Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A possible approach to take with the ODTR

Options
  • 12-09-2001 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭

How much of a technical clue does the ODTR really have?

I suspect not too much, dealing more with law than really technical issues.

If so, here's a possible approach to take to them regarding the caps and prices EIRCOM proposes: show them how much TIME will be taken in using up the cap, for the price quoted by eircom:

so if we take the lowest priced offer (solo at IR£77), we see that we have a download speed of 512kbits/second

and we have a cap of 3 gigabytes, or 24e9 bits

assume that we get an average download rate of 256kbits/s (this may be relatively optimistic)..
    this leaves us with 24e9/256000 = 93750 seconds, or 26 hours of downloading... a month.

Is that what we're paying £80 for "always on" broadband for? Show the ODTR an actual example of what these caps mean in real life (vary the average download rate according to what people testing typically saw), and show ODTR these figures, to give them an actual "real-world" feel for what we'll get for our money.

STOP THE CAPS!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I sent an email to the ODTR to complain about the Eircom prices and cap.

Here's the response I got -

_____

All I can say at this time is that the ODTR have not
    approved eircom's prices and will issue a statement shortly.

____

It'll be interesting to see what the ODTR have to say now. Maybe if there are enough complaints they might pay attention -- telecoms@odtr.ie

Advertisement