Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT SIM Card (086) in a Meteor(085) ??

• 12-09-2001 7:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Anyone know whether I would be able to put an ESAT speakeasy SIM Card (086) into a Meteor Prepaid Phone (085) ??

I am lookin @ getting a Nokia 3310 on the cheap in college but its a meteor phone & I want to use my existing 086 number.

Anyone know if this is possible:confused:

thx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm in the same position. However, as far as I know, you will need a data cable and some dodgy software to flash your phone's memory and unlock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Stephen
    you will need a data cable and some dodgy software to flash your phone's memory and unlock it.

Wot do you mean "flash" your phones memory,
    & who does this kinda thang??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

"flash" i think means to make your phone usable by any sim card and not just meteor. you can do this easily by getting a data cable that connects to your Nokia 3310 to the PC. and by running certain software(dont know whats it called) you can unlock the phone for other sim use.

i had the same problem before when i got my new phone(prepaid) but wanted to use the same number i had before. cause of that, the sim had to be changed and the helpful guy in the mobile phone store just dialled up Esat Digiphone, did his magic and got an unlocking code for my phone. with that code i could "flash" or unlock the phone, without any cables, to be able to use the other sim (it was the same network but i still had to do it).

you can try that but im not sure how meteor would react to giving you a code so you can go back to one of their competitors. :) good luck

adnans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most operators generally require that you have spent at least £100 on credit top-ups before they will supply the phone's unlock code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Corko

What deal are you getting from Meteor? Would you use 2 phones until you could get the unblocking code? Are Esat offering upgrade packs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Originally posted by 80project.com

Wot do you mean "flash" your phones memory,
    & who does this kinda thang??

when you flash the memory in your phone (or any other memory, such as found in your computers bios) you are sending electronic signals that overwrite the existing data stored in your memory. (entering the unlock code is **not** fashing your phone) so i presume that with the mobile phones, the portion of the memory that executes the network locking feature is either disabled/removed/tricked into thinking the network unlock code has been entered. networks such as our three irish gsm networks lock the mobile telephone to their network, i.e, only sim cards of that network will function in that phone. this is done for an understandable reason: when we purchase a phone off the street in any of the mobile operator's reseller agents - or any other store - the prices are far lower that the actual cost of the phone, often up to £150. this difference is paid by the network operators as a subsidy to encourage us to buy one of their phones. (if the nokia 3310 cost £249 instead of £99 for most pre-paid packages, people would be allot less likely to buy it!!) anyway... the networks make back this cost in slightly increased telephone call costs. however, if a lot of us had our way, they would not see their subsidy money again, because we would be slipping it into the pockets of one of their rivals (which would be an extra kick in the balls) i know that esat will give you the unlock code for your phone if you request it in writing and after you top up your phone with £100! (i don't think so) i think the other operators do pretty much the same.

so... if your tired of your old phone or simply think it's time you get a smaller model to lessen the apparent and constant appearance of an erection when placed in your jeans pocket, you have two options. one is to buy an new pre-paid phone from your current network. the other is to buy a pre-paid phone from another network and using information from one of the many relevant sites, unlock it. basic info on doing so can be found here: http://www.gsmsecretsworld.com/engl/unlock.htm i find that http://mobile.box.sk/ is also quite a useful, no nonsense site.

anyway.. i rather just stick with the first option useless you're confident the second will work without fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Corko:
    Its a deal w/ AIB where you can get free Siemens M35 & £50 credit or a Nokia 3310 for £50 w/ £50credit.

All you have to do is open a student plus a/c or present your exisiting student plus details (as I did) @ the bank and they give you a form to take to any Carphone Warhouse to avail of the offer.

To everyone else thx so far...
    Any other contribs welcome as well
    thx:)

I think you only have to keep a Meteor phone for 6 months before they'll give you the unblocking key. I am not very sure of this however.

25p per minute is pretty expensive at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Most ppl that are gettting their hands on these AIB student offers are going to end up with two phones anyway (usually). I don't know too many students that don't have phones at this stage.

My friends up here now have a phone for ringing ppl and a phone for sending SMS ;)
    I think if you use a different company for a different time to make calls, you will save a packet.

;-phobos-)

Having 2 phones is not excessive.
    Ready to go charge 50p a minute during the day
    Speakeasy are similar

The speakeasy earlybird is 15p during the day & you could use the other phone at night.

I used always buy phonecards from GTS to make calls cheaply but the mobile phone companys clamped this out.

Payphones are still an option, when you are out & about

• Advertisement

Getting back to mobile phones – Speakeasy & Eircell can charge up to 50p per minute peak rate on their prepaid phones. Payphones usually eat money, if you are using them to make national calls. So if you are out & about and need to make calls to fixed line phones – one solution would be to open a prepaid account with a phone company such as Spirit or Esat home. Esat Home charge 22approx initial mobile phone surcharge & then I think it is 12p per minute peak. Spirit charge 5p per minute peak with a 20p per minute surcharge.

The Speakeasy Early bird rate of 15p is very good. But after 5pm – you calls cost 50p.

Another way to save money is instead of accessing your message box by keying in “121” or “171” – Dial your message box number (087)xxxxxxxxxxx or (086) xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a contract phone myself at the minute – upfront – It is ok. I don’t spend a lot on it. Esat would probably fold up – if they were relying on my business.

There are a few good sites regarding mobile phone charges:
    www.bestvalueireland.com
    www.b4ucall.com

On, the central query here on having 2 phones – I see much merit in this. But the practicality of it – I am unconvinced. But, Most people turn off their phones in the evening. It could work
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement