Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

head phones

Options
  • 08-10-2005 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

quick question! i just want to know what the best in-ear head phones are? as regards durability, sound quality etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Riveta wrote:
    quick question! i just want to know what the best in-ear head phones are? as regards durability, sound quality etc?

How much are you prepared to spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

really doesn't matter just want the best really!

Good man;) I have a pair of the Sure E4c's (the black ones) myself, they are pretty cool, cost me about €165 after shipping and everything else. They were the best in my price range anyway. If you're prepared to spend anything, I'd recommend going to www.head-fi.org and starting a post just asking what are the best in ear phones that money can buy. Let me know what you go for anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Riveta wrote:
    You wont be saying that after visiting headfi, they can cost 1000's!
    I have the step down from cormie, shure E3C's, one of the best things I ever bought. €120 delivered on ebay. Got the E2Cs €70 delivered on ebay as a present.

People would think nothing of paying €100+ for speakers, I listen to my mp3 player a lot more than the stereo, quality is amazing, it is only when you go back to normal headphones that you notice the difference.

shures have a 2 year warranty, and I think if they break after that you can get replacements for $50 (e3c). one way would be to buy a damaged pair on ebay for cheap and return them, I reckon very few people know about the $50 thing. I'd email shure before doing it to make sure.

• Advertisement

It's sweet having such a nice pair, I'm just scared ****less using them, especially in my furniture design classroom, allot of scary tools that they could get caught in. Spending so much on a big hobby (music) is seen as mental but yeah, people spend €150 on soccer boots, €500 on a graphics card, €60K on a car etc etc, €165 for such good headphones is nothing considering the amount of use I get out of them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Another Shure owner here :D

Got myself a pair of E3c a few weeks ago and absolutley love them. Cost about €120 overall, I was just short on buying a pair of E4c :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Another vote for Shure here. Got myself a pair of Shure E3's a month ago from earphonesolutions.com costing me €115 incl delivery but they were on special offer. Just had a look and they're gone back up in price but worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 006

What about headphones or earphones for $50 or $60 to buy in a shop?
    any suggestions appreciated!

006 wrote:
    What about headphones or earphones for $50 or $60 to buy in a shop?
    any suggestions appreciated!
    a bricks & mortar shop?
    I wouldnt recommend getting any high end stuff in a normal shop, the mark up is crazy. The shure E2C are €70 delivered online and €150 in peats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Riveta wrote:

Check out the Sony Fontopia ones. They go right into the ear and have flexible silicon surrounds which means that you don't hear anything else, and people can't hear what you are listening to either. I think they go for E40-50.

Not recommended for cyclists etc as they block out other sound so well, they would be somewhat of a hazard to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

eoin_s wrote:
    Check out the Sony Fontopia ones. They go right into the ear and have flexible silicon surrounds which means that you don't hear anything else, and people can't hear what you are listening to either. I think they go for E40-50.

Not recommended for cyclists etc as they block out other sound so well, they would be somewhat of a hazard to yourself.

Yeah those Sony's are great,have been using them for a few years now and cost no more than 40.They keep the sound in your ear so punters sitting beside you on the train don't have to listen to a tinny drum beat.Never tried out the Shures but by the sounds of things they seem to be the daddy.

I've had 3 pairs of the fontopias and they've all broken:(

I just hope my shures don't have the same faith!! I'll be like this :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jan_boersma

I'm really eager to get a pair of Shure e4c myself, to go with my new
    ipod, where did you buy them for €165 Cormie? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Thats expensive, mine were €120 delivered on ebay. That shop was the most expensive when I got mine.

I have the triple flange eartips on sale here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=316237

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Can you recomend a pair for about 40/50 online or in the shops?

for 40 or 50, I suppose the Sony Fontopias would suffice but seriously, if as stated above, you can get Shure E2's for €70 delivered, get them, only an extra €20 and they are way better than the Fontopias!

I got my E4's (Yes E4's, $300 on Shures site) for about €165 with an airline adaptor delivered, no import duties from www.earphonesolutions.com. Just email them and tell them you were talking to Cormac from Ireland who said you gave him a pair of Shure E4's with a free airline adaptor for $198 including shipping to Ireland and they should sort you out with the same deal. I got this price after a lot of price matching emails to various companies, including ebay sellers, this was the best offer and they got to me very quickly:) replied to my emails quickly too. Great service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Are the Shures ok for everyday use? Could I wear them to the gym without worrying about them falling out of my ears or breaking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I wear my E3c everyday and they have never fallen out. The way they wrap around the ear means if they do slip out, they don't fall and any pulling on the wire is absorbed by your ears.

• Advertisement

They sound like the most incredible things ever!! I have become disallusioned with my ipod headphones... Dont shun me:D

that's them alright hunter but as far as I know, amazon.com wont ship electronic goods abroad. Try earphonesolutions.com idealsound(s??).com(??) and ebay in general to see what you can find:)

I wanna get them for xmas and im getting a whole shipment of stuff from amazon delivered to my freind in Boston before she comes home so they are perfect!!

Good stuff:) Enjoy them and wear them with pride:D you say your using the included iPod earphones at the moment, these are a BIG step up, I went from Fontopias to E4's, big difference but from iPod earphones the difference will be gigantic:) you'll be able to save a bit on battery life too as you don't need it half as loud.

The Shures sound great but might be a little out of my budget.

Anyone think these Fontopias would be any good? They're replacing Apple headphones so I presume anything will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

amazon.com wont ship electronics outside the us unfortunately. you can get those lots of places for cheap. i've got a set of sony mdr ex71 and they work great with my shuffle but i'm definitely getting a set of ec3's. from all i've read of them they sound amazing !!!

I'm in the US for the year. Cheap electronics for me :D

Actually these Sennheisers are only $9 compared to the Fontopias for $30. Are they really worth the extra cash as ipod replacement headphones?

• Advertisement

The Sennheisers aren't "in ear" though. I think in ear phones are the best. I wouldn't say the Senns would be much different from the ipod comfort wise but the Fontopias/Shure will be. I haven't used the 71SL, just the 71XLs.

Advertisement