Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyprus v Ireland (scores)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

KevIRL wrote:
    Am I right in thinking none of those teams have qualified before?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd keep Elliott in there. However I'd be tempted to drop Keane for Morrison tho. Morrison can score in big games (Swiss (A) , Russia (A) ) but Robbie has done f-all for us when it mattered since the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

ok in the first half we were playin the ball down the right wing where we have finnan.....
    and on the left theres duff with nothing to do, what the hell was that all about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Poor performance; good result.
    well said flukey!

1-0 good enuff.

Elliot should start ahead of Morrison (subbed later on) Elliot was the difference between the two teams.
    (some would say Given- i woudlnt argue >>>>>MOTM<<<<)
    Newcastle would be regulation candiates w/o him.

Finnan is a good player but was poor/isnt a winger, Duff did'nt seem to get into the game....may have been the fact that Ireland were guilty of holdin onto the 1-0 so attacking wasnt what they were tryin to do.
    thought Kavangh was ok. Kilbane gave 110% as usual, but did he contribute anything worthwhile to the result?

1-0 good enuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

France 1 Switzerland 0

• Advertisement

thats good better than 1-0 to the swiss!

spinalsly wrote:
    thats good better than 1-0 to the swiss!

Nope its not. 1-0 to the Swiss would give us a chance of winning the group if we had beaten the Swiss.
    As it is with France winning 1-0 we still have to beat the Swiss except its to finsih 2nd.

Isreal have gone 2 up against the Faroe's in the final minute. That leaves them on 18 points with all their games finished.

yes but that would only happen if we have higher goal diffrence and as far as i know ours isnt as good as swiss and france

spinalsly wrote:
    yes but that would only happen if we have higher goal diffrence and as far as i know ours isnt as good as swiss and france

Its just goal difference in the games between the 3 teams if they all finish level. What with all the draws etc, a 2 goal win would have been enough.

Doesnt really matter now though anyway lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I hate to disapoint evryone but israel are winning and france are winning. So if both teams win the Irish are finished.

Scratch that lads Ireland are now virtually out unless France lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

umm huh?

Israel win they go to 18 points.
    France and Swiss both on 16 points before this game.

All it means is that we have to beat the swiss aint it? :)

Sorry my most humble apologies I am really sorry I was reading the live score table on the planetfootball, I am truly sorry lads.

Sorry again Guys

Willem D

Sky have them marked down as them only having 14 points.

On a lighter Holland and Marco Van basten are throught Yay :).

WDK wrote:
    Sky have them marked down as them only having 14 points.

On a lighter Holland and Marco Van basten are throught Yay :).

England through also

Lol my mom is english , my dad is dutch so there are jubilations in my house. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Er, actually Israel have played a game more. Things are still grand. If Ireland beat Switzerland on Wednesday, we're still guaranteed a play-off place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

KevIRL wrote:
    England through also

best avoid Sky Sports News for the next 8 months so

I feel dirty because holland put England through.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

1-1 in the Swiss - France game now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

a snip from rte.ie news article...
    "Shay Given has warned his Ireland team-mates they must raise their level of performance against Switzerland on Wednesday after scraping a 1-0 victory in Cyprus."

He had a good right to rip the sheet out of the whole team after his top performance!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Holland look the absolute mutts nuts under Van Basten.

Mossy Monk wrote:

Not so good, it means that a draw for Switzerland will give them a certain second place. Could make it very difficult for us to break them down. (Would have been anyway in fairness)

The group of draws strikes again. The onyl game between the top four that hasnt finsihed level is Ireland V France.

kaids wrote:
    Holland look the absolute mutts nuts under Van Basten.

No doubt they will all be killing each other by the time the World Cup comes around ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Mossy Monk wrote:

All over. We could top the group now if we beat Switzerland and France don't beat Cyprus. Unlikely though...

This is much changed dutch team since the days of Advocaat and hiddink , its a pure youth team, commaradery is excellent currently.

Yeah and if my Uncle wore a dress he'd be my aunt :rolleyes:

Switzerland showed tonight that they are a better team that us and we're going to have a tough job beating them on Wednesday. They did exactly what we couldn't against France last month and showed they had a bit of bottle within them equalising after going 1-0 down. They are better organised that us and know what they are all about better than us. Honestly I am concerned now. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

you will make me the pleasure to beat swissland please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Big sigh! wife thought I had parkinson's disease tonight as my head didnt stop shaking.

