Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff Injury?

• 09-10-2005 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

Whats the storey with Duff's knee injury he got last night. Kerr said he doesn't fancy his chances of making the game but that nonetheless he'd be having a scan today to find out the extent of the injury. Hopefully its not serious. There is nothing on skysports about it anyway.

If he's out of the game do you think Andy Reid will be able to fill the void? I'm not sure!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

he's out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

They just read out on the road that the "talisman" will be missing. He should of came off the pitch the minute he was hobbling yesterday.

My midfield at the minute would be Andy Reid on the left, Kilbane and Holland in the centre and Steven Reid on the right wing. Although I'd be willing to drop Kilbane and put Reid in the centre, with Finnan on the right, if he was willing to get forward.

Kavanagh has to go. He was dreadful yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Duff really shouldn't have played yesterday.
    There was doubt about him before the game and he should have been saved for the Swiss game.

Kavanagh and Kilbane were running around like headless chickens yesterday.
    No purpose from either of them.
    Not exactly confidence inspiring for the Swiss game.

I think Andy Reid, Holland, Stephen Reid and Finnan should make up the midfield for the Swiss game.

Killian

I'd agree with ya but I'm not sure Finnan has what it takes to get up and down the right wing and create chances. Reid has pace and could be useful on the right wing.

I'd also be up for giving Kilbane another chance. He can play well in central midfield, as he showed with a MOM performance against the French in Paris.

I don't want to get into a debate about Kilbane, i don't watch him week in, week out for Everton but i dread seeing him pull on an Irish shirt.
    I just can't see anything good about his play.

He's a poor tackler, he has no presence.
    Sure he can run and run but to what end?
    When he plays on the wing his final ball is dreadful.

Can Finnan play left back?
    Is there anyone else ( apart from Harte ) able to play left back?
    If so, i think i'd put John O'Shea in the centre of midfield in place of Kilbane.
    Or maybe Finnan could play centre midfield in a kind of holding role?

I'm not really looking forward to the Swiss game.
    If Given had given anything less than 100% yesterday we'd have lost that game.

If we play like we played yesterday the Swiss will destroy us.

Killian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

How can people here want to give Kilbane another chance. He was woeful last night. I think John O Shea also had a nightmare last night, but I'm also for giving him a run in midfield with Ian Harte replacing him at Full Back. At least he will make runs forward.

But KILBANE must not play in the center of Midfield again for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

How people can call for JOS to play in midfield totally bewilders me, particularly after last nights performance.

Kilbane is ideal foil for Keane because Kilbane can do two mens running and Keane can do all the passing, playing. But to be fair to Kilbane he has some great touches too at times.

O'Shea cannot pass a ball five yards, gets caught in possession far too often, and gets caught out of position and ball watching regularly. Personally I dont fancy O'Shea doing all this centrally and thirty yards out while playing in the holding role in midfield.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As bad as JOS can be, there is no way he would have been worse that that clown Kilbane last night. Wed is too important for any F**k ups. May JOS may not be the best midfielder or defender for that matter in the world, but we are very limited with our options dont you think.

What good is running when it has no purpose?

We all know he can run and so do the opposition and they let him run because they know he isn't a threat.
    He can run around all day for all they care.

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Slap both Reid's on the wings

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote:
    Slap both Reid's on the wings

And slap Kilbane while you're at it. :D

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

considering the abuse kerr has got the last few weeks, i cant imagine the uproar if were to player JOS in midfield wednesday night and it turned out to be a disaster. JOS has played a handful of games in there and should not be considered in midfield for this game.

my midfield for wednesday would be the two reids on the wind and kilbane and kavangh in the centre. kilbane has handed in some big performances for us in this campaign and hes worth the risk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The midfield was terrible last night it really was and changes have to be made. Kilbane and Kavangh just didnt perform at all and were not in the game. Holland made a difference when he came on I think he should start. Im not his biggest fan as he tends to disappear for periods in a game but something has to change in the centre and I think he is the man to do it. With Duffer out now Andy Reid has to start left side. I would probably play Stephen Reid in the centre with Holland and Finnan on the right. I know he didnt perform last night but I still think he can do a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

both reids have to figure from the start. Once again we are clueless to who should be central midfield. Maybe the reason we won't get to the World Cup is becuase we failled to fill the most important gap on the pitch - the centre! If only Keane was back!

