Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Live Onstage Quotes...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

It was legendary - they didn't expolde, they just made lots of fizzling noises - yes the beer in QUBSU is *that* bad!

Legendary gig though - they just kept going!

Bit at the end was great too - "Whats the biggest circle you can make in this hall?" cue people sqeezing into the walls and a 8m hole in the centre of the hall.
    I didn't mean literally explode ;) "Explode" as in be rendered completely useless for the rest of the gig. It was legendary alright.

Sorry btw, I didn't see your first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

manic streep preachers have some class ones but one of my favs was at a gig in cardif.....ogi ogi ogi oi oi ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I was told that mustaine made some comment in belfast about Northen Ireland winning its freedom. Can anyone confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Yes, back in 88 he uttered something along the lines of "Give Ireland back to the Irish" before starting Anarchy In The UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

This is quite good. Part hippy spanner part Bill Hicks.

http://d45hiz.shackspace.com/bcspeech.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Doctor J wrote:
    Yes, back in 88 he uttered something along the lines of "Give Ireland back to the Irish" before starting Anarchy In The UK.

"In keeping with the times, the tour was not without incident. In Belfast, Mustaine made the fatal error of speaking out about "the troubles in Northern Ireland", a rant that won him a few friends. Ultimately, it meant the band would not play there again for another decade, such was the antipathy stirred up by Mustaine's vague comments about "how the **** one religion can say anything against another religion". "Ireland was a bad experience all around for us," Mustaine admitted years later. "The pissing part for me is that I'm quarter Irish." "

From here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Andy Cairns from Therapy?

'Gentlemen, start your axes!'

But the one that gets me everytime is the voice of Orson Welles

'Ladies and Gentlemen, from the United States of America, please welcome, Manowar!'

blastman wrote:
    "In keeping with the times, the tour was not without incident. In Belfast, Mustaine made the fatal error of speaking out about "the troubles in Northern Ireland", a rant that won him a few friends. Ultimately, it meant the band would not play there again for another decade, such was the antipathy stirred up by Mustaine's vague comments about "how the **** one religion can say anything against another religion". "Ireland was a bad experience all around for us," Mustaine admitted years later. "The pissing part for me is that I'm quarter Irish." "

From here

Hmmm, there are so many factual errors on that page, I'd take that account with a pinch of salt (for a start, it was on the SFSGSW tour). I don't recall Dave being that philosophical onstage at that point of his career (ie the worst of his heroin addiction).

There is a bootleg of the gig out there and upon further investigation it appears he introduced Anarchy In The UK by shouting "This one's for the cause!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Doctor J wrote:
    Hmmm, there are so many factual errors on that page, I'd take that account with a pinch of salt (for a start, it was on the SFSGSW tour). I don't recall Dave being that philosophical onstage at that point of his career (ie the worst of his heroin addiction).

There is a bootleg of the gig out there and upon further investigation it appears he introduced Anarchy In The UK by shouting "This one's for the cause!"
    I heard several accounts that he made a reference onstage to "the cause" and that's what was responsible for the controversy. That article was the result of a quick search on Google, that's all :)

Heh heh, I think it was something to do with some bootleg t-shirts being sold outside by the IRA and a botched explanation of the troubles which lead to it. I was at the gig in Dublin the day before and I think the "cause" outburst is the most plausible in my mind given the onstage banter I saw :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

"Ever get the feeling you've been had?"

Johhny Rotten, last ever Sex Pistols gig, in San Francisco.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ilac

"This is for anyone who loves"
    Thom Yorke, before playing Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Tent tour, Punchestown, October 2000.

"I will not follow"
    Billy Corgan, after playing the intro to U2's 'I Will Follow', in the Olympia in November 2000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Undergod wrote:
    "Ever get the feeling you've been had?"

Johhny Rotten, last ever Sex Pistols gig, in San Francisco.

Nice signature, hence this minor correction. He actually said "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    Nice signature, hence this minor correction. He actually said "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?".

