Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-User i-Stream question

Options
  • 12-09-2001 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭

Looking at the I-Stream page it seems that you have to pay more to get up to 4 PC's onto the service.
    Is it not possible to set up a proxy on the machine that's connected? Or are they just trying to get money of people who don't realise this? Surely not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Money, money, money !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Dr99

Originally posted by Enygma
    Looking at the I-Stream page it seems that you have to pay more to get up to 4 PC's onto the service.
    Is it not possible to set up a proxy on the machine that's connected? Or are they just trying to get money of people who don't realise this? Surely not.

Of course they are, and they will forbid you from using more then one machine in the T&Cs for the people who do realise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

I may need my head examined for giving Eircom the benefit of the doubt but it may not all be bad news. Depending on how the four computers are connected the extra costs may be justified, though they are excessive IMHO.

If the four computers are directly connected to the Eircom infrastructure with a proper IP address for each computer than it is a superior type of connection than connection sharing and is in effect four solo connections (with reduced bandwidth and caps for each computer). IP addresses do cost a few quid so it wouldn't surprise me if they charged more for it. It is a proper direct connection for up to four computers that doesn't depend on a local gateway and will suit some people.

However, if Eircom are saying we can't use an old 486 with Linux or the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) facility in windows to allow other computers on a network access the internet through one computer or are just using a four port hub and router to connect four computers using NAT then it is truly a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

The Multi-User I-Stream option basically means they provide you with an "Ethernet Model" ADSL Modem.

Is has 4 ports, and the modem is connected to ONE adsl line. If you subscribe to the Multi-User option, You will be provided with 4 usernames and passwords (Or one username and password capable of assigning up to and no more than 4 IP's.)

This is a bit confusing im sure but basically, The advantage of the Multi-User I-Stream is that you can be connected through 4 Different PC's (Without using NAT or any of that tripe) and have 4 Different IP Address's on each machine.

Although the other point that was raised (Why not use a proxy) .. Well you could use a proxy, although I personally dislike them because you cant have full True access to the internet (unless you map 65 thousand ports).

I assume that the Multi-User option would share the 512kbit Bandwidth between the 4 different pc's.

But Im 99.999% sure that each machine would have a different IP.

/me Sighs .. thats pppoe for ya.

RentZ

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

So do you get static IPs with some of the services?

• Advertisement

With the enhanced superdooper mega (most expensive one) you do get a static IP yes.

RentZ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭cmkrnl

Assuming they are using something like the Alcatel USB 'fish' over here.

There is nothing stopping you installing SmoothWall http://www.smoothwall.org/ & hanging your entire network behind the single IP address, eircom despite all the T&Cs rheotoric will be none the wiser.

If you spend the extra for ethernet delivery, I would recommend Astaro. http://www.astaro.com/. Which is VERY tasty.

greg

Ive used the Smoothwall program before and I fully endorse this product and/or service :D

Advertisement