Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does nowhere actually stock TV's?

Options
  • 09-10-2005 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

I've spent the last two weeks looking for a 32" LCD TV, been to about 7 of the biggest shops in the country, and all ive heard so far is "you have to order one" or "we will get them in X weeks". Not just one model, 4 or 5 ive been looking at, from Samsung, LG, Sharp; keep hearing the same story. I've walked into shops with cash, and left with it every time.

Is this just a policy shops have of trying to be clever, by not buying stock and saving money, and only ordering for a customer? Or is it that there is such high demand shops are selling out? Dixons etc, told me they wouldnt sell the display models.

I'm worried about going in and placing an order incase it ends up being months before i get it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

DID have stock, i picked up a plasma from their fonthill warehouse the day I paid, I think harvey norman have lcd/plasma in stock too.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I guess it's difficult for shops to have stock of every model and make, considering their prices, plus many probably dont want to get caught with screens as the prices of LCD's and Plasma's drop quite a bit in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I was in Dixons in Jervis St. about a month ago looking at 32" LCDs, they had 10 or so different models. Went in last week and they've hardly any left. There was a Sony 30" I was thinking of buying, the guy said they were out of stock but getting more in soon, then when he went to check he came back and said the order for 100+ had been cancelled and he'd no idea why.

I think a lot of shops might have been selling off all their older models recently to make space for new ones in the run up to Christmas. they'll probably have more new models in in the next few weeks. Which means extra £££.

I've been looking around online since, and I'm definitely going to order from a UK website. Dixons here wanted nearly 1500 for a Samsung LE32R41B - there's about 6 UK websites who'll deliver it to Ireland for about GBP840 (=EUR1250). It's just a matter of finding one which seems to have had good consumer reviews.

Obviously though you need to see the TV in a shop first, so I'm lucky Dixons still had the Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

MOH wrote:
    Dixons here wanted nearly 1500 for a Samsung LE32R41B - there's about 6 UK websites who'll deliver it to Ireland for about GBP840 (=EUR1250). It's just a matter of finding one which seems to have had good consumer reviews.

I've just ordered the exact same TV online. I continued my search for a TV in shops for weeks, looked for ANY model that suited my needs as it became apparent that i wasnt going to find what models i wanted, and even still, was told 4-6 weeks if i ordered there and then if i was lucky! Curry's checked their system for me for some models, which werent in stock in any of their shops here, or in the UK even! PC World had the LE32R51B in stock, which was the only place i found with a TV in stock, but i couldnt get past the black angular shape at the bottom..

gs39t wrote:
    I've just ordered the exact same TV online. I continued my search for a TV in shops for weeks, looked for ANY model that suited my needs as it became apparent that i wasnt going to find what models i wanted, and even still, was told 4-6 weeks if i ordered there and then if i was lucky! Curry's checked their system for me for some models, which werent in stock in any of their shops here, or in the UK even! PC World had the LE32R51B in stock, which was the only place i found with a TV in stock, but i couldnt get past the black angular shape at the bottom..

Where did you get it/how much? I've had great fun with websites: ShopIreland let you get as far as confirming your order before telling you amazon won't ship large TVs to Ireland, a few others will only deliver to my home billing address and not my work address (even though it's registered with my credit card company), others haven't responded to simple queries about the product, which I use as a basic test of how good their customer support is before I buy.

Think I'm going to go with Dabs for £875 inc. delivery when they get stock in next week, but if you know anywhere that has it in stock now for a decent price I'd be grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

MOH wrote:
    Where did you get it/how much? I've had great fun with websites: ShopIreland let you get as far as confirming your order before telling you amazon won't ship large TVs to Ireland, a few others will only deliver to my home billing address and not my work address (even though it's registered with my credit card company), others haven't responded to simple queries about the product, which I use as a basic test of how good their customer support is before I buy.

Think I'm going to go with Dabs for £875 inc. delivery when they get stock in next week, but if you know anywhere that has it in stock now for a decent price I'd be grateful!

Komplett.ie - cheaper than most shops here (well, ALL) but not as cheap as some UK stores.

They dont have it in stock, but order from a supplier ....i dont know where my TV is actually

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Yes, I have been looking at Komplett.ie too, interesting thing I noticed was the difference in price between komplett.nl (the Dutch version of the Website) and komplett.ie. For example:

The Irish site:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=PRL

The dutch site for exactly the same TV:
    http://www.komplett.nl/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=PRL

So even though komplett.ie are the cheapest "Irish" source of LCD TV's, and considering you pay separately for shipping anyway, they are still ripping us off.

Jerome

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

jeromeof wrote:
    Yes, I have been looking at Komplett.ie too, interesting thing I noticed was the difference in price between komplett.nl (the Dutch version of the Website) and komplett.ie. For example:

The Irish site:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=PRL

The dutch site for exactly the same TV:
    http://www.komplett.nl/k/ki.asp?sku=313313&cks=PRL

So even though komplett.ie are the cheapest "Irish" source of LCD TV's, and considering you pay separately for shipping anyway, they are still ripping us off.

Jerome

What VAT rate do they pay in Holland?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

Stekelly wrote:
    What VAT rate do they pay in Holland?
    In Holland it is 19%, so to me that makes the VAT 2% more expensive. So 2% of €1399 is < €25 so I think the price should be only about €25 more expensive.

That does look a bit odd. For some reason the Irish Komplett site has the R51B listed as 50 Euro dearer than the R41B. For the same TV in a different colour? The Dutch site has them both at the same price. I'm sure the Irish one had them both listed as 1399 last week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement