Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Female Vocalists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

Marey Carey? :confused: Far too sqeaky.

Lisa Hannigan prob my favorite (from Ireland at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Yeah - although she's definitely more a vocalist than a singer :D
    okay dis is probably the stupidest question ever asked,but whats the difference between a vocalist and a singer? :o:confused:
    sorry if im coming across as thick:im not,i swear.......

also,pj harvey,courtney love sheryl crow,natalie imbruglia,mariah carey and agnetha wotsername from abba....great voices i forgot to mention earlier.(not an abba or mariah fan,though.....natalies music is okay,the others i like)
    It's a disgrace that Kate Bush hasn't been mentioned. All of ye go home and listen to Hounds of Love from start to finish
    i only know "Wuthering Heights" and that bugs the hell out of me...sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

rachel haden
    petra haden

both have done vocal work for weezer, the rentals, ozma, jimmy eat world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

okay dis is probably the stupidest question ever asked,but whats the difference between a vocalist and a singer?

I'm not sure if there's any technical difference but generally people who can actually sing in tune properly would be a singer and people who make noises with their voice that's not actually singing (such as screaming, panting, clucking noises, etc) would be a vocalist.

Oh and a word of advice, you're going to get a lot of abuse from some people if you keep posting in different colours and font styles like that. It's not that comfortable to read and it really pisses off some people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

John2 wrote:
    Is her solo stuff good? I only know her ATR work. I was meant to go see her in Berlin but I slept it out.

yeah she has a few albums, its quite good, much the digital hardcore stuff like ATR. ever hear Lolita Storm? Similar again, but very...ahem vocalist singers.

Also your one with the funny name from TILT, great voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

kd lang seems to be a good singer. I don't know much of her music but any bird that can hold their own in a duet with Roy Orbison - like she did on Crying - must be doing something right....

Oh - and did anybody mention Dusty Springfield...for "Going Back", "I Just don't know what to do with myself" and "You don't have to say you love me" she's gotta be one of the best vocalists....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

I think Annie Lennox has a great voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

Afraid not. Carey actually holds world records for the largest vocal range...she can hit a note as low as A2 and is renowned for her eight octave vocal range - two octaves higher than a normal . In fairness I never heard of the other one but she is way above Whitney Houston.

http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/carey.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Your probably right but...

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800019644&cf=gen

and there are plenty of other sites supporting that but also others saying she has a 5 octave range. :confused: . Still better than Whitney though ;)

I always thought Andrea Corr had a sexy voice :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

John2 wrote:
    Oh and a word of advice, you're going to get a lot of abuse from some people if you keep posting in different colours and font styles like that. It's not that comfortable to read and it really pisses off some people.
    advice noted...didnt know it was that annoying..sorry.
    I always thought Andrea Corr had a sexy voice
    her vocal range is very limited,though.you couldnt really imagine her singing anything else apart from the corrs..at least thats what i think :confused:

• Advertisement

her vocal range is very limited,though.you couldnt really imagine her singing anything else apart from the corrs..at least thats what i think :confused:

Personally I thought she murdered REM's "Everybody Hurts" so I agree with you. She should stick to Corrs songs and that way I know when to turn off the radio :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I'm researching all your claims while I listen to 'Islands in the Stream', 'I will always love you', 'Coat of many colours' and more from Dolly! :p

Oh and let's not forget Jolene, but the Stripes have done that, and done it well may I add!

To all you whippersnappers, Dollly is a great female vocalist btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

John2 wrote:
    Personally I thought she murdered REM's "Everybody Hurts" so I agree with you.

I thought it was way better than the original to be honest!

I thought it was way better than the original to be honest!

Each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

In no particular order...

Kate Bush
    Harriet Wheeler (The Sundays)
    Yer wan from the Cocteau Twins
    Gemma Hayes
    Joni Mitchell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

TCamen wrote:
    Chantal Kreviazuk - really pure voice.
    She's brilliant too, I just couldn't remember how to spell her name!

Please don't say that S*nead O'Connor has been mentioned in this thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the two girls in dance hall crashers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

bjork, nina simeone, pj harvey, maybe kate bush.

also, although they're not technically all that great, but i love bilinda butcher (MBV), chan marshall (cat power) and nico's voices as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Can't believe Ella Fitzgerald has only been mentioned once! For shame, you people...

By the way, about Mariah Carey having a 7-octave vocal range: If you REALLY believe this, sit down at a piano and play two notes 7 octaves apart. Then reconsider.

For Christ's sake, having proper control of a 3 or 4 octave range is pretty damn impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Gemma Hayes

Great Irish singer; I really love her voice/music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Bjork, Patsy Cline, Carol King and defo Janis herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

ani difranco
    beth orton
    hope sandoval
    alison goldfrapp
    leslie feist
    bjork
    stina nordenstam
    mary margaret o'hara
    karin droijoers

that all i can think of at the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 invisibleghost

Simone Simons
    Tarja Turunen
    Floor Jansen
    Anneke Van Giersbergen

Also: Fabienne Gondamin and Vibeke Stene
    :p

Nope, I've checked them all, and most are ****e... particularly Bjork... So, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton and our own Sinead O'Connor are the best female vocalists.

TCamen wrote:
    Great Irish singer; I really love her voice/music.

She's sexy, and looks like a good ride, I'll give her that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

Kernel wrote:
    Nope, I've checked them all, and most are ****e... particularly Bjork... So, Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston, Dolly Parton and our own Sinead O'Connor are the best female vocalists.

Bjork is amazingly talented. I'd listen to her over Whitney Houston or Dolly Parton any day. But that's just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Baby Chaos

Mine would have to bo Whiteny Houston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Mariah Carey can hit some impressive high notes alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

tracychapman:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Tarja Turunen is the first name to come to mind for me.

Can't think of anybody else atm.

Advertisement