Does anyone think that Elliott will keep his place over Morro Wednesday night? I think Kerr will probably start with Morrison cuz he is effective in the air and Ireland generally play better when they have a target man, but bring he'll give Elliott a long run as a second half sub. I think without Duff, Elliott is the only individual on the pitch who can create chances out of nothing.

I wouldn't let JOS near central midfield, the only blessing last night was that he couldn't do too much damage at left back. I'd start Harte ahead of him because I'm worried that our only chance of a goal is from a set piece.

Elliott looks creative but I'd keep him and throw him on second half. Morrisson has scored important goals and deserves to keep his place IMO.

Kavanagh should definitely go for Holland. He was terrible last night. I don't know how people can think Kilbane was worse. It's getting pretty bad though when I'm beginning to think that if Carsley was fit he'd be worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

maybe we can play elliot on one of the wings??? he looks fast and zippy could do well there and creat some chances for us

Now is not a time to start experimenting and playing more players out of position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kilbane has a dead leg and will prob miss and Carr has an injury on this knee but is expected to make the game.....Anyway Kilbane was useless but that other grey haired idiot was terrible....have seen so many times on boards here people saying what a great player he is but he was useless.....everytime he got the ball except for the goal he lost it....everytime....watch the game again....I said it after 10 mins to the lads watching the game with me.....5 mins later everyone was begging the rest of the team not to pass to him......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

JoS deserves to be deported for crimes against the state, such is the half arsed, lack lustre, totally inadequate preformances he has had in every single game he has ever played for Ireland. He is absolutely MUCK. How people are calling for him to play one of the most important positions on the pitch I dont know. :eek:

Ian Harte may be the slowest player around but he adds something to the Irish team that JoS will never - Set Pieces. Only Andy Reid can match his quality from set pieces. He can also deliver some superb crosses which I do not remember seeing one of on Saturday. O'Shea is a disaster waiting to happen and should not start.

Personally I think the midfield will be

Reid
    Kavanagh
    Holland
    Kilbane

Whether this is good enough, we will only know after the game.
    Fingers crossed it will be :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Maybe the reason we won't get to the World Cup is becuase we failled to fill the most important gap on the pitch - the centre!
    You're making it sound like it's club football! We can't just do a Chelsea and go and buy a midfielder, unfortunately we're stuck with the players we've got, or "haven't got" in this circumstance.

B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Big Nelly wrote:
    but that other grey haired idiot was terrible....have seen so many times on boards here people saying what a great player he is but he was useless.....everytime he got the ball except for the goal he lost it....everytime....watch the game again....
    In fairness he did have a really bad game but he's usually pretty good. If the team for wednesday was to be picked based on saturdays performances the only players who wouldn't be dropped are Given, Elliot and maybe Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Kavanagh did have a poor game, but I thought Killer was just as bad. As least Kavanagh is a footballer, and has the potential to get on the ball and pass it well. All Killer does is run around and smile like an idiot.

I'd play the Reids on the wings and Kav and Holland in the centre. Kilbane might be useful as a sub in the last quarter though.

Finnan was awful too, and cant play in midfield against the Swiss IMO. But he's a better full back than Carr. Duuno what I'd do about left back, no option worthy of the word. I thought O'Shea had turned a corner after his good performance v France in Lansdowne, but he hasnt been good in recent weeks for MU I believe, and he was awful on Saturday. Obviously we havent seen Harte recently, but I know he's still a worse defender than O'Shea. But he might score from a free-kick.

Advertisement