair treayment that makes ur hair stay straight!! somewhat like a perm!! no more frizz... priceless!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

rb_ie wrote:
    I also heard there are(or will be soon) straighteners specifically for men but have't looked into it.

I think there are already, but they're marketed as "mini" straighteners. Simon le Bon swears by his mini GHD! If that doesn't sell it for ya, what will?! ;)

Advertisement