Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Female Vocalists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

Jenny from Rilo Kiley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Christina Aguilera, Bjork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

has anyone here even heard of Teena Marie? Not only one of the greatest vocalists of her generation, but also a brilliant musician, producer and songwriter. ok her recent album was pretty weak, but her 70's/80's albums kick the **** out of any other female singer, ever!

others worth mentioning

stevie nicks
    jill jones
    kate bush
    kim wilde
    ronnie ronette of the ronettes
    madonna (even though i hate her new stuff)
    gwen stefani (put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen when No Doubt played the Witnness Festival a few years back)
    Dusty Springfield
    Debbie Harry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

kinaldo wrote:
    gwen stefani (put on one of the best live shows I've ever seen when No Doubt played the Witnness Festival a few years back)

Yeah - that was the surprise of Witness 2002 for me - they were pretty good, and I don't even particularly like No Doubt. I was pretty suprised to see she had a six-pack, and even more surprised when she climbed the rigging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

To mention a couple
    -Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)
    -Courtney Love (Hole)
    -Skin (Skunk Anansie)

They all have brilliant voices imo. Kylie Minogue's voice struck me recently in a Nick Cave song. I don't particularly like her usual style but her voice on the song is deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Teller

Mariah Carey.....in the old days before she turned in to a diva :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

SarahNixey of BlackBoxRecorder.

Also by bizarre coincidence she also just happens to be the best-looking female vocalist too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Brody Dalle, lol

but seriously I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera and Charolette Church have very impressive voices in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

Nina Simone
    Tori Amos
    Tracy Chapman
    Gwen Stafani
    Garbage girl...
    Suzanne Vega
    Shona Bradley
    so many more!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Quite like Mazzy Star now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

lacuna wrote:
    To mention a couple
    -Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star)
    -Courtney Love (Hole)
    -Skin (Skunk Anansie)

They all have brilliant voices imo. Kylie Minogue's voice struck me recently in a Nick Cave song. I don't particularly like her usual style but her voice on the song is deadly.

hope sandoval was one i mentioned. have you heard her album 'bavarian fruit bread'? (hope sandoval & the warm inventions) very nice.
    and the kylie/nick cave song is 'where the wild roses grow' i believe...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

Yes..."Where The Wild Roses Grow". That's the one. It's very good.

I haven't heard Sandoval's album, only Mazzy Star. But i'll be sure to check it out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Tori Amos
    Suzanne Vega
    Sinead O'Connor
    Delores O'Riordan (The Cranberries)
    Nina Hynes
    Andrea Corr

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Marts wrote:
    Brody Dalle, lol

but seriously I dunno

:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I find Cara Dillon's voice hypnotic. Anyone else like her stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Wouldnt call them the best, but i really enjoy Stevie Nicks, Cindi Lauper and Christina Scabia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Joni Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Christina Scabbia is actually a superb vocalist. Take a listen to "To myself I turned" or the 2nd disc of Coma Lies, its very impressive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Joan Osborne, Heather Small (M People), Ella Fitzgerald, Katrina Leskanich (Katrina & The Waves) and Sheryl Crow are among my favourites.

Edit: Bjork would probably be in there somewhere too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Spacedog wrote:
    Joan Osborne
    Glad to see her mentioned by someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

one i forgot to mention earlier- Sian Evans (Kosheen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭monroe

i don't believe from my obseration that she has been nominated

I find her pretty cool

Anna Nalick...........................

most tracks, breath is the most well known........apres ca.........paper bag............bleed....

great tracks..

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

had a quick flick through there and i think i'm right in saying that not one of you has mentioned Lisa Gerrard!:eek: Shame on you all! :) now go look her up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Actually Aretha Franklin goes without sayin!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

yeah arethra is great, as is edith piaf, but the greatest ever is without a doubt Nina Simone, theres more feeling in her music than any other female performer i've listened to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Helper_Monkey

in 5 pages no-one has mentioned Sandy Denny!!!!
    Who? now sadly deceased singer for 70's english folk/rocky bands Fairport convention and Fotheringay. SHE is the best singer of all time. DOnt beleave me? CHeck her out

here's a Pandora.com station youll here her and some other good stuff on soon enough.... http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh8394689 (just skip till you find fairport or fotheringay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭samo

My own opinion would be Stevie Nicks, Debbie Harry, Aretha Franklin and Dionne Warwick, all been mentioned before but worth mentioning again!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Its gotta be me:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭StJimmy

Brody Dalle of The Distillers for me.

Advertisement