Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lowest Speed Limits

• 09-10-2005 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭

Saw a 10kph speed limit last week. OK, it was in a shopping center car park but realistically that's a litte bit hard to maintain without cutting out......anybody ever see a lower one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

the lowest..limit... eh.........!
    But in response to what you mean: 5kph (Private facility. ..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

At the time of the changeover, the bridge to Dollymount beach got a 5km/h sign. Not sure if it's still there, and that's a public road (road may be an inappropriate description).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saw a 10kph speed limit last week. OK, it was in a shopping center car park but realistically that's a litte bit hard to maintain without cutting out......anybody ever see a lower one?
    Any vehicle should be able to move at walking speed. If that's not possible, it's a lack of skill.

Though 5kph is a little too slow, slower than my walking speed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

seamus wrote:
    Though 5kph is a little too slow, slower than my walking speed.
    Bloody powerwalkers, wiggling their arses at everyone, in their pink shirts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭ando

imagine the garda out with their speed guns on a 5kph speed limit!

'Nabbed ya boyo.... u were doing 7kph'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

10kph - very difficult to manage since most spedo's dont go that slow. Never mind that they would be very innacurate at that speed.

What is the legal standing of speed limits on private property, is it true that the traffic laws only apply on public roads ?

Also what is the legal status on temporary speed limits put up by road workers ?

My bus will do walking speed no problem, just lift off the gas and let it chug along at idle. I know it's walking speed because I've tipped along chatting to walkers in the past; in fact I've been overtaken by walkers when I'm doing the same thing in a traffic jam.

Every car I've driven does this; dunno what you guys are driving...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Germany mandates Schrittgeschwindigkeit (walking pace, usually taken to be 7km/h) in the following cases:
    • When going over a level crossing
    • In residential roads designated as "calmed" (blue rectangular sign depicting playing children)
    • When overtaking buses at bus stops if they have their hazard lights on.

Observance isn't universal, except for in the calmed areas where it's pretty good (and the areas small).

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The lowest legal limit is 30km/h. All these makey upey speedlimits have no legal standing and cannot be enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,028 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

and you can slip the clutch a bit to go even slower than just driving with the clutch fully engaged and the engine idling. Of course petrol cars may have difficulty not cutting out from a lack of torque.

As regards speed limits at roadworks-best off to obey them as they may or may not be enforcable depending on how long they have been up and whether or ot a by-law backed them up.

• Advertisement

Bond-007 wrote:
    The lowest legal limit is 30km/h. All these makey upey speedlimits have no legal standing and cannot be enforced.
    Absolutely not, but if someone is doing 30mph in an area where someone has posted a 10mph limit for informational purposes, and it's creating a risk, a Garda will just do them for dangerous driving instead.

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Absolutely not, but if someone is doing 30mph in an area where someone has posted a 10mph limit for informational purposes, and it's creating a risk, a Garda will just do them for dangerous driving instead.
    On a private road me thinks not!

In that case they'd simply call it endangering life or something Bond-007.

Ok SO I can go out in the morning and errect a 10mph sign and expect the cops to charge people for dangerous driving on foot of an illegal roadsign? No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

My sister got a ticket for going over 10 km/hr (may have been 5 !) - she lives in Germany though...

Bond-007 wrote:
    Ok SO I can go out in the morning and errect a 10mph sign and expect the cops to charge people for dangerous driving on foot of an illegal roadsign? No way.
    Now you're just being silly. I'm not arguing that the sign has any kind of statutory authority, simply that if someone is driving dangerously below the statutory posted speed limit, the Gardaí can and do prosecute for an offense other than speeding. My original post on the matter was crystal clear on this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Now you're just being silly. I'm not arguing that the sign has any kind of statutory authority, simply that if someone is driving dangerously below the statutory posted speed limit, the Gardaí can and do prosecute for an offense other than speeding. My original post on the matter was crystal clear on this point.

They contradict each-other. What do you mean, in one you state that you could be done for driving over the 10k.p.h speed limit sign, and in the other you're saying you could be done for driving at 10 under the 30k.p.h limit, which one?

Not exactly crystal clear

Are "dangerous driving" and "speeding" the same offense in your country? Because they're not in mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Are "dangerous driving" and "speeding" the same offense in your country? Because they're not in mine.

No, if you read your two posts again they contradict each-other, as I have stated

No they don't. Note the use of the word "statutory" just after the word "below". I'll rephrase to make it clearer:
    ...if someone is driving dangerously below the statutory posted speed limit[, but above the local posted speed limit], the Gardaí can and do prosecute for an offense other than speeding.
    I suppose I can understand how the use of the word "below" could confuse matters in this particular post. I'm at a loss how anybody could misunderstand (or argue with!) the first though. Like I said, they can and do prosecute using charges other than speeding in these circumstances.

This isn't speculation, it's simply a the way it is. In a huge majority of situations, "fake" speed signs are posted for good reasons -- schools, residential areas, road work, etc. Driving above the "fake" speed limit is dangerous driving, and that's what the "speeder" will be charged with. QED.

Seems perfectly logical to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Bond-007 wrote:

I think he meant on private prroperty.
    If you owned, say a golf course, you can put up a sign saying 'Speed Limit 12.7Km/h Monday to Thursday, and 9.25Mph thereafter' if you like. After all it is private property.

Should you decide as a visiting individual to drive along at 40Kmh, and hit someone, it can be used against you in a court case that you did not observe a recommended speed limit, which was posted by the owner of the property who is assumed to know the characteristics of the land etc. and be able to make an informed decision of the appropriate driving speed.

There is precedent for the courts paying to amy heed to a recommended speed limit. I cite supermarket car parks. The court will use its determination of what is a reasonable speed not what the owner living in london thinks.

Bond-007 wrote:
    There is precedent for the courts paying to amy heed to a recommended speed limit. I cite supermarket car parks. The court will use its determination of what is a reasonable speed not what the owner living in london thinks.
    Indeed, and they'll prosecute you with dangerous driving or endangering life. Which is exactly what I said in posts 12 and 14. Aren't circles cool?

Advertisement