Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which iPod?

Options
  • 08-10-2005 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a dilemma over which iPod to get next week. I was completely on for getting a nano until I started reading about scratches and cracks and now I dont know weather to go for the Nano or the 20Gb colour normal one. So Im asking for some advice from people that has either. And I know a lot off people hate the iPod and will say to get a sony or an iRiver or something else but I have to say Apples marketing department has made me their bitch. I want an iPod and nothing else will do. Unless you know of something that you genuinely think is better looking than the Nano.

Which do you prefear 35 votes

iPod Nano
    0% 0 votes
    iPod Normal 20Gb Colour
    42% 15 votes
    I hate iPods
    57% 20 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Nano's are cool, but as you said with the problems and defects, I wouldn't get one just yer. Why not get a normal iPod, a 20 or 40gb one?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wait a week, there are rumours of apple releasing a 5th gen ipod. make your decision then.

also be prepared for the iriver/creative comments as they are genuninely better players in my books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have a 20 gig and have no problems with it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Get a PSP with a 1gb memory card. At least then you have a games machine that can store music and play games too.

It'll cost you less than a 20Gb Ipod too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Lemlin wrote:
    Get a PSP with a 1gb memory card. At least then you have a games machine that can store music and play games too.

yeah but its massive, and 1Gb is a lot less storage than 20Gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

I had a 10 gig for nearly two years and it never gave me a bit of trouble apart from the battery eventually dying (a new one cost me €10). I then got a Nano when they came out and i have to say the thing is fantastic. I can't overstate how small and light it is, for example i once dropped it out of my hand and it just swung from the one apple headphone i had in my ear. I've had absolutely no trouble with mine, it's a joy to use and i'd definitely reccomend it. Remember you get a 1 year warranty so apple will replace it if anything goes wrong

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i'm a seasoned ipod hater...but those nanos are pretty nifty...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

yeah but its massive, and 1Gb is a lot less storage than 20Gb

Yep, but you're getting alot more for your money. 1Gb will fit a good 100 songs and a movie. Who wants 20,000 songs at one time anyway?

Just rotate the songs on your 1Gb memory card and change them around. Then you have the added value of being able to play games like Wipeout, store camera pics and flick through them and watch movies.

I would never touch an Ipod after working in a retailer that sells them. At the minute, I can see five that have been returned, and that's since Wednesday. Not worth the bother at all.

Meh, if i was looking for a MP3 player i wouldnt consider a PSP....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Lemlin wrote:
    Yep, but you're getting alot more for your money. 1Gb will fit a good 100 songs and a movie. Who wants 20,000 songs at one time anyway?

Just rotate the songs on your 1Gb memory card and change them around. Then you have the added value of being able to play games like Wipeout, store camera pics and flick through them and watch movies.

I would never touch an Ipod after working in a retailer that sells them. At the minute, I can see five that have been returned, and that's since Wednesday. Not worth the bother at all.

But I'd never know what tunes I might want to listen to if I'm away for a while so prefer to have all my tunes with me than have to mess about with switching tunes around all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

you'd probebly get a more balanced opinion on the gadgets forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'd say wait a couple of weeks and see what the 5th generation brings. As for the Nano scrathes, if they come out like the rest of ipod scratches do then there shouldnt be a problem. (Apparently brasso does the trick)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://www.darkplanets.co.uk/datel-4gb-harddrive.asp

psp > ipod if not before, definatly now.

€200 + €254 = €454, 20 iPod €300

20Gb > 4Gb

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Lemlin wrote:

I did consider that option but I already have a deposit on a XBox 360 and I have my PC here for gaming so Im not really that interested in the PSP
    I had a 10 gig for nearly two years and it never gave me a bit of trouble apart from the battery eventually dying (a new one cost me €10). I then got a Nano when they came out and i have to say the thing is fantastic. I can't overstate how small and light it is, for example i once dropped it out of my hand and it just swung from the one apple headphone i had in my ear. I've had absolutely no trouble with mine, it's a joy to use and i'd definitely reccomend it. Remember you get a 1 year warranty so apple will replace it if anything goes wrong

Thats the kinda stuff I wanna hear. I really love the look of the Nano but I dont want it to look like sh1t after a week. How is the scratch situation with yours.

Apple have apparently addressed the scratching problem. Its was a manufacturing error and only affected a small percentage of Nano's in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 robplant

Nano and 20G/60G are hardly comparable...One can hold your entire music collection (probably), the other can hold 500-1000 songs, and you'll have to decide what to load in and out all the time.

If 1000 songs IS your music collection then get a Nano (or anything else you like the colour of) but if its a portable music collection you're after then it just isn't an option, pretty and all as it may be.>

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Lemlin wrote:
    1Gb will fit a good 100 songs and a movie.
    First of all LOL! 100songs AND a movie?!! Okay..the songs would sound sh1t and what kind of movie is smaller than 400MB ffs??!! Get real my friend one or the other NEVER both.
    Screw the PSP. Big brick of a yoke and you obviously don't want to play some reject playstation 1.5 game which costs €40.
    Now I hate with a passion iPods and all that jazz but yeah the nano is cool. Light, TINY, portable and damn sexy looking.
    My advice wait until next week to hear if Apple announce a new iPod, if not buy the 4GB nano. You really DO NOT NEED 20GB. Most people with that memory only use max 400songs which is about 2-3GB. Go nano (although I hate iPods)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

LOL look at all the iPod haters on the poll :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I voted for the nano but wait until wednesday to see what apple announce. I have a 3rd generation ipod with about a year and a half. no problems. Strong machine, dropped it onto the road the other day and the music didnt even stop! (well the headphones came out but the music kept playing!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

irivers are better than ipods. you can store 20gb and it connects to your Pc just exact same as a memory stick so its so easy to switch music on and off it its just copy and paste - happy days. oh and it has radio, pictures etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 1234567890

The reason(s) i hate my ipod.

