Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Advice Please... Knife Opportunities

Options
  • 08-10-2005 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Right so - I'm currently Master Seargent rank, with 22K or so points and the only thing stopping me from advancing was three awards:-

Pistol Badge
    Knife Badge
    Explosives Badge

I took care of the pistol badge this evening (annoyingly it meant I had to lonewolf it so my actions didn't drag down any squads, but I got there in the end). :o

I'm just gonna logon now and take care of the C4 item - shouldn't be too hard to just play with one focus in mind... but I'm stumped for ideas about getting the required 5 knife kills in a round. I'm so used to leading squads and thinking about objectives, that this solo stuff is presenting a real challenge...so here comes the question...

Can anyone offer advice, guidence etc. on which maps, which tactics and positions will give me the best opportunities to get the required 5 knife kills. I'm sure someone has figured out the best spots, and hide holes on maps for this - so I'd really appreciate it if you can let me know.

I don't want any cheats :D - all my points and awards to date are genuine, but I would appreciate some pointers on where/how to get the required 5 knife kills in a single round.

Thanks in advance :cool:

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Snipers are knife gold.

Run around in the open. If someone starts shooting you try and spot where they are. Get killed or run away. Then sneak up on afformentioned sniper and stab him.

Death from above. Land behind people from rooftops and high walls. Those big walls in strike on karkand are nice.

Reload. Get into close combat and run around like a lunatic. When they run out of ammo from spraying away at you, run in with the knife.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For the knife I'd suggest the central island of Songhua, there's always someone who tries to setup sniping there, and they never listen for the sound of someone coming up behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i have all my badges, starting to get veteran badges now, but i still dont have that elusive rank :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Pongo

See, this is where I'm a bit iffy about the whole ranking/medals/stats thing....
    Fair enough, you're going for your knife badge, no problem with that, but realistically, while you're actively trying to get the knife badge, you're as much use as tits on a bull to your team, by your own admission you go lone wolf while trying to get it, which means that the person who's screaming for back up is ignored by you...

Realistically, the guy going for a particular badge only cares about that badge, and not the team... I can understand it, from the point of view of both sides, I'm just not sure it's a good thing, or that it adds anything at all to the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

It adds nothing to the game , but it is human nature to go for it . I don't have pistol,knife or explosives yet , and any time I think I might go for it this time , I get distracted by someone looking for support or defending a flag . I would only ever try it on 64 man servers where teamplay is gone out the window anyway , but even then I seem to lose interest in it before I can amass the score needed . I am at the next rank but won't get it till I get the pistol and knife , so I am sure human nature will push me towards going for it during the week .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I'll let you knife kill me 5 times in a round if you really want it.

I mean, who *wouldn't* want a bit flipped on some harddrive on some computer in EA's racks of servers.
    It makes a huge difference to my Quality of life...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    I'll let you knife kill me 5 times in a round if you really want it.

I mean, who *wouldn't* want a bit flipped on some harddrive on some computer in EA's racks of servers.
    It makes a huge difference to my Quality of life...
    Well said!!
    I couldnt give a toss about badges or whatnot.
    I bought the game for a great online gaming experience, and try to get a good squad campaign going.
    Running about chasing down your own goals just ruins it.
    Unless you show the badges to your parents, print them off and put them on the fridge for all to see, I'd leave it and get back to the fight soldier!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Yeah I don't really care about the badges, if I get one then great but If I don't who's gonna care ??. Certainly not me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

The c4 badge aint as easy as youd think to get. :( Unless you get a server full of plane or heli 'miners' then you just lay a few on blackhawks and planes and you'll have 13 c4 kills in no time. (Is really missing his pc :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Pyr0 wrote:
    Yeah I don't really care about the badges, if I get one then great but If I don't who's gonna care ??. Certainly not me anyway.

Lies if i ever heard them. :rolleyes:

Stat whore you are tbh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Shush you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Snipers are knife gold.

v true, run up to them and stab them in the bum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Speak to berns he got his knife badge some time ago, And he was always a knife whore.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

One of the guys in our clan got his veteran knife badge ( 293 knife kills).

He recommends the market place in Strike at Karkand, and Sharqui Peninsula.

If you follow people for a while ( people rarely look around them) you can get a knife kill.

Also, people tend to be a bit confused when you run up to them with a knife ( no visible weapon) they tend to stand and look at you while you knife them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

I got my Veteran without much trouble. Did it on the gulf of oman but that's probably not the best level for it...Go on Sharqi Penninsula and wait by that flag with the brick wall behind it, or lurk in the alley where the enemy spawns (if they have that flag)

Leap over sandbags and stab feckers taking the flag. If you cant see anyone about, but your flag is descending down the pole, they'll be hiding prone behind the bags.

Easy to sneak up on snipers overlooking the building construction area too.

