Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL radio signal - pick it up in different room?

Options
  • 09-10-2005 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

hi all,

we have NTL in our house, there are two outputs on the "socket" on the wall, one for TV and the other for radio. The question is how do I use the radio slot?

Do I have to run a co-axial cable directly from the socket into the back of a stereo system? In that case the radio would have to be beside the TV so why wouldn't I just turn on the audio channel on the NTL receiver?

OR can I buy some sort of booster antenna in Argos, run the co-ax cable from the wall socket into that, and then pick up the signal on the radio from a different room? would I have to do anything with the radio / stereo to "point" it at the booster antenna, or am I talking through my hat?

As ever I am clueless when it comes to technology, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

aoa321 wrote:
    hi all,

we have NTL in our house, there are two outputs on the "socket" on the wall, one for TV and the other for radio. The question is how do I use the radio slot?

Do I have to run a co-axial cable directly from the socket into the back of a stereo system? In that case the radio would have to be beside the TV so why wouldn't I just turn on the audio channel on the NTL receiver?

OR can I buy some sort of booster antenna in Argos, run the co-ax cable from the wall socket into that, and then pick up the signal on the radio from a different room? would I have to do anything with the radio / stereo to "point" it at the booster antenna, or am I talking through my hat?

As ever I am clueless when it comes to technology, any advice would be appreciated.

NTL carry these radio channels on their standard Analogue package (Dublin shown but they have listings on that page for their other coverage areas). To get these, you (as you said) run a cable into the back of your radio. Mind you, some radio's don't have a cable antenna input but anyway thats for you to find out. The quality of the radio stations from the cable should be better than the reception especially on MW/LW (for bbc5live etc) and not subject to the atmospheric interference that you get when listening over the airwaves.

If you have NTL Digital then you will also have some "built in" radio channels which you can find if you use the on screen menu. To listen to these you will have to use your TV speakers (unless you run some phono cables from the red/white out's on the back of the tv (or through a scart) to the a spare in on your HIFI).

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

Thanks for the reply, that's more or less as I understood it - I'll buy a radio and make sure that it has and slot for cable antenna input

Thank you

Advertisement