Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serenity

• 08-10-2005 3:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Went to see it last night,
    Wow, its fantastic, makes you realise where Lucas went all wrong.
    Everything was spot-on but particularly the dialog, brilliant!
    Brought a Firefly vuirgin with me and he thought it the best bit of sci-fi/adventure he had seen for quite a while.

Where next though?
    More TV?
    More movies?
    A game perhaps?

Must have more info!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Oooh, I went to see it last night and really enjoyed it too! :D

Been patiently awaiting its release for months, and that only made my expectations for the film abnormally high. Happy to report that I came out of the cinema feeling totally satisfied :)

I feel that even though Whedon managed to create a functional story with the two hours he was given (and one with particular relevence to the characters and overarching plot of the series), its still very necessary for people to have seen the Firefly series beforehand. Otherwise they wont appreciate all the nuances of the characters or fully understand the history of their relationships.

Sadly, the film suffers from the same problem that afflicted the Next Generation movies. Given the short running time, only particular characters (from an ensemble TV show) were focused on in any great detail. Not everyone will be happy with this, but if you treat this movie as an extra long episode of the show, there is nothing to complain about. And really, all I wanted from Serenity was a little more Firefly, and thats exactly what I got :D

The Whedon wit is still there, and the action has been amped up quite a bit (with just a touch of violence, for those folk partial to such behaviour!). The effects are (just like in the series) suitablely spectacular. And I was delighted to see that they have finally perfected the hovercraft, after its abysmal appearance in "Heart of Gold" :rolleyes:

Go check it, you wont be disappointed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not sure if the TV show is a prerequisite for seeing the movie, I had only seen two episodes of the show that previous weekend on Sci-Fi and still enjoyed it, hopefully it will catapult the DVD sales through the roof, must get them myself, anyone know where I can get an affordable copy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Full_Circle

Originally posted by CiDeRmAn:
    Not sure if the TV show is a prerequisite for seeing the movie

It might not be a prerequisite, but I think it would infinately add to your enjoyment of the movie and would give you a much greater understanding of all the characters. I just felt that since some of the characters are barely touched upon in the movie, the Firefly series helps fill them in a lot more.

Most online sites are selling the Firefly series for 26.99 or 29.99 sterling, but I am almost sure that HMV (the shop, not the website) were selling it for 29.99 euro at some point, so I'd suggest having a quick look there. Happy bargin hunting! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've only seen a couple of episodes from the series but really didn't like them, enjoyed the movie however,nice special effects, buffy like humour (which i find amusing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

I've been waiting since about Feb for this film and it is all it could have been!
    River kicks ass!
    I took my friend who isn't into sci-fi at all and she came out wanting to see firefly cuz the film was so good=)
    Lets hope for a sequal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Saw it this evening and really enjoyed it. As munky said, it was as good as it could have been.

I saw the trailers for the film and it peaked my interest, so I got the series and loved it. The film brings nice closure to the main story arc of the series.

Apparently the box office return has been relatively disappointing in the states. Shame really. Serenity is a extremely well executed sci-fi film. There has been so much tripe in this genre for so long (just think of most of the comic book spin-offs of late). This film is fresh, funny, fun and has what most sci-fi films lack - good characters with depth backed up by sharp well written dialogue.

It's not above "awesome effects", that got old long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Apparently the box office return has been relatively disappointing in the states

It was a soft opening w/e alright, dropped 50% in week two. Still though it's nearly made half its budget back, and with worldwide totals it'll easily turn a profit in cinemas. I think the DVD will sell well if the Firefly set is anything to go by. :p

The trailers and TV spots were horrid though. I saw the film in August @ the preview in Cineworld and I hadn't seen the trailer or anything until recently, but I don't think they make the film look appealing to non-fans at all. Lots of contextless 'funny' bits, which if you don't know the characters, aren't going to be funny.

Still a really good movie though, hopefully Universal will greenlight a sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i've been desperately trying to convince my mates to go and see it. They've all seen the trailer and thought "em...No thanks".

Just went and bought the series boxset at play.com. It is quite high up in all the dvd sales lists so hopefully the increased sales will convince the powers that be to doi another series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RuggieBear wrote:
    Just went and bought the series boxset at play.com. It is quite high up in all the dvd sales lists so hopefully the increased sales will convince the powers that be to doi another series
    Ah crap Ruggie... you should have bought it from CDWOW!

Only €25 on there right now!

PS - Joss has pretty much ruled out another TV series. It was rumoured that Alan Tudyk (who played Wash) let slip in an interview that it was part of a 3 picture deal with Universal. But don't know if it's been confirmed!

basquille wrote:
    Ah crap Ruggie... you should have bought it from CDWOW!

Only €25 on there right now!

Ah crap is right!!!!!!

i did look on cdwow for it but i couldn't find it so i went to play and got it for 45euro instead :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

RuggieBear wrote:

Ah crap is right!!!!!!

i did look on cdwow for it but i couldn't find it so i went to play and got it for 45euro instead :rolleyes:
    You could probably still cancel your Play.com order!

basquille wrote:
    You could probably still cancel your Play.com order!

doubt it. got an email this afternoon saying it had been posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

This makes how many Serenity threads on various parts of boards now?