Pedant! Yeah, I thought it was a frequently misquoted one, but I couldn't find anything that corrected me, so I went ahead with the one I remembered. Danke.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silenoz

I think Dave Mustaine's quote was: "...This one's for the cause" before they were supposed to play Holy Wars. Needless to say they didn't get too far into the song before they had to be rushed off the stage and escourted out of Belfast!

Whoever quoted Snow Patrol for "Chocolate" -Brilliant!
    One of my favourite quotes is Hank Von Helvete on the Turbonegro: Movie DVD : "Homosexuality is more than just ****ing assholes in the toilet, it's about friendship" -In a very funny Norwegian accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Droogie

silenoz wrote:
    I think Dave Mustaine's quote was: "...This one's for the cause" before they were supposed to play Holy Wars. Needless to say they didn't get too far into the song before they had to be rushed off the stage and escourted out of Belfast!

That couldn't be right. He wrote Holy Wars about the incident.

It was before "Anarchy In The UK"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Holy Wars is about the troubles? How odd... I woud have assumed it was about the Middle east. Meh.

Droogie wrote:
    That couldn't be right. He wrote Holy Wars about the incident.

What? No... he didn't write Holy Wars about that incident. It was about religious wars in general -Middle East mainly. I don't think Dave Mustaine knew much about Protestant / Catholic conflicts in the North before he went there, and that was after the Rust In Peace album was released.

Where are you getting your information? :eek:

OK, let's clear this up and put this puppy to sleep. The incident happened on the 11th of May 1988. How do I know this? I was at the gig in Dublin on the 10th and word got back down the follwoing week about it (we didn't have the internet back then ;) ). For the record, they didn't play NI on the R.I.P. tour, they played the Point on 1st of April 1991 and that was the last night of the European tour. Holy Wars hadn't been written at that time of the Belfast gig which was in 1988, I say again. He said it before "Anarchy In The UK" which they closed that tour's set with. Think about it...

"...the cause..."

"...anarchy..."

"...in the UK of all places..."

"...the cause..."

"...anarchy..."

"...in the UK..."

Legend has it that there were bootleg t-shirts being sold outside the venue and when he enquired why nothing was being done about it, he was given a rather potted explanation of "the cause" as basically Catholic vs Protestant.

If you listen to the lyrics of Holy Wars you'll hear the line

"Fools like me who cross the sea
    and come to foreign lands
    ask the sheep for their beliefs
    do you kill on God's command"

Now, he'd want to have been on some mighty powerful heroin to have written a song which predicted the ****e he'd get himself into in Belfast and then play it to them straight after a misguided outburst about "the cause", don't you think?

Or does it make more sense for him to have made the outburst, thought about it and then write a song about it afterwards, recounting, rather than predicting his actions? Yes, that makes much more sense.

The song is about religious tension inspiring conflict and hatred, inspired by his experience in Belfast but applicable to religious-based war anywhere. I think the middle-eastern myth is because of the acoustic riff played by Marty Friedman in the middle, combined with the gruesome footage in the video largley taken from middle-eastern conflicts.

There is a bootleg of the gig out there, Megadeth - Antrim Forum - 11th of May 1988 - for anyone who really cares enough to get his exact words.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭2+2=5

Random Ed Vedder quotes

"Everytime I see the spice girls, it makes me want to try to fly by climbing my roof and strapping bricks to my shoes"

Ed to crowd at Sydney, February 14, 2003:"I should warn you that tonight we are on the radio. You're not allowed to say piss, **** or **** so don't say it ok? As in "piss.. I've got to take one".. or "**** .. I thought my seats would be better", or "**** this absurd idea of going to war".

"Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision. 'Do I want it long? Do I want it short? I just can't take a stand.' I guess there's a lot of indecisive people in Canada if you know what I mean."

