Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past Pupils

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Iamxavier, I'm a bit confused about your 'somelike like me' comment? What is that? Someone who cares more about there eduacation than drinking? Someone who has more self respect for themselves instead of falling about Tullow street at 3am drunk? Or someone who's daily topic of conversation is'nt who they 'shifted' the night before?

'If I dont like it, dont go......if its not a good read, then dont read it', well in fairness as stated, my interest is in getting an eduacation, not drinking and secondly I dont read the blurb when as already stated its the same thing, same people, same bad spelling. I read that article last year and I think there was another one from a female student who complained too about the blurb and they printed it in the blurb as a joke and everyone had a right laugh at it because the 'cool' thing to do and read is all about drink, those who have a backbone and try to be different and speak there mind are laughed off.

I'm not trying to cause trouble here, I'm saying things as I seen them and I am entitled to my opinion, ye mentioned about why isnt there a bar in the college and I voiced my disaproval. I'm not a wet rag or a joy kill, far from it, but why is it that everything has to soley revolve around alchohol?

Regards,

CroppyBoy1798

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

And yet TomTom you missed the biggest party ever there;P
    I still have the pics from the day after though:)

That was by far the best year of college I had:)

Trying to see how many all nighters could be pulled in a row..and then at the end of 2 how Thomas the tank and other kids programme seemed to take on whole new meanings:)

I remember going to and from the pub standing on the lights in the bandstand with those crazy Offaly people singing the Offaly Rover and us poor Dubs accidentally remembering the words after a while;)

I didn't play sports and other then play pool in the su,didn't really have much to do with it or them.

College there is what you make it,I made good friends,had a good time,and found if you werent in to something ie gonig out gettin drunk all the time it didn't matter cause there were always other people in the same boat,and the others jsut far to broke to go out:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I know i missed the party but i was in hospital so i have a good excuse. The blurb is a waste of photo copying paper. They should really get off their arses and put together a proper structured puplication. even if it is only A4 sheets photocopied a few features would not go astray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You do realise that the plans for the new building don't consist solely of a student bar??? There are a few other things in there also, I can only remember the childcare facility though.

I thought everyone that went to the IT had an interest in education... Sure why not have a good time while doing it? Don't get annoyed that others do it and don't insult them either... Sure feck it we're all here for some sort of a laugh no matter how dry you are. I know a few of the lads that go out and don't drink at all. I think that there is a slight bit of jealousy here... did ya not get your hole yet? That's fair enough, every man to his own... ;)

Iamxavier,

Right, look I'm sorry if I picked you up wrong, or if you picked me up wrong. It gets to me that college and drinking seem to go hand in hand, its not a good way to have things and its not a good view for people to have of us students, jeez we're more than that, we're the future IT technitians, designers, civil engineers and managers etc etc, why isnt it that people think of that when they think of students? Why is it that because some students like a drink and to act the eejit do I and others have to be put in the same boat. I'm not saying dont drink at all! Jeez, far from it, I go out myself, but I dont drink, have fun, yes! Thats what college is all about. But why put a bar in the college? Are we that bad off for drink?

As you say, each to there own, I still would not like the idea of a bar in the IT, but who am I to say, I'm in the minority but anyway I'll crawl back under my rock now, lol, said what I had to say, hope I didnt offend or cause anger :)

Many regards,

CroppyBoy1798

• Advertisement

Yea at least the stereotype has turned us into alcoholics and turned from the druggie stereotype people once had of us...

Sure why don't ye write something usefull into the blurb and make it interesting, and stop being little girls. The reason there is so much crap in it is because people don't bother their arses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

There's a childcare facility planned? Thats great cause there a lady in my class who was just saying to us today that its a pity theres no creche in the college. I hadn't thought of that before myself and think its a good idea.

