Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past Pupils

• 09-10-2005 5:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

oh how we love the goled olden days, how we want them back
    if your a PP post here, tell us all what you did and what the place was like when u were here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'm a past pupil. I just graduated from the BSc in computer systems management or... csm as every1 else calls it. I finished in June this year after three years at I.T Carlow. As for my opinion on the place, ah, it's not the worst, I used to bitch and moan about the place but it was alright in hindsight. Some of my lecturers, to be frank, were not up to standard academically or in their commitment, but to be truthful this is the same to some degree in every 3rd level institution in the world.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was down there in 00 ,the LRC had jsut been build and it was up to date and shiny:)
    Rent was £35pw nearly everywhere and the foundry was the only night club.

After being in college in Dublin previously and having to commute there it was great having everyone and everyhting within walking distance.

Scraggs sucked back then too but at elast the smell was masked by smoke:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i remember when the edge was the official night club for the IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You serious? The edge? It was the official club for the scumbags that were barred from all other pubs and clubs... The "bouncers" they used to have were from the same travelling family as the ones in the foundry...

As for only clubs in 00, Was nexus not around then? Because I thought that was around for the last 10 or so years.

Yea scraggs smells, but there's no other pub in carlow like it. Tully's used to be the main "Student bar" but the owner didn't exactly promote it like scraggs did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

The edge has been around years but under a few different names, was called saints and sinners before but I don't know if it was student friendly. It was actually really good for the first few months of my first year in the place but the foundry offered free entry and people went there instead.

I was a student until last year, graduated the bsc in software engineering. Took a few months off and now I'm not doing too good a job of looking for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I finished my BSc computer networking in may. Conferring is next month. Haven't heard jack **** from the college about it yet. I'm currently working full time :) and studying for MCSA/E exams :(.

Yeah I remember when The hEdge was the "official" students' union club, back when i was in first year (2001/02). Richie D was the SU ents officer (or was he president? I can't remember) back then and did a deal with them. Its changed its name about 5 times since.

The college hadn't changed much over the 4 years I was there besides the purchase of a few new PC's and the building of that glass quiet room in the LRC by the time I got to 4th year. Spent most of my college life after first year in the poxy stinking Killeshin centre with its 2-setting heating (arctic tundra/sahara desert). Did they ever fix that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭s4dd

fixed it? they IMPROVED it!!

now on hot days the windows jam and refuse to open, while on cold days' they get the janitors to go round with a crowbar and take the window's left hinge off..

now that's dedication to the student body's discomfort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

where you working stephen? What are the other lads from your class at?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

blu_sonic I remember that too:)it was the first year that it opened! and it was nearly always empty!

You were prob there when I was

Moonbeam wrote:
    You were prob there when I was

I was in 6th year secondary school, my girlfriend (at the time) was in the IT, i came the following year and the foundary had been reinstated as the official club by that time, altough the edge wasn't too bad, the foundary was free in so its a no brainer, the reason it was the edge that year was the su pres was barred from the foundary (atleast thats the rumour that did the rounds)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

that's exactly what it was. Rumour!
    He wasn't barred. The SU pres and ents officer spoke to both clubs about what the were gonna offer the students. The edge was the better choice cause the foundry weren't offering anything (they knew they didn't have to).
    It probably also helped that the ents officer (Richie D) was resident DJ in the edge at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I finished the June before last in B.Sc. in Software Engineering.... It was a likeable enough place and I had a good time there, but it wasn't without its problems (eh! no student bar for one!!!!), and a couple of **** of lecturers, a certain foreign one comes to mind!! :mad:

Wasn't Richie D the vice president at the time, loved that time, when the foundary was free every thursday night! Didn't get anything free, but it was the better nightclub really and they knew it too!

and the beacon of truth award goes to (drumroll please): ShayK1, (taaa daaaa)

cheers shay i knew it sounded too dodgy to be true, curse that foundry and its prices!!

silas wrote:
    Wasn't Richie D the vice president at the time,

Yeah he was VP but like every year (i think its the same every year anyway) the VP is also the ents officer.

Anyone remember when JP macArle or whatever his name was (SU Pres 2 years ago I think) registered on boards.ie an started posting??

Username LORD ring any bells??

Remember the year no bar extensions were allowed for rag week?
    They will never get planning permission for the Bar as lnog as the seconjdary school is there,thats why it got turend down more then once.