"Do you want a message?......Do you want a message?.....Kill your local rapist...but torture him first...then serve him to one of your enemies for dinner...I'll cook"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing... " - from Spinal Tap

"I'd like to introduce... the best band in the ****ing universe! Rage Against the Machine!" - Mary Morello

"There's another show going on across the street from here, but it's all sold out" - Zack de la Rocha (outside the Democratic National Convention)

"Brothers and sisters, our democracy has been hijacked. Brothers and sisters, all electoral freedoms in this country are over so long as it's controlled by corporations. Brothers and sisters, we are not going to allow these streets to be taken over by the Democrats or the Republicans. Because it's all of us who have built this city, and we can tear it down unless they give us what we need." - Zack de la Rocha

"Ah Par-ee (Paris), manger beaucoup le fromage" - Jeff Buckley (live in France)

"Jeff Buckley, walks through walls..." - Jeff Buckley

"I'm a ridiculous person, and you are lucky you have paid no money to see me" - Jeff Buckley.

"This is Sin-E, beautiful friend..." - Jeff Buckley (imitating Jim Morrison)

"Can I spit in your mouth?" - Jeff Buckley

"Sixties is bullsh1t, Seventies almost big big bullsh1t, Eighties, bullsh1t (except for the Smiths maybe). Get out of it, sh1ts happening now! It's all about now! Bigger, faster, sweatier, skinner, whiter, blacker, Gracer...." - Jeff Buckley

Doctor J wrote:
    OK, let's clear this up and put this puppy to sleep. The incident happened on the 11th of May 1988. of May 1988....

Aha... I see. I guess I'll have to stop getting my information from second-rate metal magazines. Although I would like to think that some good heroin allowed him to predict future events... That would make the story more interesting.
    Well, at least now I have a fact to throw in the face of all the other Megadeth fans who were thinking the same as me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 michael_collins

r.h.c.p live in slane "flea, man" "yeah" "i love you" "i love you too, goodnight ireland"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 blackrainbow

when the darkness were on stage supportin metallica they said they rocked and sum 1 in the crowed shouted back like a sponge and every burst themselves kaughin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭gokgok

Doctor J wrote:

Legend has it that there were bootleg t-shirts being sold outside the venue and when he enquired why nothing was being done about it, he was given a rather potted explanation of "the cause" as basically Catholic vs Protestant.

He talks about this in an interview on the b side of the holy wars 12"(pic disk).
    And goes on to say about one religion being better that another and killing for your god etc. etc.

According Contactmusic.com, MEGADETH mainman DAVE MUSTAINE once incited public unrest when he played a concert in Northern Ireland, because he unwittingly expressed support for the Irish Republican Army (IRA). The frontman was so intrigued by a discussion about the problems between Northern Ireland's Catholic and Protestant communities, he dedicated a song to what had been described to him as 'the cause'.

But little did he know 'the cause' was a euphemism for the IRA, which at that time conducted terrorist attacks both in Northern Ireland and mainland Britain as it sought unification with Ireland.

Mustaine recalls, "When I was in Ireland, somebody talked to me about 'the cause', the reason why they were killing so many Catholics and Protestants. To me this made sense, and from the stage I dedicated a song to 'the cause'. The next day, we received threats and had to travel in a bulletproof bus. It turns out 'the cause' was the way in which Irish would call the IRA. I never felt so stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Lump Basher

Vile wrote:
    The funniest quote I've seen was by some support band I can't remember the name of (they weren't great). I think it was at Anthrax in the Ambassador.

"Alright....everyone split into two sides, with a space down the middle, and turn to face one another. Now...when the song starts I want you to......"

*Wild waving of arms from the security people*

"...well...I can't tell you what to do....but I'm sure you have an idea."
    Well?? What was it? Fight, or Mosh, or throw stuff at each other, or line dance opposite each other, etc, etc?? It isn't THAT obvious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

At HIM in the Ambassador last June there was loads of underwear thrown up on the stage, as you do, and then a pair of cheapest of the cheap fat boy boxers go flying up, Ville picks them up, shows them to the crowd and says "someone's really gonna get lucky tonight"

At the same gig socks were also thrown up, and Ville with his really posh accent when speaking english just says "socks everywhere, it's going to be a delightful Christmas"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

While The Hives were playing Witnness a few years ago the front man asks the crowd...

Hives Front Man: "Who Loves The Hives?"

Crowd: "woooo..."

HFM: "Who hates The Hives?"

C: "WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!"

HFM: ".....Well **** you then!"

Advertisement