I mean that should be top of the to do list, feck the pub for the moment, that childcare is a must and is definately needed. I know quite a few young women who need a place like this. Think that facility should have been there by now... tut tut...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i hear they are making a design block just one of my lecturars said. CroppyBoy1798 fair play for airing your views that what the forum is for i agree its a shame that the blurb is so poor, My friend had a letter published in it complaining about it it was under an assumed identity but all in all it was a crit on it, student life and alcohol go hand in hand its usually because its
    a. a young just 18+ crowd (1st years)
    b. first time away from home
    c. peer presure
    d. there isn't much more to do

its unfortunite that you've been ridiculed for your views on the issue but i guess thats the MO. of some posters here, some people don't have an ability to descuss an issue without resorting the childishness.

There you go again with your idiotic retorts... Try not to be so simple minded when posting blu... If you have an issue with me deal with it through PM's ;)

Complaining about the blurb doesn't do sh!t, you have to write articles every week for them in order to sway from the drinking topics... no point b!tching about it.

He has views, sure, no problem there. What the problem is that he was talking against having a pub in the college, why? Why not have a pub in the college... More will be going on than drinking, think of the entertainment and the likes and not having a college pub wont change the fact that we drink alot. It's not going to increase drinking, there will be problems of course.

As for your points blu, I would agree somewhat with a, b and c, you should add another point, E) Because people enjoying getting rat arsed, but saying there is nothing to do in carlow is bull. In the words of a wise old man "Try thinking outside the box". There is plenty to do in carlow if you have a positive attitude.

• Advertisement

need i say more about the certain type of poster here.

i never said there was nothing else to do, you clearly didn't read the post, i said there isn't MUCH else to do, you can go bowling, snooker and to the pictures hardly an aweful lot of choice but it is a choice thats why i said not much else to do.

i never retorted to you in particular, there are many more posters in the same vein as you and i was aiming the post at all of them, but clearly your ego felt i was on a witch hunt after you. grow up little boy more goes on on boards than your personal vendettas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

can i just point out that my rant wasnt about the drinking culture in college. far from it.

my point was that i dont see why the blurb must be dominated by antics of the same people every week. you could actually name a few names that are guaranteed to be mentioned/pictured in it as they are part of this elite bunch of su groupies.

it might be an idea to have the blurb as a small part of a larger publication. ie when you pick up the weekly you can go to the blurb section. but that would never happen.

lets not forget that the people working full time in the su get paid a minimum of 300eur a week. plus the advantages of free drinks/admission in town.

Sure shy don't we get together and create a "Burn the Blurb" group? Or better again, write something for it. The reason there is the same sh!te and teh same ugly faces every week is because nobody puts anything interesting in it. The bloody alcoholics seem to be the only ones that post.

Lets try have some decent conversation and stop being such a whiner blu...

is there any chance that you could maybe refrain from directing your posts toward me, also try to not send me aggressive IM's that simply have threating undertones to them.

why don't we set up a group to petition the su and said group present a publication that could replace or incorporate the blurb.

Do you linger here waiting for people to post so you have maybe a chance at starting a row? Why you refer to PM's I sent? I got the PM saying not to send them, why do you insist on making it public? I have come to the conclusion that you will not stop being a complete twat and therefore I must ask tom tom to step in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Hows everything up in carlow?
    Scraggs alley! :D

feel free i've already asked, obviously he didn't say much, it is plain for anyone to see you are the aggressor, you started this. my previous post was a plea for your petty remarks to stop, you clearly didn't heed any notice.

i asked tom to have a word with you i said i didn't want you banned or anything as harsh but you need to stop having a go at me at every possible junction, grow up and leave me alone. start a thread about how much you dislike me or something as banal.

now to get back on topic.
    I heard there are a tonne of new bars open down there,which one is the best? whats happening to the old bowling alley, is it just vacant?

seeing as the pub issue got such a rise what would you all do if you could change something about the college? i think i'd make the music studio into something a bit more up to date, the facilities are a bit crapola at the mo, i'd throw in a 4 channel analogue recorder it would be cool

blu_sonic wrote:
    i hear they are making a design block just one of my lecturars said. CroppyBoy1798 fair play for airing your views that what the forum is for i agree its a shame that the blurb is so poor, My friend had a letter published in it complaining about it it was under an assumed identity but all in all it was a crit on it, student life and alcohol go hand in hand its usually because its
    a. a young just 18+ crowd (1st years)
    b. first time away from home
    c. peer presure
    d. there isn't much more to do

its unfortunite that you've been ridiculed for your views on the issue but i guess thats the MO. of some posters here, some people don't have an ability to descuss an issue without resorting the childishness.

