Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Past Pupils

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭mada999

finished in dec..hope I passed!! anyway Carlow was/is deadly had a great time and made some great friends..glad I went there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Was there until 2000 managed to get out with a decent degree in software engineering.

The lecturers werent too bad( of course you have the dodgy one or two) and all in all a good time was had in the IT.

Granted an even better time was had in Scraggs and Tully's.

The one issue i would take is with the jobs department in the collage they rarely have any positions that would suit a computing graduate and was only with a bit of Luck that i managed to get a job in IBM. when you compare the amount of positions that they have on the website with some other IT's in Ireland it is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The carrers service in the college is a bit of a joke to be honest.
    Most people end up getting IT jobs of there own back!

A bit of luck and we'll all end up in IBM ;) ain't that right Tommy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I agree careers service is bad but it's not like there will be hundreds of companies willing to offer Carlow IT students jobs straight out of college. I only did a cert in computing then took a crappy phone support job for a year, but I'm working in one of the large blue chip compaies and doing quite well for myself now, it's up to yourself to do what you want. Some people think once you have a degree people will be running after you to offer you a job. It might have been like that in the 90's but most places want experience now so you have to ride out a year or two of crap to get something decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

woodyg wrote:
    The carrers service in the college is a bit of a joke to be honest.
    Most people end up getting IT jobs of there own back!

A bit of luck and we'll all end up in IBM ;) ain't that right Tommy

christ almighty, its a bit premature to be posting in the past pupils thread dont ya think! although premature is a common association with you alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I would agree that the careers service leaves something to be desired. I would them totally unhelpful tbh. Why say there are great jobs available and when you ask there is nothing. Sucks ass tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

That one in careers is so into her own ego I tell ya. I think its upto yourself to get a job though. There's no point blaming the college when you graduated that they didn't get you a job. All I expect from the careers service is just some help with cv's.

Advertisement