Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Software Sucks

Options
  • 07-10-2005 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Why software sucks (And what to do about it) - Scott Berkun
    No one makes bad software on purpose. No benevolent programmer has ever sat down, planning out weeks of work, with the intention of frustrating people and making them cry. Bad software, or bad anything, happens because making things is hard, making good things doubly so.
    Whenever you hear someone say “This sucks” they are doing several things simultaneously: expressing frustration, experiencing shock, using criticism to mask feelings of helplessness in a cruel universe, and, most importantly, communicating the gap between their expectations and reality. It’s rare to hear people complain about things they don’t care about

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

When the author doesn't know what "benevolent" means, that's not the best sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

rsynnott wrote:
    When the author doesn't know what "benevolent" means, that's not the best sign.

You lost me with this one........maybe it doesn't mean what I thought it meant either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

rsynnott what makes you say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

rsynnott what makes you say that?
    rsynnott is the author in question? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Customer: I want to finish my work and go play outside.
    These customers are not the problem it's the ones that say
    Customer: I want to automate the work of several experienced college educated people but I don't want to ask them what they do or how...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I want to automate the work of several experienced college educated people but I don't want to ask them what they do or how...
    Thats not really the point he's making though. He's talking about the users in the wild, as opposed to people you are doing a one off job for, users you won't be getting a spec from. Not that I am disagreeing with your point though, its perfectly valid on its own, just maybe not in the context of the quote you offered with it.

Advertisement