Not that I'm complaining of course, the more Serenity the better :)

I've a question; at the start of the film
    we see Simon inject Mal with something or other. Is this ever explained in the film? I've read that this is explained in the script (but I'm still waiting on my visual companion thingy so can't check the script yet). That they all need to be innocluated when landing on the planet. Was this mentioned in the film itself? I can't have missed it, can I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Fence wrote:
    I've a question; at the start of the film
    we see Simon inject Mal with something or other. Is this ever explained in the film? I've read that this is explained in the script (but I'm still waiting on my visual companion thingy so can't check the script yet). That they all need to be innocluated when landing on the planet. Was this mentioned in the film itself? I can't have missed it, can I?

Yeah, its not explaned in the movie, however on the website it is. Its a immune boster type thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

Firefly is on sale in HMV in Blanch for E29.99, i too paid E49.99 for it but what the hell, it was worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now, all I need is for the networks to bring back Nowhere Man and Millenium and all is forgiven, reckon I was the only person to watch Nowhere Man, one of Chris Carters finest, killed off after 1 series but excellent paranoid tv.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    reckon I was the only person to watch Nowhere Man, one of Chris Carters finest, killed off after 1 series but excellent paranoid tv.
    I watched "Nowhere Man" and my cousins have given me a copy of the show.

FYI though, it wasn't Christ Carter's show. The only connection was that both shows had music by Mark Snow, who worked on 'Millennium' as well.

sutty wrote:
    Yeah, its not explaned in the movie, however on the website it is. Its a immune boster type thingy.

Actually, on my last viewing I picked up on it. Mal does say something to the effect that he is due to be innocked. It is right at the start of his and Simon's scene and very easy to miss

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I saw the film, and enjoyed it. A downside was I did not see the prior TV series so alot of backstory missing (I did later order it from play.com<still has not come :( > ).

Is this due to be a the first part of a trilogy or has Serenity pretty much wrapped up all existing threads?

*spoiler*

"I am a leaf on the wind, whatch how I "SPLAT...
    So disturbing, but so brilliant!
    I can beleived he kill Book AND Wash,its just not fair!

• Advertisement

Way to go with the spoiler warning, please edit or delete the above post before he ruins the film on someone who has not seen it, I know he is new but really, moderator, help me out here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Manach wrote:
    I saw the film, and enjoyed it. A downside was I did not see the prior TV series so alot of backstory missing (I did later order it from play.com<still has not come :( > ).

Is this due to be a the first part of a trilogy or has Serenity pretty much wrapped up all existing threads?

It pretty much wraps up the main story arc from the series - the Alliance chasing River and Simon. Although there is room to manouvre if further sequels are made.

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Way to go with the spoiler warning, please edit or delete the above post before he ruins the film on someone who has not seen it, I know he is new but really, moderator, help me out here!
    What!I said It was a spoiler!If ya haven't seen the film scroll past.
    This is a forum for talking about the film is it not?
    Are we suppposed to restain ourselves to sayin"Oh its great....."And not discuss the pro/cons high/low points of the film!?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

munky wrote:
    What!I said It was a spoiler!If ya haven't seen the film scroll past.
    This is a forum for talking about the film is it not?
    Are we suppposed to restain ourselves to sayin"Oh its great....."And not discuss the pro/cons high/low points of the film!?
    Don't be cheeky. What you're supposed to do, like everyone else, is use a spoiler tag. What you did wasn't sufficient and, were it my forum, I'd have edited your post and done the appropriate work. Do not assume people won't see your "spoiler", given it was only a few lines below your actual post. I've worked boards for years, and newsgroups for years before that, and nowhere would what you placed be considered good enough spoiler coverage.

How do you use a spoiler tag then, I hear you plead? Simple enough. In your post type [ spoiler] place your spoiler in here [/spoiler] and you're sorted (just leave out the space between the [ and spoiler in the first tag. Then people have to highlight the text to see it and can't see it naturally.

Thank you, I didn't mean you any disrespect there munky, just if you aren't told these things whats to stop you inadvertantly destroying someone elses enjoyment of a film, we all have to learn somewhere. please remember no offence was meant and a little constructive critisism goes along way.

You are right though it is great that there are things that take even the hardened fans surprised.

Manach wrote:

Not even half of the threads, but still no news on whether or not we get a sequel. Depends on the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Serenity doesn't wrap up all threads, but it does give a satisfying feeling of closure, compared to the last episode of Firefly which really left things dangling. Sequel prospects currently look dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Now now kids play nice or I'll rip your heads off ^_^

spoiler tags added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Julesong

Fence wrote:
    Actually, on my last viewing I picked up on it. Mal does say something to the effect that he is due to be innocked. It is right at the start of his and Simon's scene and very easy to miss

Nice to finally see a post about this somewhere - I'd been wondering this for quite some time. I'll have to look for it during that scene at my next viewing.

I'm curious as to where on what other site it was mentioned it was an innoculation?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Julesong wrote:
    Nice to finally see a post about this somewhere - I'd been wondering this for quite some time. I'll have to look for it during that scene at my next viewing.

I'm curious as to where on what other site it was mentioned it was an innoculation?

Thanks in advance!

Excuse me what are you talking about.

Advertisement