As said before I suppose poor performance,good result.Roll on wednesday and lets see how the cookie crumbles.

will roy keane play wednesday?

No he won't. Not that he'd make any difference imho.

Pigman II wrote:
    No he won't. Not that he'd make any difference imho.

come on! a guy with his experience!

i'm depressed. we will have to wait the last match once again.

for the swiss. you have to take care of a guy called "magnin" he is very good.
    they are very athletic and do have a good circulation of ball. they make amazing pressing in the midfield. makelele got a yellow.
    they scored an a free kick which has been deflected unfortunately by thuram.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

The Swiss are a better team. Frankly it would be an injustice if we went through instead of them but hey I'm Irish so I have to shout for us even though the chances of actually doing anything decent in Germany would be pretty low.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Swiss are a marginally better 'team' with inferior players. Neither they nor us are any great shakes, and neither are particularily 'deserving' of getting through. Infact none of the teams in this group have been in any way impressive and I will be very surprised if any of them do anything at the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wes Houlihan for Ireland. NOW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

didnt see the game, from what i hear we were awful. but i dont care. im just glad that we have made it to the swiss game with hope of qualification. fears of a macedonia were running through my mind all week. to bow out to cyprus would have been horrible. this really has been a group we could have, perhaps should have won. a we deserve this playoff with the swiss at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Pigman II wrote:
    Honestly I am concerned now. :(
    Only concerned now?

Didnt enjoy the match at all, after the 7th minute.....my hope is that duffer is A OK for wednesday, and have him and A.Reid on from the start. I think Josh is better in midfield, its my own opinion - i might be the only person who hopes he plays centre mid :eek: with whoever else.

Everyone has given up on robbie now, i still think he is good enough to start - certainly better than Clint the pimp and Elliot. He has brought Spurs back on 2 occasions this season so far, to get a draw. So maybe we should go for the 2nd half sub :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I watched the Swi v Fra game and I have to say I was very impressed by Switzerland: strong, organised, fast.

I really cannot see us beating them on Wednesday :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

All I can say is that we were bloody awful last night and we looked like rubbish team and not Cyprus. Thank god for Given he was simply fantastic ast night and deserved MOTM but the fact that he got it shows how bad we played. I mean we were playing Cyprus ffs and we couldnt string a couple of passes together. The defence was a shambles, the midfield non existent to the extent of me struggling to remember when Kilbane touched the ball. Slight improvement in the second half because of the subs we made but still terrible stuff.

Now you all know at this stage I hate Kerrs guts and yet again I think his defensive mindedness came into play again as we sta back on a one goal lead after 6 minutes! I mean we were playing a much inferior team and if we pushed on surely we could have gotten the second and save all of us the tension we had to endure. For once though im not blaming Kerr for the terrible performance because the players we were just terrible. I struggle to think of a time Ireland have played so badly. Bloody terrible and if we play like that on Wednesday we will be murdered.

I watched the Swiss playing France and they looked very good. Strong at the back and well organised and they can create chances. Good at set pieces as well which is a worry. Kerr has a few days to sort something out because if we dont have a serious improvement its just not gonna happen. I for one am definitely not optimistic about our chances

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Players that should not play for Ireland after that debacle!

Cunningham - awful
    O'Shea - worse
    Finnan(maybe at RB but not midfield)
    Kavanagh - at one stage he kicked fresh air
    Kilbane - headless chicken

Other who were awful but deserve a second chance
    Duff
    Dunne(only because there is no-one else)
    Robbie Keane - He "can" be good enough
    Carr - best of the defence but gave us nothing going forward

Only Given,Elliot and Stepehn Reid can be happy
    Cyprus deserved to win this match - had by far more of the possession and created far more than us. If we had done the same vs someone like France it would have been a travesty to lose.

Like it or not it might be a blessing in disguise not to qualify - we are simply not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We're not good enough, is that so?
    If we beat the Switz we are good enough, as we will be there.
    So the **** what, we only 1-0 vs. Cyprus.

I could not give a **** how we played one we won.
    We played great vs. the French for a lot of the game, and we lost.
    All that matters is points, thats all, nothing else does.
    Winning is absolutely everything.

TheMonster could you please list for me the replacement players for the following:

Cunningham -
    O'Shea -
    Finnan -
    Kavanagh -
    Kilbane -

As for people saying Carr is a better player than FInnan.
    I'd ask you to name the two people in the Irish squad who have won a champions league medal.
    Finnan is a top top class RB, Carr is good at best.

