Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass - where can I buy discontinued patterns?

Options
  • 08-10-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

During a renovation, two panes of glass in our front door have been broken. The glass dates from the early 1950's and they stopped making it twenty five years ago.

Rather than replace all nine panes in the door, I'd like to try to source enough of the original glass.

It's a pimple pattern.

Any idea where I might find discontinued glass patterns? Preferably in the Dublin area, but I am willing to travel.

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A few years back i broke a pain in my inside porch and i couldn't get a new piece as it was discontinued. I had to replace all the glass in the door with new glass. I tried lots of different companys to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Unless anyone else in the area has changed his door and has the old one in a garage..Worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Its a long shot.....but I'm just about to replace the glass from around my door...its an early 50's pimple pattern !

Chances of same pattern & size are remote, but if you wanna pm me with details, maybe take a pic...I'll see if it matches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Andip,

Thanks for the offer.

Here's a link to a pic of a broken piece........

http://homepage.eircom.net/~ThePlayer/Glass.jpg

......the chestnut is just for scale.

The pimples are on one side only.

Is it what you've got?

Many thanks.

D.

You may be in luck....difficult to tell for sure.

Here's a link to pics of the glass

http://www.andiplaster.utvinternet.com/glass.htm

When you view from a distance, mine seems to have almost an oval pattern of pimples in it, also..is your glass bevelled ? if so it may be thicker. My stuff is fairly thin without a bevel but likewise, only has pimples on one side.

The glass is coming out over the weekend...I have 6 panels roughly 18" by 12" plus three wider panels. We're bound to have some breakage, so if you think its close, I'll pop a piece in an envelope for you to compare for sure.

Andi

ps...didn't have a chesnut...so you'll have to make do with a walnut !! lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Andip,

I'm in luck..........and I'm not! ;-(

Yes, that's the glass, but I need bigger panes.

It's for a 1950's 'Sunburst' hall door and they're about 4' in length.

Looks like I'll have to reglaze the entire door.

Many thanks for your help.

D.

No worries...biggest panel I've got is 33" x 12"...........

good luck with the glazing !!

Advertisement