Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microwave RF Experts!!! Ripwave Question

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Does the RIPWAVE have an external connector for an antenna ?
    AFAIK it does not so external antennas can't be used. Also the frequencies are wrong so a commercially available 2.5GHz antenna is about as useful as wet string at 3.5GHz

One option that should work is putting the RIPWAVE at the focal point of a parabolic dish. Not sure if the open mesh of a 2.5GHz would work at 3.5GHz due to the shorter wavelength so you might have to use a satellite dish. And you'll need waterproofing too.

Try a corner reflector (google) made from thin foil indoors first.

Or simply buy a water proof box from an electrical supplier and mount it out side perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

That antenna is 3.5Ghz, Ripwave operates at 3.5Ghz AFAIK.

By removing the upright antenna on the ripwave you can plug in an external antenna.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Ballooba, are you getting significant improvements in performance when you put the unit outside for direct line of sight?

My own experience is that problems with ripwave stem mainly from the base station transmitter and IBB's management of it. Signal strength, once it is above a certain minimum, doesn't seem to make a huge lot of difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭edunon

Agree with SkepticOne, my Ripwave modem never had green light, always orange. First 3 months worked perfect, next three really slow. After no paying it for 2 months is back to good speed... Coincidence? Maybe...

Yes, I get a green light when it is sitting on my window sill (outside).

Red when it is inside and amber when it is balanced on the window frame which necessitates the window being open which is a bit inconvenient coming into autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

ballooba wrote:
    Yes, I get a green light when it is sitting on my window sill (outside).

Red when it is inside and amber when it is balanced on the window frame which necessitates the window being open which is a bit inconvenient coming into autumn.
    I meant in terms of performance (downloads, pings etc). For me, red does slow down transfers but there doesn't seem to be that much difference (if any) between amber and green. I get pretty much full speed on both green and amber.

I can see, however, that you need to open the window just to get amber.

Well if it gave better pings, transfer rates etc. then all the better. Really though I just want to close the damn window in my bedroom!!!

I presume I would get better pings because the fact that my signal at the moment is a reflected one rather than a direct LOS to the mast would mean that it has further to travel.

Just read an interesting article which I have attached. (275kb).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

First things first. There are two different ripwave modems in use in Dublin at the moment - 2.4 & 3.5Ghz bandwidth. The easy way to tell is to look at the top of the modem - If there's one row of vents it's a 2.4Ghz model - If there are two rows of vents, yep, you guessed it. The pictures I've included are of a 3.5Ghz model.

Second - The ripwave *LOOKS* like it doesn't have an external antenna connector. To assume this to be true you would be mistaken. In fact - The ripwave has 3 antenna - 2 internal and the flip up EXTERNAL antenna on the front. To connect an external antenna you'll need a couple of things and you will have to remove the currently installed external antenna. See the photos to follow each step detailed below:

1. Note the location of the two antenna positioning marks on the casing. They're two raised lines on the edge of the antenna and the model itself. When the antenna is in the 'stored' position (down) they're approx. 10mm offset.

2. Rotate the antenna towards the 'active' position (up) and carefully align the marks as shown in the next photo.

3. Excercise real caution here - Apply even pressure to the antenna to pull it directly away from the modem base unit. Screw this up and you might damage the connectors. Just be careful and note that you might need to apply a bit of pressure to get it removed - It's a pressure fitting.

ripwavebase.jpg and ripwaveantenna.jpg (LARGE files) show the male and female MX connectors on the base station and the antenna. From here you'll need to let the lads down in Waterford see these connectors and specify what cable length you require. Point them here or email a copy of the photos (hense the large pictures) and they'll be able to spec an external antenna complete with the required cabling pre-terminated with the correct connectors. Also, you'll need to let them know what wavelength your Ripwave is running on - 2.4 or 3.5 - See my initial comments again if you've forgotten how to tell the difference!

Simple. I spoke with them months ago to confirm they could make this cable up. They can and will ship directly to you for a couple of euro for the lot. They reckon a 12db boost will increase the ripwave range by several kilometers at a conservative estimate.

Please note again that there is NO guarantee this will improve the service you get with your Ripwave. Also note that if Irish Broadband know you've screwed around with your ripwave they'll likely crucify you and charge for a replacement unit which could cost hundreds of euro. On the flipside, the booster antenna supplied by Wi-Pipe is passive so unless IBB survey the outside of your house and can clearly see the cable running to your Ripwave there's little they can do to prove it. The antenna will boost the signal you receive but won't amplify your return transmission so you should be all clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Bugger - Didn't know of that article.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Would it not be a lot easier to just get Clearwire instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 shamage

Gil_Dub wrote:
    I spoke with them months ago to confirm they could make this cable up. They can and will ship directly to you for a couple of euro for the lot. They reckon a 12db boost will increase the ripwave range by several kilometers at a conservative estimate.

Which will no doubt push the 2.4 modem well over the max EIRP for ISM 2.4Ghz use, Causing numerous problems such as reciever saturation or near by Ripwave modems and other people trying to use the same band.

Also I would NOT recommend that any one modify a 3.5Ghz ripwave unit. This is a licenced transmitter operating at a licenced frequency. Each ripwave basestation has a licenced area of 15km for the assigned frequency. At the edge of its operation there is another 15km buffer zone where this frequenct will not be allocated by comreg. If you increase the output power of your modem you could end up causing interfierence in another sector which may even belong to another operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭PlasmaFish

Hi all

Well this Ripwave has been looked at time and time again on boards. My friend and I had a look at it in Galway a few months back and here was an earlier post we did up with lots of info.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=280095

Basically if your looking for speed, consistence with good pings and very low latency that works for file sharing apps then Ripwave is NOT FOR YOU!.
    The technology it uses is only designed to provide entry level broadband for people that want to browse the internet. Stream video and maybe use VoIP (VoIP works on it however it knows the difference between multiplayer game traffic and VoIP and has built in QoS if the ISP enables it)

We did try the external antenna on it with a 21dB directional antenna with a MCX connecter on one end. All from www.wi-pipe.ent
    It gives you a good solid green but in reality the pings, download speeds where crap. As it’s a contented service that is multiplexed.

What do I mean by multiplexed well say you have 2000 Ripwave units working off one Base Station? Well the BS will transmitter and receive data to only about 300 -> 500 at units at any one time. And jumping around to the units that request service. Resulting in high latency.

If you can’t get a green signal all the time on the unit then it doesn’t work in you area send it back.
    Face the Facts you’re not going to get Leased line Broadband for €18.99 a month
    Better off moving up to Breeze 1Mbit

For 18.99 a month, if this setup means that I can close my window when it's cold and not lose the connection then I'll go for it.

I would be going for the 9db option. Its more aesthetically pleasing and has to go on the side of my house. I don't think I actually need the gain its purely the LOS.

Never told IBB about this but the ear actually broke off my modem. It needs to be off to balance the way it is and get amber signal.

Advertisement