Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voip: Worth it or not?

Options
  • 08-10-2005 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭

Being thinking of investing in a headphone/mic set. Mainly because I was on a server earlier and the squad I was in all had mic's set up. We got some great tactics going and it was probably the most enjoyable time I spent playing BF2. Unfortunately though I felt very left out because I had no mic and every time I wanted to convey a message I had to type it out, by the time I had done this the message was irrelevant due to the fast moving pace of the game. So it brings me back to my original point. Are any of you set up for voip within bf2 and if so how much does it improve your gaming experience.

voip: is it worthwhile? 28 votes

Yes teamwork is the way of the future
    0% 0 votes
    No I'm a lonewolf cos its the only way to get things done
    85% 24 votes
    Whats bf2???
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Haven't even tried the VOIP tbh.
    I still just use TS to speak to my clan dudes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I find the sound on voip pretty bad, plus it can slow things down, so we just use t/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

teamspeak meaning what exactly? You mean hitting Q and the saying "GO GO GO"

no, its a separate program where you hold down a key and shout abuse at your teammates through a mic, etc etc.

Teamspeak

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

teamspeak meaning what exactly? You mean hitting Q and the saying "GO GO GO"

No , TS is an external voip program that is used by alot of clans

http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php

• Advertisement

Silverfish wrote:
    no, its a separate program where you hold down a key and shout abuse at your teammates through a mic, etc etc.

Teamspeak

sorry quite drunk now and couldnt be arsed reading through the link fully. Basicaly does it mean talking to your squad or entire team? Entire team sounds a bit a crazy so I presume it just the squad?

Its basically a general games VOIP, not just for BF2.
    You can set it up so everyones in the same channel and can talk to everyone else. You can also set it up so only certain people can talk etc...

Remeber to turn off voice activation if you install TS.
    So many tards....so many..

talk to your team, if they have the t/s ip address.

as Jimeatsmenu said assign a key to press to talk. This is vital, as no-one wants to listen to you argue with your sister for 15 minutes.

jonski wrote:

what if I'm not part of some clan and just palying random servers and want to talk to other players in my squad. I presume its the standard program i'm looking for then?

jonski wrote:

what if I'm not part of some clan and just palying random servers and want to talk to other players in my squad. I presume its the standard program i'm looking for then?
    Unless the server your playing on has a TS channel where most people who play there are on then your better off using the ingame VOIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

No Al , I presume I can call you Al :) , this program connects to a seperate server owned by a clan and you will not be able to hear or speak to any others in the BF2 server that are not on the TS server . It is used by clans for 2 reasons , 1 most games don't support VOIP and 2 you only have to listen to muppets you know :) . Most clan servers will have their own TS and are quiet happy to allow friends to join it .

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Not tried Teamspeak, but myself and a couple of mates use Skype for communicating in a game.. kinda new to this. :D

How does Teamspeak compare to Skype in terms of clarity, system overhead and bandwidth usage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have a question... What's VOIP? I was only ever on one server that I was able to use my mic? The only person that used a mic in our squad was about 10 feet away from me... :) Sad I know. I have never been able to use it since, and my mic works perfectly, I understand that there are TS servers but I thought that if the speaker icon showed when you pressed the speak button then TS should work? Correct? Well this was not the case and I have not used it since to my dissapointment... CAn anyone help? Please and thanks...

TS is brill when done right...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If anyone wants to see what a game is like using VoIP then I'd say join the TacticalGamer server @ TacticalGamer.com 70.86.19.218:16567

On this unranked server you *have* to join a squad and as soon as you do you'll hear your SquadLeader speaking to the team, telling them what the plan and what the commander is asking them to do. You may seem a little shy at first but once you spend 20 minutes playing BF2 and speaking to the others in your team it'll be weird to just join a public server and not use VoIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Had a cracking game today Wake Island....

The commander was using VIOP and boy was he good, unfortunatel he only stayed for one round... It seems that the best way to enjoy BF2 is with voice..

I still find it difficult to play using team work if you have been selected with anyside other than US...

Can anyone explain why they (EA) choose to use the language of the Side EG MEC.. Is it for an added sense of realism...

It would make more sense if you could choose that language of your choice.

In closing if I am to work with teams but have not set myself up with VIOP equip yet, I could only do so on The US side..
    Otherwise I end up going lonewolf... Not much fun....

Any thoughts

Regards

Silverski

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

silverski wrote:
    Can anyone explain why they (EA) choose to use the language of the Side EG MEC.. Is it for an added sense of realism...

It would make more sense if you could choose that language of your choice.

You mean like when someone calls for a medic? You can set the voices to English only in your sound options. It will all be American voices then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

seems very few servers have voip enabled. i've it enabled whenever i play but never seem to hear anything at all besides the usual "GO GO GO", "Mount up" etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Silverfish wrote:
    as Jimeatsmenu said assign a key to press to talk. This is vital, as no-one wants to listen to you argue with your sister for 15 minutes.
    I've been using TS for quite some time now (ut2k4) and tbh, push to talk is useless.
    Every single one of us UIE heads have voice-activation enabled, but we have a key bound to "mute" so that we can have private offline conversations if we need to.

And during clan matches, to prevent the initial activation-lag, we set our sensitivity to maximum so that our mics are always active (technically, this helps on bandwidth aswell as it's a constant stream instead of random-ish stop-start communications)

Mind you, UT2004 is a much faster paced game than BF so I can understand why PTT (Push to talk) is popular here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Agent47

the VOIP in BF2 isnt clear at all, we use ts, clear as crystal, BF voip, cudnt stand a single thing, alsways too high pitched and sounds warped although can be useful wen ur playing wiv ppl not in ur clan on ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

we use skype. Can't fault it at all.
    Just conference in my mates and away we go. Perfectly clear and no pressing buttons to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Voip sucks balls. Not only is it crap, but it'll add massive lag to your game. Just use Teamspeak.

Cheers for the link...

Do you still have that leather trench coat by the way???

He does.
    But he also has some sort of fuzzy creature growing on the back of his head.

LOL I can picture it now...

Advertisement