Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD - Rs for audio

• 12-09-2001 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

I was just wondering whats the best cdr to burn music onto which will work on hi-fis and protable discmans. I have tried Mr data 80min cdrs and they work on hifi s but not on discmans. Is it the type of cdr be it 80 or 74 min, in that some cd players cant read 80min ?? or is it the make of cd like mr data or verbatim etc??

thanks . Hertz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

AFAIK, Its not solely dependant on the brand of Cd you are using but on the cd player itself. Most new models of HIFI's or portable discmans can play all CD'Rs & CD-RW's.

Whereas some of the older HIFI's etc will not recognise these CD's.

Are you sure you're not using CD-RW's because only the very new cd-players will play these.
    For instance- I have a JVC hifi from about 5 years back that will not play CD-RW's but the Sanyo Stereo I bought a few months back does. Take a look @ your equipment specs before you burn your next cd as that may be where the problem lies;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Also, some CD players won't be able to read 80 minute CDs and some will. Try burning 74min CDs for your discman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

ive never had any probs using 80 min cd's on any cd players, disc mans, even play stations and they were mr datd cd's
    ive never seen a cd player that plays cd-rw's either so :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

My (cheap) Philips hifi plays CDRW's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

Yeah, my discman will run 74min cdrs so it is the type of cd then??

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

I buy them 50(80mins) vivastar cds in Argos, for £25, they seem to work OK..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There was a thing relating to CD ROM drives (as in PCs). only a 8x+ (maybe it was a 16X+) can read CDRWs, something about only 4x+ could read CDRs (though this was probably more to do with thefirmware or something then the rotation speed).
    The CDRWs are harder top read and so the error checking on CDs needs longer to read em, and since normal audio CDs are ment o play at 1x they can't read em. I imagine that new HiFis/Players etc. have some sort of advanced reading thing? or jsut spin a bit faster? Also, I don't think CD walkmen would have it, usually takes them longer to minituraize the methdos.

About 80Min CDs, how is the extra 50Mbs/6mins put on? are the pits and Lands smaller or something? squashed slightly tighter together?
    I've also ehard of 90 and 99min CDs, and overburning.
    Could someone explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

AFAIK the spirals are slightly tighter, therefore the actual tracks slightly thinner, so some players can have problems reading them. You can find all sorts of documentation online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Originally posted by popinfresh
    I buy them 50(80mins) vivastar cds in Argos, for £25, they seem to work OK..
    i wouldnt use those cdr if i was you cus they get damaged very ezely i backed up some data on them and after some use they wont read in my cd rom i would recomend kodac gold cdrs or mr data cdrs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

ive seen probs with 80 min cd's but thats only with reely old cd players . use memorix ( think ive spelt it right ) ive been using them for ages ( dont get the ones that are made for music ) and have to find a cd player they dont work well in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

use nerop and pefect the hiss reduction feature ;)

Advertisement