Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice

Options
  • 12-09-2001 6:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I'd appreciate any considerations on the following.. Preferably from those with similar experience or knowledge.

I've been doing contract web development for a company from home for several months now. Basically, when I get a site finished I get paid plus an addition couple of hundred every month for setting up domains, email aliases etc etc..

Recently, the company purchased an entire remote server on which I have been given root and am to administrate. The hosting company maintains the physical security but everything else will be my responsibility: Configuring Apache, MySQL, PERL, sendmail, ftp, user accounts etc etc..

However, Nothing has been mentioned in terms of administration fees but I feel I should charge them for this. Despite compensation for the amount of time I'll need to spend online to manage everything, I should be paid for doing the job.

What I'm wondering is, what's a reasonable rate for remote linux administration? I am not inexperienced but I haven't done it professionally before..

Do you think I am being reasonanle in applying these additional charges?

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have to spend time doing 'genuine' work maintaining a site, then you should be able to charge accordingly.
    However, if you are offering a hosting service, basic technical support should be included in the price, or an explicit pricing structure agreed on.
    Setting a price for your own work is a difficult matter. You may feel that as a sole trader your overheads are lower and you need to price yourself according to market forces. However, you should not underprice your skills.
    Actual charges are a difficult matter, but I know that some of these were discussed a while back. If you have a look at some of the IT recruitment sites you should get some idea (eg NewMediaCV )

I hope that's of some help to you :p

Advertisement