You just have to take risks, chase someone around a corner if they run out of ammo, whip out the knife then leap around a corner where you think someone is waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Pongo

and wait by that flag with the brick wall behind it, or lurk
    See, that right there is where I have a problem with the whole badge lark, tachnically, that is no different to spawn camping, in fact, let's be honest, it is spawn camping....
    then again,
    Easy to sneak up on snipers overlooking the building construction area too.
    ...and...
    You just have to take risks, chase someone around a corner if they run out of ammo
    ...is fair enough, it's just if I realised that one or more people in my team were playing for badges, I'd be inclined to leave the server.

Then again, it's possible I've played countless games with people playing for badges and never noticed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Nope, I don't spawn camp, thanks. :p

I like going for knife kills. It makes the game more fun for me, it's risky. I don't just stand in one place for the entire level. If were defending the flag or I spawn there and know someone is lurking or coming...its especially fun to get those guys who spam our flag with grenades.

I pull my weight :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Dr_MaSoN

just play the game...the badges are a nice bonus...i got my sniper veteran badge yesterday just shootin away :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I came damn close last night... managed to get me 6 knife kills in standard combat; but the round ran out before I could find me a nice easy 7th kill :(

It's actually fun trying stomp around some of the maps with nothing but C4 or a knife... makes it a totally different game :cool:

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Got the knife badge last night on Karkand ( the last one just before the clock ran out ) and tbh I was absolutely useless to my team while doing it to the point of saying sorry on TS .

• Advertisement

i always play for badges, but never at the expense of a game.

for instance when going for combat badges/vehicle i usually either jump in a tank or plane and let the kills rack up as i normally do and the badges come by themselves.

static defense i normally move to a location where i can get the most kills and give the most cover.

teamwork badges normally come in the midst of a firefight, repairs, reloads, revives.

the only time i ever dick around with the badges is for c4/knife/pistol and even then im still working for my team.

C4 - bomb cars are the way to go
    knife - sharqi, i killed 5 guys in one run in the construction site and helped my team take the flag
    pistol - usually get the most kills as an engineer, which means im busy repairing crap so im still helping.

badges are just a nice way for me to know ive done so much in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Nice to see im missed :D

Snipers are usually the easiest targets. Got one of my badges runnin around the middle buildings on the map with the TV tower. Also got some knife kills up on top of the tower.

Mashtuur city can also be good around the middle flag where people spawn. They usually look over till the flag from that buildin & usually get 3-4 people up there when enemy has a flag.

Of course the bigger maps present the most opportunities. Small 16 maps might only get the odd person snipin or givin u a knifin chance. 64 in areas people can be crowded & might give the impression their backs are covered so when have 3 snipers in a area nobody coverin em & ya got a few easy kills :D

Hidin around corners at choke points can also be where could get knifings. Strike at karkland where everyone usually rushes down the alleys at the start can provide a few but chances are ya'd get killed by the next person. Maybe a few claymores so they got to turn & "Say hello to my lil friend" :cool: or they could just run into the claymore :P

Finally got the knife badge last night. :D

Three rounds of Wake Island 2007 in a row, two resulted in 6 knife kills, and the third (about 10 seconds before the clock ran down) resulted in that wonderful 7th kill. I was stalking the poor sod for about 60 seconds when I realised the time was running out, and I didn't want to miss it again by 1 kill so I just charged in and ended up knifing him before he could switch from his anti-tank launcher to something more useful :o

Now-all that's left is that damn elusive explosives badge... 13 kills in a single round. Most I've ever done to date is about 9-10 :confused:

c0y0te

its easy jump onto karkand and boot around in a hummer/vodnik covered in C4. ram apcs/tanks/hummers/vodniks that belong to the enemy.

another way is to use the c4 as a grenade over fences and walls. a very nice spot is the hotel on karkand.

took that advice (thanks jaggeh :rolleyes: ) and bombed around (literally) on the Songhua Stalemate map. That did it - all badges now accounted for... so if only I could figure out why I haven't been promoted yet? :mad:

c0y0te

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭EL WOG

BHA!!Knife!Pistol!Revive !ONLY!! 216.86.151.49:16567
    this is the ip for a pistal knife only ranked server, don't know if its still up
    but great fun and an easy way to get gold knife and pistal badges
    el wog

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

EL WOG wrote:
    BHA!!Knife!Pistol!Revive !ONLY!! 216.86.151.49:16567
    this is the ip for a pistal knife only ranked server, don't know if its still up
    but great fun and an easy way to get gold knife and pistal badges
    el wog

EA took down the knife/pistol servers and wiped the stats of people who played on them, including then world no. 1 elektrik.exp, so it's unlikely to still be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

And why exactly did EA do that? Sons of ....

And why exactly did EA do that? Sons of ....

Ranked servers are legally obliged by the contract to only play a standard game, i.e. standard ticket ratio's etc., and this means no set rules such as pistol/knives only.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ah ok that's cool. It would be good if they had some kind of variant though... :(

Advertisement