Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid Fuel Stove with boiler

Options
  • 09-10-2005 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong area. I hope someone can give me a little advice.

I've bought a second hand solid fuel burner with integrated boiler - the type with a boiler designed to run radiators. The boiler is simply a tank that surrounds the fire box on three sides and has four fittings to the rear to receive plumbing (two in and two out I would guess).

Now, I don't actually want to use the boiler function and instead use it as a solid fuel burner within a fireplace to heat one end of my home. My question is: What to with about the boiler part.

Should I leave the boiler empty and the fittings un-caped or should I fill the boiler with either water or oil and then cap the fittings (would I need to allow for expansion of the liquid?) or another option?

I'd like the burner to be warming rather than just decorative - hence I'm thinking of filling the boiler - but I wouldn't want to crack the boiler with failer to allow expansion.

Thanks in advance

Tomo

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi,

If you dont intend to use the bioler, then remove it from the firebox, and reline the area with fire bricks. Or get some one competent to do it for you.

DO NOT fill the boiler with any liquid and cap it. If you do, and light a fire, then the pressure build up in the boiler will explode, :eek: :eek: :eek: and probably take your room with it.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I agree, do not fill the boiler with any liquid.
    From what you say, I do not think that the boiler can be removed. Maybe it should be filled with sand and the firebox lined with bricks.

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What make is the Burner? Is is a recognised brand?
    I know that some of the waterford stanley range have non removable boilers.
    Mainly older the older type.
    I would hesitate to fill ANY solid fuel device with Oil.
    Vaporised oil is highly explosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Ho Tomo,

Seriously please do not try installing this unit yourself, I had to do a rescue job where a boiler was diconnected, neither the homeowner or the insurance company were impressed at what we found in the clean up.

Advertisement