Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall chasing

• 09-10-2005 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Anyone any tips on chasing out a new house ? Would it be best get the proper wall chaser and cut the walls and then hilti out pieces ?

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you have a lot to do then get a chaser and kango.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

wall chasing with a good kango like a bosch or a hilti is quick and simple if you're skilled at it.if you're a novice you might have to use a wall chaser first
    to avoid dogging the walls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

a chasing tool will leave alot of mess, but will look the best and will be easier to fix, somtimes if you dont go for straight lines ( a slight s shape but generally still straight) this usually makes it easier to fit the pipe into the chase, if its very straight then you will need to tack it in , or jam it in before you plaster with a slight S shape you can kind of bend it into place.

The old way was to "Chain Drill2 ie get a 5.5mm mas bit and grill down along the lines of the chase, then knock the bits out. It also depends on the wall, your wall could be soft or hard, if its a poured wall then you'll need all the power tools you can get your soon to be shaky hands on.

Also if the wall has wall paper ( new house so no etc ) but cut the wall with a stanley knife along the edge and peel the paper back, also if the wall is softish, its no harm to run an old knife up and down the run this can break the outer layer of plaster in a nice line, and stop it breaking off in lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

general rule seems to be that the wall chaser creates alot of dust. Have access to couple of hilti's so might just tackle it with a 25mm SDS chisel and see how goes it.

sounds good, but try running the line in with an old knife or an old screwdriver , and chain drilling does work, I've done alot of this sort of lark in my time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

I recently chased my house....I used a grinder to chase two lines at a depth of around half an inch and then used a hilti - it did a nice job. The grinder creates alot of dust tho which can be reduced by soaking the section of the wall to be chased with water beforehand. Also you can nail a couple of pieces of strapping to the wall as guides if you want to foresake the grinder.

what size grinder ? I have a good 115mm bosch or would i need the bigger ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭celtictiger

That should get the job done tho I used a slightly larger one. Make sure and wear goggles and a face mask!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Kangoing chases on a concrete wall can substantially reduce the stability of the wall – concrete does not handle the vibrations well and the mortar may weaken. I had to knock and rebuild a concrete block wall in my 50 yr old house cos of the effect of the extensive chasing on it. Your new house won’t be as susceptible for this but if you’re doing a lot go with a chaser (you’ll still need a kango for finishing it off though as chaser won’t go full way to the wall.

Keep soaking the wall and the ground where the dust has gathered – lay down some cardboard and soak it to reduce the dust in the air.

I reckon you’ll get pi**ed off wearing a google and mask at the same time as the steam from the mask inevitably clogs up the goggles, but persevere as long as you can and go for the best mask you can find. I actually think a full on gas mask is the ideal solution here but haven’t tried it. I did extensive chasing in my house (used a 9 inch angle grinder and kango but wish I’d gone with chaser) and I found best thing was to block my nostrils with tissue – at least this way you swallow the dust as opposed to it getting into the respiratory system where it causes more damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,450 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Remember, vertical only, no horizontals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 afrofish

Victor wrote: »
    Remember, vertical only, no horizontals.

Sorry to resurect an old post guys, but does anyone know why victor said no horizontals? I am trying to get my head round the wiring for my new house and I know data lines and electrical wires have to cross at right angles. How do you do this if no horizontal chasing?

I think its so you or someone else will not end up drilling through or hammering a nail into a cable.

With vertical drops you can look at switch or socket and know roughly that the conduit is running vertical down (or up) to that point and so you have a rough idea where not to drill. With horizontal it could be possible that someone who wasnt aware you had horizontal conduits in the wall to drill into or hammer a nail into the cable.

its got nothing to do with electro-magantic interference. It's just there to try to prevent damage to the cables, the idea being that you would stay away from above or below a power point, but either side of it "should" be safer.

the industrial rules for running power and data cables cannot be reasonably enforced in a house. You can keep the data cables in different conduits that you run parallel to the electrical cables. Same with TV cables using double screened cable and with the short runs in a house you should not have interference issues in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Dg_

chasing using the proper double disk grinder leaves no dust because you should be using a hoover with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Dg_ wrote: »
    chasing using the proper double disk grinder leaves no dust because you should be using a hoover with it.

You'll still get a certain amount of dust. Should stop the big clouds tho,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Draging this back again but..

I'm about to chas the chimney in the house.. and was going to go diagonal... anyone do this ?

Should i not try it diagonaly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Why do you want to chase it diagonally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

TV is on the wall.. in the middle.. shortest way to were the leads are in diagonally-- down to the box like

Advertisement