Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Serenity' Sequel OR 2nd Series of 'Firefly'?

• 09-10-2005 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭

OK, after seeing both the 'Firefly' series and the 'Serenity' film.. if you could choose, would you prefer Joss to continue making the films or go back to the TV show?

I know a revival of the TV show will more or less never happen but i'd have to say i'd prefer it.

Now, don't get me wrong: i absolutely loved the film. Had one major problem with it but loved it anyways!

But it's easier to make a bad episode of the TV show than a bad sequel to the film. In other words.. making fans wait 2 - 3 years (give or take, for a sequel considering 'Wonder Woman' is still in the works for Joss) and then giving us an average / below average sequel as opposed to giving us a couple of poor episodes of 'Firefly' in a series which will inevitably kick-ass.

I know the film and series were two very different things but i'd be interested in hearing views on what you'd prefer for the future.

What would you prefer? 11 votes

Sequel to 'Serenity'
    0% 0 votes
    2nd Series of 'Firefly'
    100% 11 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

A second series of course. You can do more in a series. You can tell more stories, have more twists, have more characters, have more arcs and take your time in telling the story you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

A second series would be better. Maybe they'll have one after the BDT...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Definitely a second series, for the reasons Hugh pointed out above. However, I did love the film, and I'd openly welcome a sequel to it. Either way, I'm happy. But I would prefer for the series to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I haven't seen Firefly yet. I fully intend too now though and dammit I want more than two hours of Whedon goodness. So second series is my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

there was an interview recently where Joss said that he wouldn't do another series, he felt it would be a step back from taking Firefly to the big screen...

that said I too would prefer another series..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

there was an interview recently where Joss said that he wouldn't do another series, he felt it would be a step back from taking Firefly to the big screen...

I would agree. I'd rather see a new big-screen film than a return to the small series tbh. I think having wrapped up a fair amount in 'Serenity', a new series would be a bit redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Whedon has repeatedly said in interviews that Serenity takes the story arc to the end of what would have been season 2. I'd guess he had at least 5 series in mind when he first concieved the idea. I felt that the end of Serenity is where the story kicks off and that it has a "Fall of the Night" feel.

I know how unlikely it is but I wish he would resume the series if he gets the chance. I want to see the story in the way it was originally intended. However I'll take a sequel over nothing ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

Another series would be the preferred option though I thinks its highly unlikely. A sequel would also be great. Hey just so long as we get more stories about this crew, I don't care what format its in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

im guessing the overall story arc is the crew constantly destabilizing the parliament until a new civil war starts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭Fence

can't we have both? A film every year for ten years :)

I'd prefer a series, though it was great to see Serenity on the big screen. Just don't think there is enough time for all of Joss's storyline and characters to fit in films.

But with Wonder Woman and Goners I don't think he'd have time for a series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

have yet to see Serenity [going tomorrow night] but defo a second series of Firefly.

beside, isn't there gonna be 2 more Serenity movies?

kaimera wrote:
    beside, isn't there gonna be 2 more Serenity movies?

the actors are signed on for three films in total. or so say the rumours. But Joss has mentioned a figure of 80 million needed (interntational) in order to turn a profit and get the sequel made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i'd prefer them to leave it to rest, the series and climatic (sp?) ending in the form of a movie is just perfect the way it is, how many series/movies have been ruined by people milking them for all they're worth

i'd prefer them to leave it to rest, the series and climatic (sp?) ending in the form of a movie is just perfect the way it is, how many series/movies have been ruined by people milking them for all they're worth

But they're not being milked for all they're worth. Joss has plenty of stories in his head. The series was supposed to go on for seven seasons, apparently. A half season and a movie isn't all it's got in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

yeah and i thought the first series of buffy was promising and the first series of angel was watchable and look how they went

Uh.. they got about ten times better?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

jaggeh wrote:
    im guessing the overall story arc is the crew constantly destabilizing the parliament until a new civil war starts...

that'd be kind of cool, he could have ended the arc with a new civil war and Malcom either being pleased by this because he could 'put right' the balance of power in the universe or unable to come to terms with the fact that he helped cause a new war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Daelus wrote:
    Uh.. they got about ten times better?

That's true,especially in regard to Angel.

Aye. Buffy got much, much better until about the 5th season whereat it slowly started getting worse (with a few spikes of improvement here and there). Angel got far better as it went along too. Then in the second last season it started getting worse but I think it ended being above average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Spideyman

I get the feeling from seeing some interviews that Joss has had it with TV, or a least the networks from how much they jerked him about. With the films he has far more control, and less of a chance of someone deciding to end the movie halfway through. Still would prefer a series myself but only if it was aired well in contrast to before.
    On a similar note: I might be reading into this too much but I get the feeling that "Can't stop the signal" is a wee bit of a metaphor for this, something that the general public needs/wants to see, is stopped by authority but is seen in the end despite their interference (the jump from TV to film through the popularity of DVD). May be BS but I just saw an interesting parallel)

• Advertisement

If this job goes down there won't be another one

I <3 Joss Whedon

Spideyman wrote:
    On a similar note: I might be reading into this too much but I get the feeling that "Can't stop the signal" is a wee bit of a metaphor for this, something that the general public needs/wants to see, is stopped by authority but is seen in the end despite their interference (the jump from TV to film through the popularity of DVD). May be BS but I just saw an interesting parallel)
    I thought that was the whole point.

P.s. Sutty? Can we stop using spoiler tags on everything now? The film's been out for ages.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I agree with second series. Though, isnt the movie meant to be a trilogy?

I was on fireflyfans.net but its too geeerah a site for me to use...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I cant see why eather of the posts on this page used spoiler tags :eek: there nothing spoilerish in them. In terms of plot/direct ref to moments in the movie. Yeah I'd still like people to use tags. Not everyone went to see the movie. So hopefully more will rent it. I had a feeling it would go that way. A lot of sci-fi movies do. Look at pitch black. I dont even remember it getting a Big screen release. But it got a second movie, a game and a cartoon.

When it comes to spoiler tags, I find better safe than sorry to be a good basis of use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sequel rumour: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/673/673102p1.html
    ...on the Sci-Fi channel apparently.

Would much rather see a series next to SG and BSG.

SofaKing wrote:
    Sequel rumour: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/673/673102p1.html
    ...on the Sci-Fi channel apparently.

Would much rather see a series next to SG and BSG.

Yeah, but according to Whedonesque all this is is a big fat rumour without a single source. I'm wishing, but not getting my hopes up.

Disclaimers and its all just gossip article but with a few positive statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Without a doubt I'd prefer another series. The whole attraction of Firefly was the characters - it was one of the few (if not only) series where I actually cared what happened to the people in it.
    and considering I only watched the series after seeing the film, I got sadder and sadder as I got to like Wash more and more, knowing his fate :(
    The film was excellent, but being a feature film it has to concentrate on a certain amount of action to get a wide audience - I'd rather see more character development really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

A new series I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭WellCultured

yeah and i thought the first series of buffy was promising and the first series of angel was watchable and look how they went

LOL.

Advertisement