Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wholesale ADSL Prices

Options
  • 12-09-2001 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

there seems to be allot of confustion over this,
    the odtr has to aprove the wholesale adsl price, she has *NO* say on retail prices. the ODTR has NOT settled adsl wholesale prices but they has to be settled by law before eircon can lauch its retail service.

The Wholesale Price rejected by the odtr were 70 euros about 55 pounds. (acording to a report in the times)
    so it looks good for some body to be able to undercut eircon.

What is not know is weather bitstream access will be per mb or not. i.e. will eircon charge esat per mb or not.

these are the facts at the this moment in time.

please feel free to add or substract from what ive said, its just afew people seem confused as to why the odtr has allowed the retail prices to go ahead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

there seems to be allot of confustion over this,
    the odtr has to aprove the wholesale adsl price, she has *NO* say on retail prices. the ODTR has NOT settled adsl wholesale prices but they has to be settled by law before eircon can lauch its retail service

so is anyone responsible for the retail prices ? noone ? the minister for the environment ? why does ntr need corpo approval to set the price of its tolls and eircom can decide what it wants to charge for its network ? (A network that mary o gave them) ...

Should the government by asked to explain why the have this double-standard in relation to two types of infrastructure ?

there is an election coming up, after all .....

should we find out what our local pols position is ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

so is anyone responsible for the retail prices ?

Note: IANAL, most of this is dicated by common sense.

The Competition Authority. In the current marketplace - or at least the marketplace when Eircon actually release i-Scream - Eircon will have a monopoly in ADSL supply. In fact they'll have a broadband monopoly, since the wireless suppliers are not widespread enough to be considered competitive enough, and there are ostensibly no other available solutions.

In a monopoly situation that can't be resolved in other ways, the Competition Authority must ensure that pricing by the monopoly is fair and justified. In a competitive environment - say for example if Esat, Colt and other get up off their arses and start offering the service via bitsream - the situation is slightly different, in that the Competition Authority must do the above, and they must also see to it that the providers aren't controlling pricing.

Both are currently true in Ireland when it comes to Internet services in Ireland, which are vastly overpriced and limited, and which is why the Competition Authority featured as a winner in my prize draw (the prize hopefully being a slight flush in the face area). I also believe that the pricing set by Eircom for DSL products, both wholesale and retail, is not directly related to costs, and they are therefore operating illegally.

The Competition Authority should bring legal action against Eircon to bring their prices down in accordance with justifiable costs, and they should also get an injunction preventing them from postponing rollout if Eircom decide to take it to the courts. And they should do it now.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭neverhappen

The Competition Authority should bring legal action against Eircon to bring their prices down in accordance with justifiable costs, and they should also get an injunction preventing them from postponing rollout if Eircom decide to take it to the courts. And they should do it now

I agree. I think Eircom should be prevented from even starting the dsl market off with this offering. If the market starts here it will take years to get to a decent level.

Whilst ire-off's statement seems to "welcome with reservations" the dsl product, it seems to me that this is being a little bit easy on eircom in case they take the cookie jar away. But, as I've said in other postings, its up to the gov to find a way to prevent this, be that via the regul or the comp auth or pass a new "misuse of infrastucture" bill...

In the meantime, should a petition be sent to the competition authority complaining about the cost of I-$-cream?

Advertisement