All these great chances that Cyprus had, could you plaese show them to me.
    I counted the peno, just one.
    The rest were long range shots and half chances in a scrappy mess, every one of which was dealt with.

We won, that is enough.
    Despite what anyone says, we are in the best position to quality as we ever have been.
    The swiss drew with a much much weakened French team from the team that played us.
    We are playing a team we drew with away, at home.
    Landsdowne road will be absolutely electric, as everything is at stake.
    Given is a one man defense, and we have magic men up front.
    Have faith, we are strong favorites to go through, and we will go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

We will go through....we will go through!!

Just out of curiosity, what are the chances that we could be in the same group as Engerland if we go through??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Just out of curiosity, what are the chances that we could be in the same group as Engerland if we go through??

Jesus, worry about getting there first! At the moment they're one in a million!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

We came, we saw, we barely conquered. The early goal was a godsend at the time, coming out of nothing really, good hassling from Robbie and eagerness by Elliot, but as they say, goals change games.

And so it was, the Cyprus team really upped their work rate and went at us. Our midfield was very weak, neither Kavanagh nor Kilbane seemed to want to get a foot in. Kilbane I thought was the worst player on the pitch. Finnan, who is a RB stayed out too far on the right in midfield. The lack of cover allowed Cyprus at times to walk right through us and show how inept Dunne can be at times under pressure, and Cunningham was left to do a lot of work and barely held his fort at times. O'Shea had a mightmare for him at LB and Kerr must wonder whether he will play him there again. A penalty eventually came, and it was deserved, Dunne had no quibbles as he caught him late in the box. Given, what a brilliant save from him, saved our bacon, and maybe that of Kerr.

Going forward we didnt have much, because we kept giving away posession very very cheaply. Duff was doubly marked as usual and created little from his side. Ireland created little going forward in the 1st half. But we need to recognise the immense work rate the Cypriots put into this game.

To be fair to Kerr, he waited until half-time before changing things around. Rather than take Kilbane off though, he took off Finnan, who was ineffective but at the same time was not a hole in the protection. Holland came on, and the many on this forum that think he is no good may now realise his worth. He really helped to stem the flow and to get the momentum in the match going the other way. The 2nd hald was much better, and although there were a few potential scares at the end. We scraped the win 0-1.

Kerr will have a lot on his mind. The Swiss put in another good display against France, but they are beatable, and thats wll we need to get to a play-off place.

There is sometimes a thin line between success and failure. Given wont be able to save us every day. He is due a blip at some stage. Morrison being back may help, but probably not much. Midfield is a problem and I think Kibane will have to be dropped, and instead play S Reid from the start, who plays well at international level these days as he did yesterday.

The game on Wed may not be pretty, a few nails may have to be eaten, time will tell, it could grind out to a 0-0.

Everthing is in our hands though, so we will get what we deserve come what may.

The play-off matches though could be our achiles heel as there are no easy teams (like Cyprus !!!) to meet.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

That performance from Ireland was yet another example of Brian Kerr is completely and utterly inept as Ireland manager.

To Kerr's credit we are consistent...... consistently putting in lame and lackluster performances which will get Irish soccer absolutely nowhere. Yes we won.... abliet being outplayed by an awful Cyprus side who have amassed an impressive 4 points from nine games. We fluked it last night, we were negative again and if it wasn't for Shay Given we would be here talking about Ireland's exit from right here right now. Four years ago we came to play Cyprus away in a world cup qualifier aswell...... that night we outplayed Cyprus with an easy 4-0 victory. Cypriot football has not progressed since then so if that isn't another example of how Ireland have slided backwards under Kerr then I don't know what is.

Bottom line is we will not get anything against Switzerland.... if we do it will be either a fluke yet again or undeserved. I'm sad to admit that it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose or draw against the Swiss because Kerr will be gone and Irish football can flourish again under a positive manager who knows what he is doing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I'm sad to admit that it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose or draw against the Swiss because Kerr will be gone and Irish football can flourish again under a positive manager who knows what he is doing.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Bottom line is we will not get anything against Switzerland....

The song Toca's Miracle comes to mind at the minute when I think of our chances of beating Switzerland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's funny - paddy power have us as clear favorites to win (4/5 last time I checked.) Switzerland are 10/3! That is an excellent bet. Under 2.5 goals is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd be more inclined to stick money on a draw. What are the odds on that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement