Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What results do Ireland need to qualify for the WOrld Cup?

• 08-10-2005 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

do we want france to win tonight, when are israel playing etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Win for france or a draw is what we need ,

And then obviously we must beat switzerland wednesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sandals wrote:
    do we want france to win tonight, when are israel playing etc.

Well if the Swiss beat France then to top the group we must beat the Swiss by more than they beat France.

eg. Switzerland beat France by a goal - we must beat the Swiss by 2 goals and we will qualify automatically. (not likely in fairness)

Isreal are playing The Faroes in their last match right now. Leading one nil. Assuming they win it will take them to 18 points. (2 pts ahead of us)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

if we come second what happens? are we in a playoff? for definite?
    do any 3rd placers go in the playoff?

Sandals wrote:
    if we come second what happens? are we in a playoff? for definite?
    do any 3rd placers go in the playoff?

No 3rd placers go into a playoff.

1 or 2 of the second place teams qualify automatically, but Ireland if they come second will not be one of them, we dont have enough points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

smart man, thanks.

• Advertisement

Sandals wrote:
    smart man, thanks.

Its 0-0 in the Swiss-France game at half time. And isreal lead The Faroes 1-0 with about 10 mins to go. If the games stay the same it leave things as follows

Isreal ---- 18pts
    Swiss ---- 17pts
    France --- 17pts
    Ireland---- 16pts

with 2 games left on Wednesday. France V Cyprus in Paris and Ireland V Switzerland in Dublin.

France would defintitely win and top the group. We would have to beat the Swiss to get second.

France have just gone one up against the Swiss, Cisse. So it looks like they are as good as through.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

The way it is now at 1 -1, what does that mean for Ireland?

The way it is now at 1 -1, what does that mean for Ireland?

No Difference. It means Isreal are all but gone (unless Ireland beat the Swiss and Cyprus beat France)

Group is
    Isreal 18pts
    Swiss 17pts
    Fra 17pts
    Ire 16pts

France will beat Cyprus at home and finish on 20 points. If Switzerland beat us then they top the group. The only slight diff the 1-1 score tonight makes is that a draw against us will now be enough for the Swiss to take second place in the group. Could make it a bit harder for Ireland to break their defence down

Its plain and simple for Ireland now. Win and we get second. Draw or lose and we get nowt.
    (course if we win and Cyprus win then we top the group - but that wont happen!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

You can take it as read that we must win on Wednesday to make the play-off places. We realistically cannot win the group at this point and a draw v Swiss will more or less guarentee us 4th place in the group .... which is all we deserve tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If Switzerland beat us then they top the group.
    How is that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Goal difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Wow so complex....... :rolleyes:

Who gives a fúck what the Swiss need tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

We beat the Swiss and France lose to Cyprus.... what odds I wonder.

About the same as Ludovic Magnin being voted worlds most handsome man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Surely we only need Cyprus to draw with France to have any chance of toppng the group. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Pigman II wrote:
    About the same as Ludovic Magnin being voted worlds most handsome man.

Me opens http://images.google.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SofaKing wrote:
    Surely we only need Cyprus to draw with France to have any chance of toppng the group. :confused:

thats what i am seeing too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

SofaKing wrote:
    That's correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What a night that should be if we top the group!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What a night that should be if we top the group!!

Yeah but after last night's match I can't see France losing not Ireland winning next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If we beat the Swiss we are either coming 1st or 2nd
    Whether we are 1st or 2nd depends on Frances result

A draw or loss would see us first
    A win for france would see us come second.
    If they draw, Israel will take 2nd assuming we win
    If they lose, Israel will take second assuming we win

WE CANNOT QUALIFY IF WE DONT WIN

France draw with Cyrpus, I can't see it happening. Yes, Cyprus looked an alright side last night but that was only because Ireland were so terrible.

Any time the Ireland team managed to string a few passes together, they could of cut open the Cypriot defence. France will take those chance. I'd back them to win 2 or 3 nil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I cant see France not beating Cyprus as they are at home. Realistically we are looking at 2nd provided we win which after last nights performance isnt looking too likely tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

A thought just struck me (slightly off topic)

But weren't the teams in the groups of 7 teams at an unfair advantage with regard the 2 best 2nd placers, in that they would have been playing for more points having more games?

Or did I miss something?

I cant see France not beating Cyprus as they are at home. Realistically we are looking at 2nd provided we win which after last nights performance isnt looking too likely tbh

Come Wednesday night, if we have any remote chance of qualifying for the World Cup, I'll be a happy man. That'll be until I see the qualifier draw and we get the Czech Republic or some such superpower!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Neil3030 wrote:
    A thought just struck me (slightly off topic)

But weren't the teams in the groups of 7 teams at an unfair advantage with regard the 2 best 2nd placers, in that they would have been playing for more points having more games?

Or did I miss something?

in the larger groups the results against the bottom placed team are not counted...so basically 6points is deducted.

The way I see it the teams in the 7 team groups are actually at a DISADVANTAGE because not only do they have 2 more games to play but they are are also more or less expected to gain 6pts without gaining any real benefit from the achievement wrt to playoff minitable calculations.

If for example 2nd seed in a 7team group were to somehow drop 2 points against a 7th place team then they theoretically could lose out on a play-off place by coming 3rd even tho they might have had a better record in their 6games against the top 4 teams than another runner up in a six team group who never had to contend with a 7th seed 'banana skin' team to begin with.

Since the breakup of USSR and Yugoslavia UEFA have shown what utter muppets they are when it comes to organising qualifying groups. Uneven groupsizes is just another aspect of it.

I hate big qualifying groups (eg more than 5 teams) but I'd gladly put up with an 8team group right if it meant that everyone got a fairer qualifying challenge and we went back to the '1 and 2 past the post' system (ie an end to these pointless play-offs.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement