Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

so who is going to the world cup?

• 09-10-2005 11:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

well alot of the places are now decided.

Europe

Germany

Ukraine

Holland

Poland

England

Croatia

Italy

Portugal
    Six others - including three play-off winners - still to book places.

South America
    Argentina

Brazil

Ecuador

Paraguay

The fifth-placed team goes into a play-off with Australia, who beat the Solomon Islands in the Oceania qualifying final

Asia
    Japan

Iran

South Korea

Saudi Arabia

One other team to enter play-off against Central American country.
    Bahrain and Uzbekistan are level at 1-1 after the first leg of their play-off

North and Central America

USA

Mexico

Costa Rica

The fourth-placed team will face either Bahrain or Uzbekistan in a two-legged play-off. (Guatemala and Trinidad and Tobago )

Africa
    Angola

Ghana

Ivory Coast

Togo

Tunisia

South Africa, Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco and Cameroon have all missed out as a result.

Oceania

Australia beat the Solomon Islands 9-1 on aggregate in their two-legged play-off. They will play the fifth-placed South American country in a play-off on 12 and 16 November.

so overall:
    Qualified teams: Germany, Argentina, Japan, Iran, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Ukraine, USA, Brazil, Mexico, Angola, Togo, Ghana, Ivory Coast, Holland, Poland, England, Croatia, Italy, Tunisia, Portugal, Ecuador, Paraguay.

personally i'm very surprised at how competitive africa now is.i mentioned some of the teams that missed out, but you can also include teams like egypt, algeria, burkina faso, mali, sierra leone who have all showed good form of the last few african nations.only the group winners in their 6 man groups qualify

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

thats a tricky one,brasil have to be up there but with the finals being in europe i have a funny feeling a european team might win it hopefully england,feel free to laugh at any time :D ,only joking.the germans have a good chance with it being staged there and you can never write them off also the portugese look a strong team.the spainish and the french i think you can rule out,the french are well past it if the make the finals of course,and the spainish never really deliver in the major tournaments as for the african countries i know very little so i can not make a good judgement,but if i had money on it, it would be brasil

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Holland look a very good bet to win it I think. I'm delighted that the Ivory Coast made it, even if it means that we'll be seeing Drogba's hideous mug on the world stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

It does show the strength of the African Nations that Nigeria and Cameroon ahve missed out.

I don't think you can look past Brazil. A forward line comprising of Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Ronaldo and Robinho says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Holland are still available at 10/1. I got them at 16/1 a few months ago.

A lot of new faces there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Holland are the team to bet on. They are a very young side and Van Basten has worked wonders with them. Their odds are shortening all the time so now is the time to bet on them. I dont think Brazil will win it this year as its in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Brazil for me are the clear favourites as they are really the only team in international football who have the flair and the talent to win the World Cup.

I'm not particularly excited about the next World Cup. There are very few great international teams IMO and with dull sides like Greece winning Euro 2004 I wouldn't be surprised if some complete unknown quantity came through in the end again by putting 11 men behind the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Kingp35 wrote:
    Holland are the team to bet on. They are a very young side and Van Basten has worked wonders with them. Their odds are shortening all the time so now is the time to bet on them. I dont think Brazil will win it this year as its in Europe.

I agree. They are 10-1 with Padpy Powers. WOuld like to get 12's or even 14's though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Brazil for me are the clear favourites as they are really the only team in international football who have the flair and the talent to win the World Cup.

I'm not particularly excited about the next World Cup. There are very few great international teams IMO and with dull sides like Greece winning Euro 2004 I wouldn't be surprised if some complete unknown quantity came through in the end again by putting 11 men behind the ball.

I disagree completely. I think it will be a brilliant World Cup. The Brazilians and Argentinans are in great form, expect Italy, Spain and even England to come good by the time the competition starts. The Germans will be out to impress in front of their home fans. Also the addition of 4 debutant African teams will be excellent.

Of course to make it a truly great World Cup (interest wise etc) we need to have Ireland there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Italy anybody??

If they can sort out their atitude they could go all the way. And they have talent that only the few can muster

Holland seem a good bet and so too Brazil of course but its going to be way harder for them this time around as they took everyone by surprise in Japan due to poor qualifying results.

Mexico will do well too they seem to have a **** hot team coming through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd have to agree. Apart from Ireland's involvement (that equaliser against Germany :)), 2002 was a pretty bad World Cup for footballing quality. The same could be said of Euro 2004.

Therefore, hopefully this will change with World Cup 2006. I still think that players have too many club games and are too drained by the time the World Cup comes around. Add into that pointless competitions like the Olympics and the Confederations Cup and there are far too many games for international players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

can anybody clear up how the hell did england qualify automatically already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Already a thread on this

See where Owen has said that only Brazil are better than England.....clown....sure Austria where as good as them on Sat....they are brutal....Germany are terrible as well and would prob not have qualified only they are hosting it....brazil, Argentina and Holland are the top 3....Italy will be a semi team but will prob drop out then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

As said in the other thread, England have already qualified as they will be at least the 2nd best runner up in the european groups.

Advertisement