After the edge was offical nightclub,they decided to not have one and just let both compete for the students.

Ah the good old days,when Buzzes was good,drinks promotions were everynight and Sunday nights in the foundry were great:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Moonbeam wrote:
    They will never get planning permission for the Bar as lnog as the seconjdary school is there,thats why it got turend down more then once.

those little feckers, ive been in three classes this year where they come up to the window and shout, not even words just grunting of some sort.

the college should do a lot more to get them out. are they allowed food in the canteen still? dont be down there much but i remember they were always eating in there, which would be campbell caterings' fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yeah student bar got turned down multiple times because of the secondary school, but apparently as long as there's a building separating the bar from the school it would of being ok. Hence the Killeshin Centre is situated perfectly for a bar. Dont know how true above is but thats what I heard a couple of times anyway!!

i wont see it in my time anyway, but i sure it will happen eventually. anybody remember when they would convert the barrow centre to a bar/nightcluby thingy???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Was there in 00 for 2 years, went into software eng in 3rd year but found it far too borring so left. I remember the Edge being the college club, they gave free pints until 11 or something but you could only get 2 at a time. Great night!

I also remember the rag week when Judge Mary Martin wouldn't give any extensions, there was murder in the barrow centre!

Anyone remember cobblers at the back of the little owl, now The Leverett and Frye, Great spot!

any changes set for the future?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

future of what?

I think he means the campus bar. Can't see it happening myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

we shud just get a few cans and sit in the car park. im assumin the LRC has a no booze policy? compsoc and netsoc wud be so much more fun wit a few cans of the aldi 99c specials!

just the place in general, i think there is a loop hole that they could have a su-bar if the school was a certain distance and that there were a set no. of buildings between it, but thats not gospel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I thought there were plans at one time, two years ago i think.

they can't because of the primary/secondary school and as far as i know there weren't plans, just a lot of students living in hope. remember carlow IT is the house that rumor built

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

My opinon of a bar in the IT (and I am currently a student there) is that its perfectly fine without one, jeez we have more than enough pubs around town, what do we want another one in the college for?

It seems that everything in that college revolves around drinking, even 'The Blurb' the paper that is suppost to represent us when in reality all that is is a weekly review of the drunken antics of pupils and drink promotions etc, doesnt say much about us as a whole eh!

:confused: CroppyBoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Oh no, we had someone like you writing into the blurb last year, or was it the year before that? Anyway he complained about everythin... If you don't like it don't go, if it's not a good read then don't read it. Why would one want to ruin it for others just because they are somewhat against drinking??? It's going to happen but when is the question.

I remember Anto saying something about it early last year... or was it the year before that??? :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I'm an ex student also. Love the time down there, espically my first year. Man I love the day where myself and the lads from 102 green road used to dress up in white shirts and slacks and head to the foundry. Just so you sould pretend to be a bouncer and have a laugh, or sleeping in the bandstand accross from superquinn as you were just to drunk/lazy to walk home. Oh, the partys, that house used to rock for partys back in the day. Most of them were anounced as an after party by the DJ in the foundry, we even had dj equipment in the house for 6 months. I also arrived just as the LRC was finished so everything appeared new and shiney. It was a great place.

• Advertisement

My opinon of a bar in the IT (and I am currently a student there) is that its perfectly fine without one, jeez we have more than enough pubs around town, what do we want another one in the college for?

It seems that everything in that college revolves around drinking, even 'The Blurb' the paper that is suppost to represent us when in reality all that is is a weekly review of the drunken antics of pupils and drink promotions etc, doesnt say much about us as a whole eh!

:confused: CroppyBoy

to a certain extent i agree. it bugs me at times how the su and its activities is just a popularity contest. its the same people in the blurb every week, its the same people pictured in the prospectus every year.

eg, the president decided to dedicate two pages to how he broke his jaw in a football match. i dont care! if ye are that stuck for content why dont ye get out of the su office and find out thats happening in the college. eg the war between compsoc and netsoc continues!

i cant remeber seen an article on a hot topic n the college other than drinking. now im not saying dont drink, far from it, im just saying the blurb should have more interesting content.

in their own words, how many of their pieces start like this....

"Hi Folks,

Sorry about the poor blurb last week but we were really busy. Anyway this week should be great craic. The hurlers are drinking in oloughlins and the footballers are drinking in tullys. Mighty stuff.

Hope to see ye all there"

Advertisement