I'm not sure but I think that's the start of all this sh!te. Correct me if i'm wrong... but I think you are the clear agressor in this round.

Now lets get technical...
    Lets try have some decent conversation and stop being such a whiner blu..

Could have sworn that this was a request to stop the crap, that was clearly ignored...

For the next quote you get a blue peter badge for showing so much mercy... I thank you for that..........
    blu_sonic wrote:
    i asked tom to have a word with you i said i didn't want you banned or anything as harsh but you need to stop having a go at me at every possible junction, grow up and leave me alone. start a thread about how much you dislike me or something as banal.

Now I will ask you one more time to stop being a dick and "Leave me alone... :("

As for the bowling alley.. .I don't know what the story is with that. New pubs? Well there's the barracks. That's the only "new" pub the rest have just changed their names... meh!!!

What would I change about the college? The crappy/non-existant air conditioning in the business block. The rubbish blinds that "block out the light".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

its not something i would change about the college, its more student related.
    every guy ( and possibly girl ) should be toilet trained and thought how to respect the jacks in the college. simple things like flushing toilets and not pissing on the ground would be a good start. i remember at least twice a week last year the jacks near 307 used to be blocked on purpose. i hope karma gets these ****ers.

working blinds??? pffff, your not squinting enough

ah the design rooms were the best thing in the college we were just left alone up there it was great, the only down side was the early learning students came in once a week and our things would go missing lol.

xavier you've been aggresive towards me since your compsoc thread was closed. like i said LEAVE ME ALONE, you and those like you are a blight upon boards, you chase the newbies away and you wind ever one with your childish name calling like calling me a dick/idiot/whiner/siple minded etc. here an olive branch this is silly can we draw a line under it? no smart answers no witty quips, just yes its over or no agreed?

• Advertisement

Sorted... ;)

thumbs up to ya

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

ok, since most of this went on over the weekend i missed a lot of it. If ye both agree to stick to your truce then fine but if either of ye break it, you are both banned for a month and if their is a repeat or reg under another nick to start again then the ban is permanent.

Why both? Well if one calls the other an idiot and i only ban one it gives the other a free shot to return abuse and I know thats what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

write something for it.

ah yes but like i said im not getting paid 300eur a week to do it.

but seriously do it over the whole week you've no deadlines make it like a hobbie, remember it'll never change if we don't push the issue with the su

I was going to put some stuff in it last year but then I decided not to waste my time... I wouldn't mind having something to do with the blurb but what topics would people like to see in it?

I think I will write about the activities Carlow has to offer... sometime...

Not everyone in the union gets paid. Don't complain about the content of the mag then say I won't write anything for it. People don't get paid a penny to write for the blurb. :P

why not do a com/net soc thing like a league table give people points on how they fair in different games etc.

or a true current affairs

As for the Blurb, what do I think should be in it?

Well something interesting, something that I would enjoy sitting down to read on my break, an interesting story, some interesting facts, a bit of history, jeez anything that make it worth while to sit down and read.

If I had the time I honestly would submit something but I am completely snowed under with work and am finding it hard to get my own deadlines met, let alone trying to write a blurb article, but by my understanding when we voted for a student union president and his/her crew that one of there duties as to put together a weekly news letter, not just throw something together at the last minute (thats how it looks to me)

Take care,

CroppyBoy1798

how many times have you seen "sorry aout this weeks blurb guys, we didn't have much time to put it together", xaviers right, but i never though of writing for it, i think i will next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

Lately, there have no jokes at all in it, and when there was jokes, they were crap! What it needs is some decent jokes:D .

Advertisement