Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop and network?

Options
  • 08-10-2005 1:20pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

is it easy to sort your laptop on the college network, i dont even know where to start to set it up? anyone on the network here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

oooh... good question! I've no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

in the snackery (kevin st) there's free wifi. i assume to access the college network you "borrow" the cable from a comp in one of the labs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i checked it out, all ya have to apparently is search for the network, once its found login with your dit computer login, too easy...theres clearly a catch...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

once its found login with your dit computer login, too easy...theres clearly a catch...

Warning Warning!!!
    Haxxor HaXor, Cheet0r. U R stealing DIt bandwidth0r
    U R Bann0rd from Dit0r.
    Plz leave D college 'nd Nvr Return0r again!!!

Thanks the warning you get if you connect to the network,... So I've been told

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I was just thinking about this earlier actually so thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

i connect to the wireless network in aungier street library, all you have to do is enter an email address, its simple - once your computer finds it that is

Wow, thats amazingly handy! In Trinity ya had to go to a meeting and jump through loads of hoops before ya even got near the wireless network.. and you had to have XP Pro and they used a seperate profile just for the wireless. In the end it seemed like too much hassle so I didnt bother. ugh. Glad to hear DIT is painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

When and where did ye all get your login to the network? I've been uhh "busy" these past few weeks and missed all but 2 days this year. To say i'm lost would be an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Si1ence

In Trinity ya had to go to a meeting and jump through loads of hoops before ya even got near the wireless network..

um..... why are you in a dit forum????

its your surname then underscore and your first initial

ie. doe_j

your password is blank first time you log in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Si1ence

In Trinity ya had to go to a meeting and jump through loads of hoops before ya even got near the wireless network..

su_dios wrote:
    its your surname then underscore and your first initial

ie. doe_j

your password is blank first time you log in.

Well that didnt work, if I leave the password blank it gives me the auld "incorrect username or password" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

your user id is your student number and password is your date of birth ddmmyyyy

Cheers, that worked alright.

Si1ence wrote:
    infultrating the front lines... sneaky bastards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

kjt wrote:
    Warning Warning!!!
    Haxxor HaXor, Cheet0r. U R stealing DIt bandwidth0r
    U R Bann0rd from Dit0r.
    Plz leave D college 'nd Nvr Return0r again!!!

Thanks the warning you get if you connect to the network,... So I've been told

nerd

Si1ence wrote:

Cause I go to DIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

orla wrote:
    nerd

Time of the month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

kjt wrote:
    Time of the month?

yea it is, she said you can lick it clean if you want.

Ok I went to sign onto the wireless network today and none of the above worked. I then went to the guy in charge of computers and he said you sign in as a guest using your email address only...seemed a bit odd. He also couldn't tell me much about it! Signal strength is also very low.

One question...How can I sign into msn? I know I can use webmessenger but thats just awkward. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

well i didnt bring my lappy in yet but i was in the changing rooms in kev street pool and the wireless works no password there, just login, oh but ya need set your ip to dynamic i thinks or something, i fiddled with it and it worked anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

su_dios wrote:
    Ok I went to sign onto the wireless network today and none of the above worked. I then went to the guy in charge of computers and he said you sign in as a guest using your email address only...seemed a bit odd. He also couldn't tell me much about it! Signal strength is also very low.

One question...How can I sign into msn? I know I can use webmessenger but thats just awkward. Any ideas?
    If you use one of the labs you can use msn, IRC etc.

If you use your lappy on the wireless network none of the above work. Just load any page and a site comes up, you enter your email addy in the top left hand corner.

sound thanks for the help!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

The wirless network in dit is totally unsupported at the moment. To log in all u need to do is put in any random e-mail address such as ddd@ddd.com and it will let u in no bother. The speed is crappy and the signal strength is crappy too (this is kevin street im talking about) and the only place is in the smackery. Auinger street is not much better, they have it in the libary and in the area sorrunding java city and in the downstairs canteen but the speed is ****e too. Lots of people with admin$ and c$ shares open if u wanted to have a bit of fun too.

Dave.

saw an irish broadband van working away accross the road from kevin st... could be good news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭DjDangerousDave

saw an irish broadband van working away accross the road from kevin st... could be good news

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Jorinn wrote:
    If you use one of the labs you can use msn, IRC etc.

If you use your lappy on the wireless network none of the above work. Just load any page and a site comes up, you enter your email addy in the top left hand corner.
    I have tried many a time to connect to quakenet.org through different irc java applets on the labs in DIT and have been so far unsucessfull. It keeps timing out on me, like it's blocked by a firewall somewhere. How can you connect to IRC?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 zimbabady

Here are links to the wirless areas in some if the DIT college's.

AungierSt Coverage
    KevinSt Coverage
    BoltonSt Coverage
    MJoySq Coverage

For the rest, Here's the area's
    Pembroke St Boardroom.
    Rathmines TBC.
    Cathal Brugha St Library and social areas.
    Camden Row Ground Floor Seminar Room
    2nd Floor Meeting Room

MSN should work on your laptop anywere. If not then heres a web based msn client, http://www.e-messenger.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Binomate wrote:
    I have tried many a time to connect to quakenet.org through different irc java applets on the labs in DIT and have been so far unsucessfull. It keeps timing out on me, like it's blocked by a firewall somewhere. How can you connect to IRC?
    Find a server that you can connect to port 8080 on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement