Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its all gone Pete Tong! (Scores)

• 08-10-2005 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

England 1-0 Austria

Even if they win - far from a certainty right now, England are a shambles again.

Beckham off after two quick yellows.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

More creative thread title than mine :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Apprarently Beckham has made history. First player to be sent off Twice for England.

Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The media over there will probably try to crucify the poor fella again now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

The most disappointing thing is that poor old becks is on fire at the mo with Real Madrid. The first to start the whingin will be the papers and in the morning well have good old Jimmy Hill whining about how beckham has ruined the england displinary record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The dutch are 2 up against the Czechs.
    Looks like England will qualify tonight as a 2nd best qualifier.
    At the end of the day, it looks nearly certain they've qualified...shambles or not.

• Advertisement

The dutch are 2 up against the Czechs.
    Looks like England will qualify tonight as a 2nd best qualifier.
    At the end of the day, it looks nearly certain they've qualified...shambles or not.

If only Ireland had been drawn into their joke of a group. Even after our piss poor performance tonight, I would of fancied us against Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria and Poland.

Heard Sven was booed off the pitch. I'd imagine he'll get the same reaction from the English press in the morning that Kerr will be getting from ours.

Lemlin wrote:
    I would of fancied us against Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria and Poland.
    I think many fancied us against Israel, France and Switzerland :rolleyes:

Lemlin wrote:
    If only Ireland had been drawn into their joke of a group. Even after our piss poor performance tonight, I would of fancied us against Wales, Northern Ireland, Austria and Poland.

Heard Sven was booed off the pitch. I'd imagine he'll get the same reaction from the English press in the morning that Kerr will be getting from ours.

You could put us in a group with NornIron, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein and we'd still find some way to make hard word of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

second Beckham yellow was a 'sniper from the stands' inscident, no way it warranted a yellow the Austrian player should have been booked for an academy award reaction.

Beckham is innocent.

Beckham got sent off because he fouled the same guy 3 times in about 5 minutes. He's a spiteful little git and the ref obviously thought so too.

I have to laugh at him when he chastises Rooney for his petulance considering he's 30 years old and acts nearly as immature himself.

• Advertisement

Well I didn't fancy us against Switzerland or France.

I think the days of easy games for Ireland have gone. Cyprus had two strikers playing tonight who are playing in the Champions League, the same amount of players that Ireland have in that competition.

Fact is that the days of Ireland going to places like Latvia, Lithuania and Cyprus and winning 5-0 are now long gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Holland beat the Czechs so England are through

Lemlin wrote:
    I think the days of easy games for Ireland have gone.
    Easy games are one thing, playing well is another.
    Maybe the days of playing well for Ireland have gone...
    This mightn't have been an easy game, but we simply played awful.
    We were as jammy as hell to come away with the win... all thanks to the God that is Shay Given.

Getting back to the thread topic though, It's full time between Holland and Czech - it's now official.
    England have qualified for the World Cup with a game to spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Heres hoping Poland spank them on Wednesday night and Magic scores a hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Doesnt matter now, England have at worst a best second place finish and are through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Which means they'll play well!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

worry about your own country on wednesday night :rolleyes:

I do and I still hope Poland spank them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yawn.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Just look at the last world cup, we were delighted with the draw when it was made but come June we were all talking about how it was a tough group. Even against Saudi Arabia we were worried about losing to a team who had been beaten 9-0 by Germany.

I don't know too many people who were worried about losing to Saudi. We knew they were there for the taking.

Yes, we've struggled in the past few years but in the early 90s 5-0 wins against the likes of Turkey and Latvia were a formality. That definitely sin't the case now.

Easy games are one thing, playing well is another.
    Maybe the days of playing well for Ireland have gone...
    This mightn't have been an easy game, but we simply played awful.
    We were as jammy as hell to come away with the win... all thanks to the God that is Shay Given.

Well they say its a great team that can play diabolically and still win. I hope that's the truth for Ireland but I'm not sure. I don't think Brian Kerr is the man to bring Ireland forward. Maybe Martin O'Neill is. One thing if for sure though, play like that again Wednesday and the Swiss will punish us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The overall standard of International football teams is becoming alot better. the likes of Israel, Turkey etc have come on leaps and bounds over the past ten years and games will always be alot more closer than they would have been ten years ago. Im not sure what the reason for this improvement is but there hs definitely been one.

The rapid improvement of their economy I'd imagine.

Lemlin wrote:
    The rapid improvement of their economy I'd imagine.
    I doubt it... look at South America and Africa. Nearly all economies in turmoil.
    It will help to some extent with training facilities etc..., but ultimately you need the interest in the sport.
    Probably more to the fact that soccer has gained in popularity and they now have a larger base of players to pick from.
    Expect China to be vying for the World Cup within 20 years.

Expect China to be vying for the World Cup within 20 years.

I seem to remember people saying in '94 that Nigeria would be vying for the World Cup by 2010!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Lemlin wrote:
    I seem to remember people saying in '94 that Nigeria would be vying for the World Cup by 2010!

Yeah, I remember Nigeria were touted for the World Cup in '98 when they beat Spain in the group stages, only to be beaten 4:1 by an average Denmark side in the next round. I don't think an African team has ever made it past the quarters but before every World Cup someone says 'This will be the year for the African teams'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,914 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think it was pele that said that Nigeria should be one of the favourites in USA '94 (along with Ireland, unbelievably enough). I think he gets paid to talk up little teams.

AFAIK, Irelands biggest win in qualifiers was 4-0 against lichtenstein, at home. Ireland have never ever been winning games 5-0 on a regular basis, and rarely ever, ever qualify for tournaments. I think '88 was our first tourny, and been in WC90,94,02 and no europeans since then, which makes it 4 from 9, since we actually started being able to qualify.

Also, remember, after WC02, and getting Russia and Swiss, most thought it would be a stroll, till after the first two matches. Also, we play Switzerland on wednesday, who outqualified us last tourny, and were one of the worst teams at the last euro's.

astrofool wrote:
    I think it was pele that said that Nigeria should be one of the favourites in USA '94 (along with Ireland, unbelievably enough). I think he gets paid to talk up little teams.

In fairness (and I am the last one to ever call us great but) Ireland were honestly one of the best teams in the World between 1990-1994. I'm sure if we had played the WC in cooler climate that year and Niall Quinn had been available then we would have made it to the semi's.
    astrofool wrote:
    AFAIK, Irelands biggest win in qualifiers was 4-0 against lichtenstein, at home. Ireland have never ever been winning games 5-0 on a regular basis, and rarely ever, ever qualify for tournaments.
    In the 80's we beat Malta 8-0 and Cyprus 6-0 but that was a different game back then. Some of the teams literally had no idea wrt tactics or organisation and cricket scores were the order of the day. Nowadays even the worst teams in UEFA are reasonably decent from a defensive pov.

Add to this that qualifiers are usually organised in pairs of games and that goal difference really doesn't matter anymore then I get the impression that teams really don't care about high scores against the minnows. Getting thru the game itself without bookings or injurys ..... and of course a win of any description is all that really matters anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I do and I still hope Poland spank them.

Christ man get over it......

Well done to England, they went out and won games, NI was only a minor slip up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Yeah, England have been very poor, but at least they have managed to beat every teams in their group at least once. It's quite likely they will top their group with 8 wins from 10 (I for one fancy them against Poland). And they think Sven is under pressure?

Christ man get over it......

Get over what exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Striker Michael Owen believes only Brazil are better equipped than England to lift the World Cup next summer.

Sven-Goran Eriksson's side booked their place at the finals with a 1-0 win over Austria on Saturday and face Poland on Wednesday needing to win to top their qualifying group.

Looking towards Germany 2006, Owen told The Sun: "We will go there with a squad that, apart from Brazil maybe, I am sure is not bettered.

"I would not settle for getting knocked out in the last four. The aim is certainly to get as far as the semi-finals - but it wouldn't stop there."

But Owen admits England must improve on their recent performances if they are to lift the World Cup.

In his column in The Times, Owen said: "There is no hiding the fact that we have been below par.

"The competitive results have been decent enough - seven wins, one draw, one loss.

"No-one can say we did not deserve to qualify, but I would say we have done 20% of the work towards lifting the trophy. The other 80 starts now.

"We have to get the confidence that has been missing in recent matches.

"We have to start playing like contenders for the World Cup."

The 25-year-old revealed Eriksson had addressed the squad, calling for them to rally together when things were going against the team and the Newcastle striker believed they displayed such team spirit and unity following David Beckham's sending off at Old Trafford.

Owen hopes Wednesday's game against Poland will herald the start of the desired improvement, saying: "We have been poor but I hope we can relax and play better football, starting on Wednesday against Poland."

This is why I hope England get stuffed on Wednesday!! I have never seen Brazil or any number of teams losing against NI and then after a worse display come out and say there are the second best squad in the World......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Get over what exactly?

You know what I am talking about.

Seeing as England have already qualified what is your reasons for hoping that 'Poland spank them' ?

I reckon there are 2

1. You have a undieing love for all things Polish
    2. Or you just like to see England loose no matter what the circumstances.

I'd say the latter is true, and if you ask me it's a pathetic, sad way to be.

They both have qualified, who give a s**t after that

You know what I am talking about.

Seeing as England have already qualified what is your reasons for hoping that 'Poland spank them' ?

I reckon there are 2

1. You have a undieing love for all things Polish
    2. Or you just like to see England loose no matter what the circumstances.

I'd say the latter is true, and if you ask me it's a pathetic, sad way to be.

When it comes to Poland v England at the moment, I will be hoping that Poland win as their striker and goalkeeper play for the club team I support.
    Why is it that you are offended that someone might want Poland to beat England? It is also nice to see the English press go into convulsions :)

C'mon Poland, get into this mob of overhyped chancers
    They both have qualified, who give a s**t after that

Obviously, you and I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Big Nelly wrote:

This is why I hope England get stuffed on Wednesday!! I have never seen Brazil or any number of teams losing against NI and then after a worse display come out and say there are the second best squad in the World......

[cough] The Sun [cough/]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,914 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Last world cup qualifying, Brazil only made it by the skin of their teeth (they went on to win it then).

Advertisement