Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reyes

• 08-10-2005 10:36pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd make a topic on this guy as I've been so impressed by him lately, after a difficult season last time round. He's been Arsenal's one shining light in a pretty downbeat few months and earned a recall to the Spain national squad recently. I was watching the Spain - Belgium tonight, but switched off at half time. Reyes hadn't started, the Spanish attack consisted of Vicente, Torres, Raul and Joaquin. Spain were pretty poor and I lost interest after 45 mins. Apparently Reyes came on after 55 mins (for Vicente I think), and I read this about him on another forum:
    Wow!!

Reyes came on at half time and completely changed the game for Spain. Two assists in the space of 3 minutes, first was a superb 35 yard diagonal cross to Torres who volleyed extremely well. Second was a great burst down the left wing and again an inch perfect pass to Torres across the face of goal. Later he also put Raul through for a one-on-one with the keeper but he fluffed his chance.

Reyes continued his fine club form at International level, even did a few tricks and nutmegs near the end of the match.

With Henry out and Bergkamp and Pires continually diminishing, he's really assumed the mantle of being the main creative drive for Arsenal thus far. Given a free role to roam deep behind Van Persie or Ljungberg, he's been absolutely superb in nearly every game - incisive passing, vision, strength, great technique, dribbling, crossing. I think his stats thus far are a goal and 8 assists in 6, maybe 7, games. The only thing he's been missing is his finishing, though he's been unlucky to have hit the woodwork a few times and come across Maik Taylor playing the game of his life. There've also been games when Pires/Hleb/RVP/Ljungberg have played poorly and he's been literally Arsenal's entire attack - very Thierry Henry. The longer he keeps this form going the more I think he's the future of Arsenal's attack.

Anyway, enough gushing. Here's hoping the "Jose Antonio, Jose Antonio..." chants long continue, and that he has a happier winter this year.

Btw - anyone got the results of that old Saha/Parker/Reyes poll a few years back? ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Kaids, dont do that. For a minute there I just seen the title, and I thought it was about reyes picking up an injury or something...
    Nearly had a heartattakc that would've been us buried this season.
    Anyway back on topic, he really has improved, and his true talent is starting to shine through for Arsenal. After last year and all the transfer talk, I'm delighted he decided to stay, and everybody who tried to keep at Arsenal should get a pat on the back, because as you rightly said he will be the future of the Arsenal attack. The future looks good the future is Reyes, van Persie, Quincy and Lupoli.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Btw - anyone got the results of that old Saha/Parker/Reyes poll a few years back?

LOL i remember that one.

Saha was like the new Henry!! Arf :D

Reyes has indeed been outstanding for Arsenal alright. Needs to pick up some goals now to give his confidence a lift.

I firmly belive that pires is finished and Wenger knows this. Reyes has a chance to make that left wing of his his own for the next 5 years if he wishes and have Van Persie and Henry as the 2 strikers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

What about Quincy taking over from Pires? That guy is something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

jank wrote:
    LOL i remember that one.

Saha was like the new Henry!! Arf :D

Is that referring to him being a big game player like Henry ??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Quincy is a striker, not a winger.

Left-wing is definitely a position Reyes should look to make his own, as jank pointed out. Beginning of last season we played Percy out there, but he didn't look comfortable tbh. Reyes is the only obvious replacement for Pires, whenever he goes.

• Advertisement

Is that referring to him being a big game player like Henry ??

How many world cup/euro champs/ FA Cup/english prem medals does Saha have..........

Incidently who scored the winning goal against Ireland.....

Oh right! :rolleyes:

Back in your box Mister

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Aside from the Millenium Stadium, Henry's scored pretty much everywhere and against every big team, in big matches, so that's a non-starter.

Before a "big match" against Utd at Highbury in March 2004 this old chestnut was hauled up again, and what did Henry do? 35 yard rocket past Carroll.

F**k yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

jank wrote:
    Incidently who scored the winning goal against Ireland.....

Oh right! :rolleyes:

Back in your box Mister

Are you proud of that one Jank. I did'nt realise you sitting in the French end of Lansdowne that night ? :rolleyes:

Henry has consistently proven over the last number of years that he disappears in the big games. Where was he when Utd. were last in Highbury ??

s8n wrote:
    Are you proud of that one Jank. I did'nt realise you sitting in the French end of Lansdowne that night ? :rolleyes:

Henry has consistently proven over the last number of years that he disappears in the big games. Where was he when Utd. were last in Highbury ??

No I was sitting in the EL section of the ground and had a good view of the goal.
    Was it not a good goal? And yes Ill be there singing my heart out on Wednesday for Ireland so dont question where my loyalties lie.

I find it funny that a thread about Reyes has been Hijack by a disgruntled Saha fan trying to prove a point about Henry and then has more then "selective" memory about the good/bad games Henry play.

Oh didn't he get 2 assists in that game by the way :rolleyes:

Anyway back on topic please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Comparing Saha to Henry is like comparing a Fiesta to a Dodge Viper - it just isn't fair!

Anyway, on the topic, I didn't realise Reyes was that important for Arsenal.

I haven't seen many of their games this year though. Went to a pub in Sligo, The Brewery, to watch the Everton game and all they had on was Teletext, I couldn't believe it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Reyes seems to hold his ground better...I felt last season he was getting muscled off the ball way too easily (or hacked off the ball if you count the Man U match).

I still feel we need an out & out goal poacher though...Reyes puts in some good crosses, as does Bergy, but if Henry is out (and talk of a big bid in January), we're pretty blunt up front.

VanP's attitude worries me & I think Quincy needs a season before he can get a permanent berth...cracking player though.

Bring back Franny Jeffers, Wenger's "fox in the box"!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

ah I think Lupoli will be the new fox in the box, just needs a few games and a bit of time. We weill have to wait and see whether he gets his chance though, as has so often been the case in the past ie. bentley, thomas, and barrett to name but a few.

Lemlin wrote:
    Bring back Franny Jeffers, Wenger's "fox in the box"!!!

Personally i'd set the dogs on him :)

He'd feel at home

I'm glad Bentley didn't get his chance. He's playing pretty well on the right wing for Blackburn so far.

He's got a lot of talent....if they can control him, could be a great player for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Reyes has the potential still think he needs to bulk up a bit but has the pace

also needs to be roughened up and learn to take tackles but not from the Neville Sisters

He is defo up there and if the unspeakable happens and TH leaves he has the makings of a great striker

He's got a lot of talent....if they can control him, could be a great player for them

I reckon Hughes has what it takes. Bentley, Pedersen, Bellamy and Dickov looked like a fine attacking quartet in the Man Utd game.

Advertisement