Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crap skype performances with IOLBB+

• 09-10-2005 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

:mad:
    I've been monitoring the skype performances with my IOLBB+ in the last few months.
    I've always noticed problems after a while on being able to communicate properly with the other peer.
    My voice after few minutes will always come with a huge delay.
    Few times I could tell becasue I could even hear my voice coming 10 seconds late from the echo effect...
    I have never had problems on the other way: I could always hear perfectly with no delays.
    Of course they are few exceptions but this is the normal situation.
    I travel quite intensively and I have the chance to test many residential or hotel broadband.
    It's frustrating to say that 95% of the times I have had better performances than at home with my IOLBB+
    What's the problem? Of course the upload speed/bandwithd!!
    I can never stress enough the importance of this metric to judge the quality of a broadband connection.
    I have noticed better performances using skypeout (whenever you call a payphone) and this is perfectly online with my observations because skypeout uses less bandwitdh.
    I won't call Esat cause I did it in the past .... :(
    I only want you know if you are experiencing similar problems.
    I would like to know if you are on a different product if you are satisifed with performances using VOIP softwares.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

its the upload speed no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Technicaly it is easier to transmit at a higher bitrate (bps) from the DSLAM (in the exchange) to the consumer then it is for consumer equipment to do the same, it is also easier to transmit at a higher bitrate because of the way all the different customers are connected to the DSLAM increases crosstalk on the incoming connections rather then the outgoing connections. This is a technical limitation of ADSL which ISPs use as an advantage because people tend to download more then they upload which generaly requires more receive bandwidth.

I think for business connections there are fewer connections per DSLAM (lower contention ratio) which means that they can double the upstream bitrate from 128 to 256.

Anyway the answer to your problem is the upstream bandwidth and the fact that Skype is based on P2P protocols. Skype uses your bandwidth to relay calls to other Skype users so the faster your connection the more bandwidth Skype will "steal" I am sure there is a way to restrict outgoing bandwidth that Skype uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Yes, the IOL upload really kills Skype i've noticed. Only tends to happen to me when other programs are using the 128k though.

Advertisement