Itunes are not recognised by pretty much all the other media players. They are only ment to work in your ipod or itunes player. This means if you are like me and prefer another media player over the itunes player, you will have to have both the .mp3/wma/etc. and the itune (.m4a). Straight away we are taking up twice the space on your hard drive. I have around 20gb of music on my comp. 40gb if i include itunes.

The battery on my ipod mini, which i got last christmas, now only lasts for about two and a half hours. (although i think they have better batteries now)

If you decide to stick with itunes and get rid of the .mp3s etc you'll have problems when you want to burn music onto a cd as most burners i've come across dont accept .m4a files as music files.

its very very very messy trying to give someone music thats on your ipod unless you just store it as a file.

The itunes player takes an unholy amount of time inporting songs and converting them to .m4a

most, if not all, have integrated batteries so when that starts to go (all batteries will after time) your left with not alot of choices

I would recommend getting an iriver as most computer stores do.
    -they hae a seperate battery if or when you need a new one
    -they play all sorts of different files (.mp3/wma/etc.)
    -they are user friendly
    -radio
    -picture veiwer
    -if you get the free upgrade patch you can watch videos on it
    -and i think they are slightly cheaper (not totally sure on that)

but if you do decide to get an ipod i'd advice you to go for a later model rather than a ipod nano etc. New products always end up with lots of flaws that they will fix over the next six months to a year. then they will release a more update version (better battery, screen, etc) the only difference being the version. the newest version of the ipod mini is supposed to be good along with the most updated version of the original.

hope that helps cause i spent ages typing! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

I have an ipod mini that i won with Walkers promotion :D But have Windows
    98 so had a great time getting it to work!
    Working fine now with no itunes on my pc.I use Realplayer for everything and
    its working great!

irivers are better than ipods. you can store 20gb and it connects to your Pc just exact same as a memory stick so its so easy to switch music on and off it its just copy and paste - happy days. oh and it has radio, pictures etc

An iPod shows up as a removable drive also...........

What are you talking about!?

iPods can play MP3 files, also iTunes imports any CD's into MP3's if you want it too along with about 5 other formats, i suggest you read the manual.

And the iPod mini no longer exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 1234567890

and just how sure are you that ipods play mp3 files? Unless this is a new upgrade that the ipod has, i think you'll find that you are wrong. ipods use a type of mpeg 4 audio file. plug in your ipod, go to the drive directory, make sure hidden files are being shown, then select music folder and you will find a whole load of folders name F01, F02, F03, and so on. if you check inside you will see that the file types in them are either .m4a or .mp4, or in other words, an itune.

hate to correct you again but ipod mini's still do exist. but now they are the later version which have a better battery and a 6gb hard drive. the colour is a little sharper too now!

lastly i never said itunes couldn't import a cd's music into its library in many different formats, i said if you are burning music to a cd using say roxio or nero, they, unless they have been upgraded since i last checked, will not support .m4a files :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

1234567890 you are right the iriver battery lasts ages you get an adapter with it to charge it or what I do is connect it thru my usb cable in work to my pc and it charges from that. Battery lasts absoloutely ages and the iriver only costs 350 approx for a 20gb. I just download music from allofmp3 and drop the songs in - very easy!

1234567890 wrote:
    and just how sure are you that ipods play mp3 files? Unless this is a new upgrade that the ipod has, i think you'll find that you are wrong. ipods use a type of mpeg 4 audio file. plug in your ipod, go to the drive directory, make sure hidden files are being shown, then select music folder and you will find a whole load of folders name F01, F02, F03, and so on. if you check inside you will see that the file types in them are either .m4a or .mp4, or in other words, an itune.

Ok i'll correct your "corrections"

See attatched pic of an iPod music file. Mote that it is indeed an MP3 file ripped from a CD. Not MP4. Also have a look at the Apple site in the tech specs and you'll find the supported formats

"AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Music Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, AIFF
    1234567890 wrote:
    hate to correct you again but ipod mini's still do exist. but now they are the later version which have a better battery and a 6gb hard drive. the colour is a little sharper too now!

Correct away! iPod minis have been discontinued by apple since the Nano hase been launched. Obviously they still exist as they dont self destruct when a new model comes out. Also they NEVER had a colour screen.
    1234567890 wrote:
    lastly i never said itunes couldn't import a cd's music into its library in many different formats, i said if you are burning music to a cd using say roxio or nero, they, unless they have been upgraded since i last checked, will not support .m4a files

Not necessary as itunes imports CD's in MP3 format......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Why would you want to get a Nano when you could get one of these, much more storage space and will play ogg too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pacifico wrote:
    An iPod shows up as a removable drive also...........
    Really? so you connect it, open up explorer and can drag and drop mp3 and other computer onto it? My mates are always moaning about not being able to share files. I got my mates iriver dragged files off and dropped onto mine, can you do that with an ipod?

Pacifico wrote:
    And the iPod mini no longer exists
    they can still be got new or second hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

As standard on an iPod the mp3 files are all stored in a hidden directory, so if you turn on 'show hidden directories' in Windows, yes, you can drag and drop whatever you like out. The files are renamed from what they were originally but the ID3 information is all intact and can be used by a multitude of utilities to automatically rename/organise the files. (There are also utilities that will extract the files for you, renaming using the ID3 as they go, and in the case of the Shuffle you can just drag-and-drop the files in explorer - there is a small perl script that updates the shuffle DB to make them play.)

Advertisement